• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4A084 engine info?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with the fuel problem. Experienced something similar with my 018 and finally, after cleaning the carb several times, replaced the fuel pump.
Now, I had other problems too, like low compression, which made starting a little difficult. When everything was running well, the generator head failed...found sand and gravel inside the generator and figured that's what caused the failure...

bryanselhorst

I am sorry i have no input on the thread. i do however have a question on how to time my 4a084 lll. i have a generator with that motor in it and it seems really out of time. i get a puff of smoke is all. anybody have any info on cylinder num 1,2,3,4 and plug wire locations?

Ratch

I was looking for the same thing, but was never able to find it.
However, I did read the section of the TM on timing, and found it very helpful, along with posts on the forum.
The TM will list the firing order, too.
A problem I ran into was initially timing the magneto incorrectly. I set it 180 degrees off by not going the correct number of turns when reinstalling it, but once I found the problem, it fired up and ran great. If your cables are still in the correct order, you most likely need to follow the magneto reinstall procedure to get the gears set right, then you can fine time it with a light.

bryanselhorst

Awesome thanks do you happen to know where 1-2-3-4 are located on magneto lol. I bought two one parts and one supposed to run but wires where off in a box

wciguy

My 3rd and 4th MEP-018a gensets were brand new and mounted on a trailer. Neither one had spark.....problem was oxidized points.....cleaned them with some 500 grit emery and a shot of contact cleaner. Both ran like tops afterward. Good little engines but sure go through your supply of fuel in a hurry if loaded.

rustystud

My 3rd and 4th MEP-018a gensets were brand new and mounted on a trailer. Neither one had spark.....problem was oxidized points.....cleaned them with some 500 grit emery and a shot of contact cleaner. Both ran like tops afterward. Good little engines but sure go through your supply of fuel in a hurry if loaded.
The biggest problems with "Point distributors" and "Magneto's" is the contact points and condenser's. The points oxidize and the condensers internally rot out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks