• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton Bogies under a deuce

welldigger

Go ahead and mount them if you think they will fit. I have 395's on my truck and the bogies are only about an inch or 2 from rubbing. My buddy has 14.00x20's on his bobber and they are considerably taller. We both have like new michelin xzl's. 14.00x20's WILL NOT fit on a tandem deuce.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
With all due respect, I am using an actual comparison of tires I have in my possession. I've got 14.00 x20 Goodyear AT2s on a 5 ton and I placed a 395 Michelin on an MRAP wheel (both tires have air pressure) next to it. Near identical height but difference in the width. Neither tire is new but both have plenty of tread. It is tough to envision that much wear on the AT2s and still have appreciable tread left.
There must be some mix up, as they're very different. Here's a pic of one uninflated to an installed and inflated 395. Also the last pic is between the rears, there's simply no way 14s will fit on a standard deuce tandem. Also 395s already rub on the front of mine at the j pipe.

Attachments

welldigger

Not to hijack the thread off topic but it's interesting how on some trucks 395's rub something up front and on other trucks they don't. I have no clearance problems at all. Didn't even have to adjust my steering stops.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a pic of the sidewall tire size?
Not now but I can certainly take one (of each tire) when I get a chance. I was also thinking of jacking up the truck to measure circumference of both but it was too dark, too cold, too windy, too many other things to do, etc. I know that tire size vs. stated size varies some. Could it be there is that much variation between different makes and models?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks that way because the weight of the 5 ton is squatting the 14.00-20.
:ditto:

VPed: please jack-up that axle until tire barely spins; then take another pic and post....

I can't believe we are even discussing this: even bald 14.00R20's are about 48 inches in diameter and on a stock M35 the C-C distance between rear axles is only 48 inches. So...?

G.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G,

It may be awhile before I get to that as I have a pretty full next few days. I understand what you are getting at and I can do that to show you guys but...keep in mind that I am seeing this in person. Comparing the tire diameter from front to rear (not under the influence of weight), they are still pretty darned close. If you do the math, a new 14.00 x 20 should be 48" and a new 395 should be 46.333. I know that the math should only come close, depending on the brand and model. I guess it is not that hard to imagine a 14.00 x 20 that happens to run toward the small end should be comparable to a 395 that runs on the larger end. The whole reason I had any input on this thread to begin with was that I had already compared the tires I had on hand. I have GY MV/T's on the deuce and it would be interesting to compare those to the 14's.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
G,

It may be awhile before I get to that as I have a pretty full next few days. I understand what you are getting at and I can do that to show you guys but...keep in mind that I am seeing this in person. Comparing the tire diameter from front to rear (not under the influence of weight), they are still pretty darned close. If you do the math, a new 14.00 x 20 should be 48" and a new 395 should be 46.333. I know that the math should only come close, depending on the brand and model. I guess it is not that hard to imagine a 14.00 x 20 that happens to run toward the small end should be comparable to a 395 that runs on the larger end. The whole reason I had any input on this thread to begin with was that I had already compared the tires I had on hand. I have GY MV/T's on the deuce and it would be interesting to compare those to the 14's.
The standard height of the tires are listed below:

Goodyear = 49.2"
14.00R20_Goodyear_specifications.jpg
XZL = 46.8"
14.00R20_michelin_XZL_spec.jpg

That's straight from the manufacture.

If I get time this weekend, I'll try to park the deuce right up against the SEMTT so you can get a view of loaded heights.