• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

47 vs 49's

tm america

Size is one of the biggest factors in mud .Taller means more ground clearence and a bigger contact patch. Wider tires make a bigger contact patch to but do nothing for ground clearence.Taller wider tires are best for mud.airing down helps any tire.Everyone talks about how good ndts do aired down but 46s do the same stuff not aired down..If you aired down the 46s they leave the ndts stuck in a hole behind them:DI have never seen ndts go trough a hole that 46s got stuck in but i have seen 46s go places ndts got stuck.If you are bobbing it i would go with the 14.00s the extra ground clearence will help you more ..46s and 48s have pretty much the same contact patch size so go with the one with more ground clearence

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are NDT's considered dual purpose? The strip in the middle makes me think it is designed for operation on the highway as well as having side lugs like a rice and cane tire.

Rick

bill2444

I do alot of mud racing: No matter what size or style i always air down.
My advice: If you have lots of hp/wheel speed/light weight, then go wide and try to float on top of the mud.
If low hp/tire speed/heavy weight, then narrow and hope to find hard bottom.

Radials flex better than bias in heavy truck tires.
I am impressed by ndt's for what they are (bias,old design,cheap) can't beat the performance for the cost

spicergear

The NDT's single biggest problem is the full center rib down the center of the tire. Lets say you are in mud, like 20" of it and find the bottom- now what? You have no center of tire traction to help grab at the bottom you found. Get it? If the center rib was cut on an angle between the tread cut outs the tire would be a LOT better. I've cut tires before that had a full zigzag center tread so it had open areas in that zigzag and the tire, with no other changes, performed MUCH better. There really, REALLY isn't worth time to debate 395's vs 900x20 NDT's. If you like stock, fine, no problem...remember momentum is your friend. If you like the look of the bigger tires and serious traction on a 3 axle deuce, these are the way to go or the 15.50 XL's though the XML has a more open tread and a little lighter carcass.

Jakob

I've only had the NDT's and I got stuck on wet grass. I was trying to go up about a 10% grade in a field with long grass that the dew was still on. I had about a ton or two of dirt in the bed and had to put it in 6x6 because the rears were spinning.