• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5.9 Cummins Re-power Question

CUCVlooseNUT

I was 22,800# here. I took it real easy. When I got on it a bit, she felt like she was threateneing to throw parts on the street.

I broke a 1410 series Dana 80 pinion yoke towing a crewcab Super Duty through rough terrain uphill. Driveshaft took out the fuel tnak on it's way out. Low speed 4lo, didn't get the clutch in quick enough when the towed veh ot hung up. If you play with fire, you're gonna get burned. :-D

My Dodge is a little over 400hp.

Deuce = low power, high weight. Dodge = high power, low weight put them together and I'm pretty sure you get BOOM!

Not to say you shouldn't do it or I wouldn't but you gotta be careful.
Wow, now that might be a bit excessive to pull behind a pickup...

As far as your swap, It sounds like great Idea. Personally since it is a duce, I'd be looking for a medium duty Fuller 9 speed for behind that Cummins. Not the huge tractor trailer trans, but the smaller version that was found in Ford L-8000's and other medium duty trucks..

There's lots of helpful people, advice & tips, parts for sale, etc... over at http://www.Competitiondiesel.com that may help you with your swap.

DavidWymore

Wow, now that might be a bit excessive to pull behind a pickup...

As far as your swap, It sounds like great Idea. Personally since it is a duce, I'd be looking for a medium duty Fuller 9 speed for behind that Cummins. Not the huge tractor trailer trans, but the smaller version that was found in Ford L-8000's and other medium duty trucks..

There's lots of helpful people, advice & tips, parts for sale, etc... over at http://www.Competitiondiesel.com that may help you with your swap.
Yeah. Straight, flat country roads, very slowly. Don't try this at home..., you know the drilll. :-D

rorybellows

wow a 10 speed behind a 5.9. that would look funny. get a 5 or 6 speed out of a medium duty (32000 gross) truck. that would definitely handle the power of a mild cummins, and since it was made for heavyish truck, it shouldnt have any problem living in a 13000 pound deuce.

mahdey

wow a 10 speed behind a 5.9. that would look funny. get a 5 or 6 speed out of a medium duty (32000 gross) truck. that would definitely handle the power of a mild cummins, and since it was made for heavyish truck, it shouldnt have any problem living in a 13000 pound deuce.
it was pretty cool.

mudguppy

before people lead you completely in the wrong direction, a couple of things to mention.

first, the industrial 5.9s are not "heavier duty". in fact, the only difference in the 12v's found in pickups versus industrial or commercial applications is the pistons. industrial pistons do have some advantages, though - they have a taller top deck, larger cups (to accomodate 155° injector spray pattern), and turbo'd motors have a thicker top ring. crank, rods, bearings, etc are all either the same or comparable. however, some stationary application motors may have a different cam.

secondly, again, you'll need to replace the governor if you intend to drive it on the street. stationary or ag application motors have a load-based governor versus a speed-based governor that is on an auto application. RVQ vs RVK style governors; i can't remember which is which. either way, you'll pretty much be looking to swap the entire injector pump as it will be substantially easier than trying to change governors if it can even be done.

third, nv4500s: these trans have been proven to be pretty much bullet-proof. yes, they are technically only rated at 450ft-lbs. however, sled pullers are using them w/ nothing more than an input upgrade. while i agree that the gear ratio is very wide, it is almost identical to the deuce OD trans ratios as far as spread is concerned. and if you want to move up to a MD 6spd because of the nv4500's "low rating," well most MD trans max out at a rating of 650. so, regardless, you'll be exceeding the torque rating w/ nothing more than sliding the fuel plate forward and modding the afc.

my swap will be using an nv4500 if i can't find a 6 - 9 speed that i like for the right price (including all swap parts). understanding that the ratios are the same, but my 12v has a 4k rpm governor spring kit - that makes the 5spd tremendously more liveable.

my advice is to keep the motor, find a junkyard 5.9 out of a pick-up, and swap over the injector pump, injector lines, and turbo (plus maybe manifold). whatever IC you can find that will fit. since you have larger piston cups, you can use the budget friendly 370 marine injectors w/ the "wrong" spray pattern. sell off the other stuff to recoup some cost.

mahdey

before people lead you completely in the wrong direction, a couple of things to mention.

first, the industrial 5.9s are not "heavier duty". in fact, the only difference in the 12v's found in pickups versus industrial or commercial applications is the pistons. industrial pistons do have some advantages, though - they have a taller top deck, larger cups (to accomodate 155° injector spray pattern), and turbo'd motors have a thicker top ring. crank, rods, bearings, etc are all either the same or comparable. however, some stationary application motors may have a different cam.

secondly, again, you'll need to replace the governor if you intend to drive it on the street. stationary or ag application motors have a load-based governor versus a speed-based governor that is on an auto application. RVQ vs RVK style governors; i can't remember which is which. either way, you'll pretty much be looking to swap the entire injector pump as it will be substantially easier than trying to change governors if it can even be done.

third, nv4500s: these trans have been proven to be pretty much bullet-proof. yes, they are technically only rated at 450ft-lbs. however, sled pullers are using them w/ nothing more than an input upgrade. while i agree that the gear ratio is very wide, it is almost identical to the deuce OD trans ratios as far as spread is concerned. and if you want to move up to a MD 6spd because of the nv4500's "low rating," well most MD trans max out at a rating of 650. so, regardless, you'll be exceeding the torque rating w/ nothing more than sliding the fuel plate forward and modding the afc.

my swap will be using an nv4500 if i can't find a 6 - 9 speed that i like for the right price (including all swap parts). understanding that the ratios are the same, but my 12v has a 4k rpm governor spring kit - that makes the 5spd tremendously more liveable.

my advice is to keep the motor, find a junkyard 5.9 out of a pick-up, and swap over the injector pump, injector lines, and turbo (plus maybe manifold). whatever IC you can find that will fit. since you have larger piston cups, you can use the budget friendly 370 marine injectors w/ the "wrong" spray pattern. sell off the other stuff to recoup some cost.

:roll: The marine 5.9, is heavier duty....made to be at 2200 rpm or whatever all day. The bottom has a girdle to reinforce the block, the head gasket is thicker and stronger etc etc. they are built with the knowledge that the engine will be worked hard.

mudguppy

:roll: The marine 5.9, is heavier duty....made to be at 2200 rpm or whatever all day. The bottom has a girdle to reinforce the block, the head gasket is thicker and stronger etc etc. they are built with the knowledge that the engine will be worked hard.
all the head gaskets are the same now. have been for at least 5 years. and, ok, marine has a girdle - whoopty-crap. the motor in question probably doesn't. block, crank, rods, head, etc are the same or comparable.

:roll:-back at'cha...

Verkstad

secondly said:
if[/I] it can even be done.
I've driven many tractor pump motors on the street, Mercedes Unimogs. It's almost automatic the way your brain to foot action compensates for the constant HP type of govenor. The only time I would notice something strange is when you've got the pedal mashed down while coming up a steep grade, when the motor eventually catches up to the loading or you begin to crest the hill one feels the motor really surge ahead with the power.
A little unusual, but nothing too dramatic and one gets used it real quick then brain - foot to pedal reacts accordingly.

Jakob