• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

46 vs 53 inch tires on a bobbed deuce?

92RT-TT

Thanks for the info! I probably wont be wheeling it too much so the 46's on stock suspension should work out great for me! Also I was planning on re-routing the exhaust to the back of the cab (kind of like on extreme 4x4) so I shouldn't have that in the way either :D

92RT-TT

Actually if all goes according to plan on the 21st (when the auction ends) I'll be the proud owner of an M35A3 so then I can start worrying about my modding of it hehe

sgoeser

I read so much about tire sizes my eyes are crossing. My mental question hasn't been answered yet. Boyce Equiptment is building my Bobbed. He is saying 395/85 on his wheels. I really would like 14.00R/20's again on his wheels. Because of where I life, I would like to drive at 65MPH without the engine sounding like it is about to come apart. I ran the numbers and the RPM to road speed sounds right for this tire size. Is my thinking right? Do I need to lift the bed or Cab? Moving the exhaust would work for me if needed. I don't plan on move much weight but off the road is where I'll be most of the time except for when I'll need to travel to where I would like to do my off roading. I have a Ranch but have the trucks for its' needs. I'm just looking to have some big boy fun. Help

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read so much about tire sizes my eyes are crossing. My mental question hasn't been answered yet. Boyce Equiptment is building my Bobbed. He is saying 395/85 on his wheels. I really would like 14.00R/20's again on his wheels. Because of where I life, I would like to drive at 65MPH without the engine sounding like it is about to come apart. I ran the numbers and the RPM to road speed sounds right for this tire size. Is my thinking right? Do I need to lift the bed or Cab? Moving the exhaust would work for me if needed. I don't plan on move much weight but off the road is where I'll be most of the time except for when I'll need to travel to where I would like to do my off roading. I have a Ranch but have the trucks for its' needs. I'm just looking to have some big boy fun. Help

395's are probably the better choice. They're still in use by the military and will be readily available for quite some time to come.

Carnac's deuce runs 62mph comfortably on 42" tires. 395's are 45".

Jmho

sgoeser

Thanks for your reply. I live 25 miles from the closest store and I am sure for the first month the engine won't have a chance to cool down. I'll find a reason to go to town just about every day. The road leading into town is 65MPH and everyone travels 65 to 70. I don't want to hold up traffic because everyone knows me or will if I travel any slower then that. I live in the mountains at 5000 feet, will there be enough power to handle this elevation? I'll wait for a few more posting before I chose the tire size. The 49's will give me a bit more ground clearance too, this could be helpful with the snow.

red

You won't get a deuce bobber to handle 65mph without a lot of changes, and not cheap. Engine swap, conversion to air brakes, power steering (to control the road manners), tires, and either a transmission swap to a Eaton Fuller 9513 or regearing the axles.

Up here in Utah the multifuel lacks the power to get you there. 55mph in a deuce on 395's is comfy. I drove over 4800 miles in mine like that. Cruising at 55 in a 65 is not a problem. Speed limit of 75+ gets to be a concern.

Last edited:

sgoeser

M35A2 Bobbed/M105 trailer bed installed, LDT 465 engine, Detroit Lockers both ends, 15,000lb electric winch, and most everything else stock except for a clean up as in paint, brakes, fluids, hoses, belts, new fiberglass top, all new glass and so on. The tires I was thinking of were either Goodyear AT2A or Michelin XZL both 14.00R20 both on 11/20 Boyce rims. Really 55mph rating. Boyce was leaning me towards 395/85R20 Michelin Tires. I was looking for a bit more reduction in RPM so I could feel comfortable at 65mph. Also another inch and a half ground clearance too.

red

Oh yes I thought of turning up the fuel on the pump some to squeeze more power. Just a bit, nothing over powering.
Mine was turned up, egt spikes of 1300 sustained at 1100 (max) I could hit 60, at 2000ft elevation flat terrain. Up here at 5000ft, no.

Price wise your looking at 10-15k in parts to get the deuce to be happy at 65mph, over what you will be paying for 55mph.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M35A2 Bobbed/M105 trailer bed installed, LDT 465 engine, Detroit Lockers both ends, 15,000lb electric winch, and most everything else stock except for a clean up as in paint, brakes, fluids, hoses, belts, new fiberglass top, all new glass and so on. The tires I was thinking of were either Goodyear AT2A or Michelin XZL both 14.00R20 both on 11/20 Boyce rims. Really 55mph rating. Boyce was leaning me towards 395/85R20 Michelin Tires. I was looking for a bit more reduction in RPM so I could feel comfortable at 65mph. Also another inch and a half ground clearance too.
At the same pricepoint I'd prefer the 395's. I've got an M109A3 (pending euc) and I plan to use 395's on mrap rims for it.

My 5ton is on G177's. If I end up with another 5ton on super singles, it'll be on 16's or 395's.

The tires are not the limiting factor for "being comfortable at 65mph". You can push them to that, but they just aren't designed for it.... as long as nothing unexpected happens you'll be fine, but a panic stop in a deuce at 65mph likely won't end well.

Turning up the fuel invites melted pistons.

I suspect red knows of what he speaks regarding UT driving conditions. ....

Section8

Gpappy,
Any chance you can get pictures of that rig with 53's and no lift. I have been wondering how that would look and how tight clearances would be. My similar build will have a cummins 6bt or international 395 gasser.
Still looking for the 7 to 9 speed tranny to determine ultimate engine swap.
I kinda dig the idea of big meaty tires almost clearing the hood. Even thought abut dropping the leaf springs under the axles and lowering the cab to get the look I want.

mericleman50

Mudpuppy inquiry

mudpuppy What's the backspacing and rims your using. Mraps or hemtts? If I stacked frame sections would that be enough lift for 53s? Rhonda is amazing!!!!!

sgoeser

20161005_101645.jpg20161004_161429.jpg20160720_145430.jpg20160725_182623.jpgThese are pictures showing 49 in tires. They are on Boyce rims. There is no lift or rubbing on the exhaust. The truck will run all day at 55MPH at 2200 RPM or 62MPH at 2400 RPM. I used the speedo drive from a 5 ton and the speedo is right on. Getting no less then 10 MPG with a 700 mile run with 12.2MPG. I live in the mountains starting at 5000 feet and can climb a 10,000 foot pass in high gear without any sweat. Other then having to use a ladder to be able to stand on the front fenders to open the hood I find no objections with these tires.

sgoeser

Let me also mention the pump hasn't been turned up at all. I pull at 55mph about 5 lbs of boost with a EGT of 900. If i push it up a long hill the boost will hover between 10-12 lbs with a max EGT of 1100f. I am running 25 PSI in all the tires and it steer and holds the road with out any finesse. Yes take in account this truck weights 11,000 lbs and you are running large tires with small military brakes. So leave some room to stop and don't drive the truck like it is a sports car. And, for big boy toys I got the largest in the Home Depot parking lot.

rustystud

View attachment 649730View attachment 649731View attachment 649732View attachment 649733These are pictures showing 49 in tires. They are on Boyce rims. There is no lift or rubbing on the exhaust. The truck will run all day at 55MPH at 2200 RPM or 62MPH at 2400 RPM. I used the speedo drive from a 5 ton and the speedo is right on. Getting no less then 10 MPG with a 700 mile run with 12.2MPG. I live in the mountains starting at 5000 feet and can climb a 10,000 foot pass in high gear without any sweat. Other then having to use a ladder to be able to stand on the front fenders to open the hood I find no objections with these tires.

That is one nice bobber ! A little to tall for me but still very nice indeed !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks