• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton Bogies under a deuce

eldgenb

with all of the 16's under a deuce questions that seem to resurface time and time again, why couldn't you slide the bogie from a 5 ton underneath a deuce and take some leaves out of the pack? sure beats cutting stretching and welding the dogbones in my opinion, especially for the "less confident" fabricators who would normally pay someone else to do it for them. Just a thought.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
you would have to change the front axle, also the t/c drives on the other side then a 5t

jwaller

dunno, are the springs the same width? are the frames the same width? are the spring pockets on the axels in the same place? if yes to all then it would be an easy swap. if not then it's just going about the same thing a different way.

eldgenb

maybe i did not put it the right way up above. I am not recommending swapping 5 ton running gear, yes the frames are the same width and the rest of the hardware in the bogie will be reused to mount the deuce axles into the 5 ton bogie so everything should swap right over. You would have to get the center driveline stretched but you would have to do that no matter what. All I am saying is that it is safer than cut and weld and the average guy could do it in a weekend. Not to mention if you stretch the deuce bogey you are increasing the leverage of the axle against the spring pack so you are going to loose payload capability and the spring barely rides in the cage of the axle when stretched out that far. For those interested in doing this just find some of the 5 ton bobber guys I bet they have a fair share of those laying around. Just my .02

Trango

If I may venture a guess, the original poster was discussing the use of the 5T suspension on the 2.5T axles.

And yes, the frames are the same width. I can think of a few issues interfacing the 5T bogies and the 2.5T axles:

1. The tapered studs on the dogbones may be thicker on the 5T, precluding use with the 2.5T axle brackets.

2. I would guess that the leafs are also incompatible, but that's little more than a hunch.

3. If you are forced into using the 5T axle brackets, the axle [square] tubes are different dimensions. The 5T is a hair under 5", and the 2.5T axle is (as memory serves me) 4" on a side.

If you can solve 1 and 2, then you could do that.

That said, swapping those bogies is probably a major, major hassle, even with a crane to help. I would wager that lengthening the 6 dogbones each by a few inches, along with adding a leaf, would be much easier.

Unforgiven

GVWR is the point.

Deuce = under 26,000 = legal for residential. Considered a Medium Duty truck.

5 Ton = > 26.000 = illegal to store in residential neighborhoods.

The point would be to spread the rear tandems to allow larger tires. Hence the question is posted in the Deuce Modification Forum.

:wink:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
well if you add 5 ton axles to a M35a2 you put the truck into the same GVWR as a 5ton.

Are you just going to point to the data plate to "prove" your rating? It would be simpler to change out the data plate on a 5ton with one from the M35.

Seems like a lot or work to remake the wheel.. To each his own.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
well if you add 5 ton axles to a M35a2 you put the truck into the same GVWR as a 5ton.

Are you just going to point to the data plate to "prove" your rating? It would be simpler to change out the data plate on a 5ton with one from the M35.

Seems like a lot or work to remake the wheel.. To each his own.
So what are you on the hook for if you use deuce axles and 5 ton springs?

Just curious. If those monster tires MUST be installed on a deuce, I like this idea the best so far. Seems better than cutting and lengthening dog bones. Parts would be fair easy to get - find someone bobbing a 5 ton.

eldgenb

Wow, I cannot believe this old thread resurfaced, The suspension is not what would increase the GVW of the deuce it would be the rating of the axles. So a deuce with 5 ton suspension is still a deuce. After posting this I successfully did this mod. I added 3/8" plate to the deuce axle where the 5 ton hardware bolted on and reused everything from the 5 ton. I took some of the bottom leaves out of the pack and cut them short so it would not affect ride height but would soften up the suspension a bit, Worked great. I am sorry I do not have any pictures of it since the truck was built to order and I put it together pretty quick.

deucingitup

I am bringing this thread back to the surface again. I guess I should do the obligatory, "this is my first time writing on a post," but I have cruising quietly for sometime reading the wealth of knowledge, and it feels like second nature. Curious what the difference in weight was and if you managed any pics. Always wanting to see new ideas

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am bringing this thread back to the surface again. I guess I should do the obligatory, "this is my first time writing on a post," but I have cruising quietly for sometime reading the wealth of knowledge, and it feels like second nature. Curious what the difference in weight was and if you managed any pics. Always wanting to see new ideas
I commend you on your 8 month apprenticeship on SS before making your first post. :)

RAYZER

I would like to know what was done to the front axel suspension to get it to clear 1600's?
The 1600's would make the deuce hard to stop!

welldigger

I don't know if I would use 16.00's but this mod would let you mount 14.00x20's no problem. That would be pretty awesome with 6x6.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
14.00 x 20s would fit without any modification. About the same height as the 395s.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
14.00 x 20s would fit without any modification. About the same height as the 395s.
Umm no. Not at all.

14.00 = 49"
395's = 46.7"

395's are a tight fit.

You might be confused with the 14.5's. Those are 43" tall.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With all due respect, I am using an actual comparison of tires I have in my possession. I've got 14.00 x20 Goodyear AT2s on a 5 ton and I placed a 395 Michelin on an MRAP wheel (both tires have air pressure) next to it. Near identical height but difference in the width. Neither tire is new but both have plenty of tread. It is tough to envision that much wear on the AT2s and still have appreciable tread left.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks