• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton Bobbed w/w pricing

WildWiley

Hello all, I was curious what a good price to pay for a 1970's bobbed 5 ton with winch and new tires would be. It has all the regulars such as the trailer bed swap and ribs and cover for the bed. I am just unsure what the going rate was for these as I am new to the idea of having one of these but I must have one! Thanks for the help in advance:cool:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all, I was curious what a good price to pay for a 1970's bobbed 5 ton with winch and new tires would be. It has all the regulars such as the trailer bed swap and ribs and cover for the bed. I am just unsure what the going rate was for these as I am new to the idea of having one of these but I must have one! Thanks for the help in advance:cool:
The question is not what it has but how well it's been done.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Lots of 5tons out there. 800 series? Gasser? 900 series? Multifuel? You need specifics and pics if your going to ask about prices.

Alredneck

Banned
Its worth as much as you are willing to pay! Last I checked bobbed 5tons werent in the Kelly Blue book!

The Purist would say it isnt worth anything since you chopped it up!

The Open Minded would say it may have more utility ( even I doubt that ) and fit in with society better ( shouldnt offend the HOA as much )!

What would I know, I got brain damage!

Alredneck

Banned
That was a 800 series with a 250cummins no multi! Its not a very good picture but fit and finish seem a lil hacked to me! Ive seen some really good bobbers and so eeecckk im not putting that thing on my trailer bobbers!:shock:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
While that is correct, I know guys that have run up to 50% WMO and said it does fine. I know its far away from you, but Pete(pctrans) has a real nice bobbed 5ton for (I think) $10 or 11k. I doubt you could do much better(price and build quality), unless you find one close.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I built 2 bobbed 5 tons with winches and 53"ers i sold one for $8k and one for $10k.both had new paint jobs.My friend has one for sale for $7500.

Angry Iron

I am in the process of Bobbing a M818, it is for sell. It is worth what someone will pay me for it. Will be a nice truck once complete and can be built any way someone will pay me to build it. I say at least 15K for a nice one.

Preacherboy

For the really high prices that some ask for a bobbed deuce or 5-ton they must be really uninformed of what these trucks actually cost. $2500 for the truck, $600 in parts for the bob, $500 for a decent trailer with tarp and bows, $400 or so in hemtt wheels (triple that for deuce wheel adapter plates) and another $500 for tires, and about $3000 for your labor = $7,500 or make it $8500 in case wheels and tires are more. So the list price might start at $8900, add another $1500 for a deuce with air assist power steering.

But, if you just want to use a cut down stock bed I'd subtract some money and if you do not want massive tires and hemtt wheels it would be cheaper still.

My dad and I would be doing this on the side if we had a large, heated polebarn. I wouldn't pay over $9,000 for a bobbed 5-ton and not over $10,000 for a bobbed deuce with power steering, even if they had been repainted. I'll build you trucks for those prices. Some might want more for their labor, but I'm happy with $20 an hour and $3000 is 150 hours or 2 guys at 75 hours. To me it should be doable for sure, I actually figure 3 guys with propper tools could do an awesome bob job in 3 12 hour days....but maybe I'm nuts.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
The truck I sold for $7500 I didnt make much on,$2000 in tires and wheels.53" goodyears arent cheap.In the long run some times you get paid for your labor sometimes you break even.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks