• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4 wheel drive not engaging

mudguppy

thanks, gringle' for actually answering my question.

so, from this exploded view, if it were a problem at the transfer, it could be:
  • bent shift fork (14)
  • missing/broken fork retaining pin (13)
  • broken/worn collar (24)
  • broken dogs (24 and/or 23)
i would think these mechanical components are unlikely the problem. rather, i would think the likely problems could be (as already suggested)
  • actuator air supply line kinked or broken
  • stuck or worn actuator

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Is there an O-ring in there somewhere to seal the plunger? Number 4?

Nevermind, they are brass. TM 9-2520-246-34-1 has another view with names of the parts.

Last edited:

BugEyeBear

ok! SOME of you guys are *******s. i wheeled the duece in low gears while being very conscious of my surroundings. i would then leave it at my friends house right next to where we all go wheelin. dont forget i have an E-brake and can downshift. but regardless brakes are very important and i just picked up a new master cylinder. but in the meantime its not going anywhere until i fix the brakes and the 4 wheel drive problem.

I HAVE AIRSHIFT BY THE WAY

PS- the wheeling spot is not even a 1/4 mile down this back road that no1 drives. there are also no stop signs or stop lights. some of you need to chill out. i would just like to figure out whats wrong with the 4 wheel. any help or input is greatly appreciated:grd:
"SmokeyBobber"

Please don't get too offended by anyone bashing you regarding the brakes issue. Brakes have always been a VERY SENSITIVE ISSUE here on the Deuce forum! (Best to avoid mentioning any brake deficiency.... IMHO... Unless you are requiesting brake system advice...)

Most everyone on here will BAG on you for any perceived safety issue (or occasionally just for the sport of it), BUT they will also be the first to lend a hand or share knowledge.
Kinda like some of my best friends do!

GLAD TO SEE that you are now getting the answers you needed!! :grin:

SmokeyBobber

"SmokeyBobber"

Please don't get too offended by anyone bashing you regarding the brakes issue. Brakes have always been a VERY SENSITIVE ISSUE here on the Deuce forum! (Best to avoid mentioning any brake deficiency.... IMHO... Unless you are requiesting brake system advice...)

Most everyone on here will BAG on you for any perceived safety issue (or occasionally just for the sport of it), BUT they will also be the first to lend a hand or share knowledge.
Kinda like some of my best friends do!

GLAD TO SEE that you are now getting the answers you needed!! :grin:
thanks. :beer:

stumps

There is a primary (wet), and a secondary (dry) tank in most trucks that have air brakes. The primary tank is straight off of the compressor, and the secondary tank is connected to the primary tank with a check valve. The primary tank's purpose is to collect water to feed clean dry air to the secondary tank. The secondary tank's purpose is to drive the brakes with clean dry air. The check valve is there to keep the brakes safe if the compressor, or its regulator malfunction and leak all of the air out of the primary tank.

In the case of the deuce, the primary tank is the one closest to the centerline of the truck, and the secondary tank is nearest the outside. You shouldn't see much water out of the secondary (dry) tank, but the primary (wet) tank is usually quite soggy after a trip.

The front axle solenoid takes so little air, that I doubt it picked up much water from the air system. Air up, turn the engine off, and listen to what happens when you flip the switch. You should hear a hiss and a click, or clunk. When you switch off, you should hear a loud his at the switch, and another click, or clunk.

-Chuck

SmokeyBobber

There is a primary (wet), and a secondary (dry) tank in most trucks that have air brakes. The primary tank is straight off of the compressor, and the secondary tank is connected to the primary tank with a check valve. The primary tank's purpose is to collect water to feed clean dry air to the secondary tank. The secondary tank's purpose is to drive the brakes with clean dry air. The check valve is there to keep the brakes safe if the compressor, or its regulator malfunction and leak all of the air out of the primary tank.

In the case of the deuce, the primary tank is the one closest to the centerline of the truck, and the secondary tank is nearest the outside. You shouldn't see much water out of the secondary (dry) tank, but the primary (wet) tank is usually quite soggy after a trip.

The front axle solenoid takes so little air, that I doubt it picked up much water from the air system. Air up, turn the engine off, and listen to what happens when you flip the switch. You should hear a hiss and a click, or clunk. When you switch off, you should hear a loud his at the switch, and another click, or clunk.

-Chuck
yes it makes all the sounds you talk about.

Could the four wheel not be engaging because the driver side hub isnt sitting on there right? the bearing in the driver side hub were shot and ****.

stumps

yes it makes all the sounds you talk about.

Could the four wheel not be engaging because the driver side hub isnt sitting on there right? the bearing in the driver side hub were shot and ****.
Remember that deuces are really 2 wheel/3 wheel drive vehicles. Because of the open differentials, if you unlock one axle from the wheel by any means, that whole drive axle will be disabled.

That said, I can not imagine how you could put the hub on in such a way that it won't drive, but will bolt up.

-Chuck

mudguppy

... Could the four wheel not be engaging because the driver side hub isnt sitting on there right? the bearing in the driver side hub were shot and ****.
possibly, thought the hub would have to be run out a good, what, 1 1/2"+ for the axle stub shaft to pull out from the drive flange on the outside of the hub.

BugEyeBear

In the case of the deuce, the primary tank is the one closest to the centerline of the truck, and the secondary tank is nearest the outside. You shouldn't see much water out of the secondary (dry) tank, but the primary (wet) tank is usually quite soggy after a trip....

-Chuck
THANKS for the explanation!

Typically whenever I open the drain petcock valves on my '71 M35A2's air tanks the inside tank expels some moisture, while the outside tank just blows air. NOW I understand why!

My '52 GMC XM211 also has dual air tanks, & unfortunately the inside tank has a stuck drain petcock valve. So I've just been draining the outer tank (always dry) & getting a new petcock valve for the inner tank has been "on the list". NOW I realize that I need to stop procrastinating and get this inner tank drain petcock valve replaced ASAP!!

Again, THANKS!

SmokeyBobber

I FIXED IT!!! it was the driver side wheel hub. i replaced the bearings and races and **** and now the 4 wheel works. it wasnt catching before because the everything in the wheel hub was toast and was almost virtually nothing holding it on. YIKES! kinda scary. But ya its fixed along with the brakes.

ill post some pics of my bobbed deuce with the 46s on it next time i go to work on it.

:rock on:

BugEyeBear

I FIXED IT!!! it was the driver side wheel hub. i replaced the bearings and races and **** and now the 4 wheel works. it wasnt catching before because the everything in the wheel hub was toast and was almost virtually nothing holding it on. YIKES! kinda scary. But ya its fixed along with the brakes.

ill post some pics of my bobbed deuce with the 46s on it next time i go to work on it.

:rock on:
GOOD TO HEAR!!! :-D

Now on to the NEXT Project?? :wink: