• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 TON air filter cross references number?

insanejecke

OK today i took apart my air filter housing on my M816 well the air filter is black ... So i want a new one better then stock.
So does anyone have a cross references number for it. Or the number for a K&N replacement?
I have looked in the TM and the numbers there don't help.And i did a search and came up empty.

Thank insane

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read the threads at the bottom of this page.

There is no such equivalent filter.

Doug Hanson

You can use a Fram CA362, then cross drill a bolt for a cotter pin, plug the hole in the center of the element with a bolt, two flat washers and a nut with the cotterpin to keep the nut from backing off. Its the best element I could find, there is no outer skirting on this one.

I was considering calling a few of the "dry cotton filter" companies and seeing if they would be interested in taking a 5 ton series air filter to use as a template and make them. Worst they could say is no.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... So i want a new one better then stock....
Silly question, but why do you need one that is better than stock? (Before someone slams you for thinking you are smarter than the people who designed the engine and don't realise your situation)
.....Are you pulling more cfm's (with a Turbo)?
....Do you want the 'washable' kind so can save money in the long run?
....Are you useing it in a VERY dusty/sandy environment?

Just interested. I might even go K&N down the road if one is found that works. (Way down the road - I have a couple of NOS spares that work just fine)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I was considering calling a few of the "dry cotton filter" companies and seeing if they would be interested in taking a 5 ton series air filter to use as a template and make them. Worst they could say is no.
The stock filter is a washable style filter.

Here's pics of the filter that came out a 5 ton I had. I didn't take pics of washing it though. Just used a 5 gallon bucket with soapy water, blew it out as well with compressed air and left it to dry for a while.

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Oh and BTW, a K&N would have easily passed all that "moon sand" through it into the engine.

insanejecke

Silly question, but why do you need one that is better than stock? (Before someone slams you for thinking you are smarter than the people who designed the engine and don't realise your situation)
.....Are you pulling more cfm's (with a Turbo)?
....Do you want the 'washable' kind so can save money in the long run?
....Are you useing it in a VERY dusty/sandy environment?

Just interested. I might even go K&N down the road if one is found that works. (Way down the road - I have a couple of NOS spares that work just fine)
Very simple answer I just would like to have more power and performance. Better air flow = better performance, and economy.
And i don't have the money to put a bigger motor in it so i would like to add a few of little things to help out.
And I like K&N because i have used them on all my vehicles and i could tell the differences with them on.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Very simple answer I just would like to have more power and performance.
Then you should look at a turbo. Trying to change the filter to anything with a higher CFM won't help in your case of the NHC 250. Naturally aspirated diesels will only suck so much air.

insanejecke

A turbo is a lot of work to make it work on the m816 i could do it but again i rather spend a little then a lot if you know what i mean, and K&Ns have a million mile warranty, i don't think ill ever hit a million miles in it lol

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you're going for more power, I highly suggest taking a drive in the M816 and toss a $100 bill out the window. You'll see the same effect in a 240hp 34,000lb vehicle as adding a poorly filtering air filter to the non-turbo engine.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There was nothing meant to be funny in that post. 1hp, even 10hp in a 34,000lb truck is immeasurable in terms of driveability.

BTW that nasty air filter I posted, the truck still ran with it in that condition and drove 45 miles home. The military oversizes and underrates everything.

insanejecke

Well washing mine isn't going to help its riped. inside the housing the ( what i think is the support arms were the filter rest was broken off and i guess when who ever installed it. might have riped it and when i pulled it out I sure i riped it. and if a new 1 cost anywhere between 75-100 dollars i was warning if i could just get a better kind or better filter all together that is meant to be reusable and save money for the long run and have better air flow.
I know what you mean as well

so please kindly close this thread and thank you all for the help

Scarecrow1

You know Josh they told Henry Ford he was a dreamer and his ideas were worthless with his approach a production line. He was told by the big companies it couldn't be done. So he went to the small ones and the rest is history. You may not be able to make your idea work for the filter but never stop trying new ways to make things better than stock...... :)