• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton Buying tips-Help for Newbies-What to look for and what to be prepared to fix.

Carlo

If that's not bad what do you thing the Mercedes garage charged them to check and add if need be the anti freeze? I saw this invoice at €436,00. This is not changing but checking what's there and adding to bring it to -20 c spec.

Another Ahab

If that's not bad what do you thing the Mercedes garage charged them to check and add if need be the anti freeze? I saw this invoice at €436,00. This is not changing but checking what's there and adding to bring it to -20 c spec.
That's $600!!

No more, Carlo. Please, no more. You're a good man to let us know, but the problem is that my wallet is now starting to cry.

$600: isn't that the same tab as The Toilet Seat? Must be a magic number in Government Contracting….

Time overdue to clean house (of course until it comes up AGAIN).

Last edited:

Fix It Again Tony

Not sure which 5 ton is good for me.

Hey guys. I am wanting to buy a 5 ton. However im not sure which one would be good for me. It needs the bed off course, not the huge long ones. As new of one I can get, while still being easy to repair (repair is not a issue) (I am a mechanic), and I must be able to insure it, title it, and tag it. Any suggestions!? Grazie!

Last edited by a moderator:

71DeuceAK

Welcome to the site and the hobby!

First of all, what are your planned uses for the truck? Work truck? Toy/hobby?

I would suggest the M923/M925 of any variant (base model, A1, or A2) based on what you suggest, though the older M809 series trucks may be cheaper if you're fine with a project.

I myself am looking at saving an M939 series from a junkyard this very week...as a first project vehicle...and I'm mechanically rather uninclined as of yet, so I can relate to your relative newness to the world of these trucks.

Fix It Again Tony

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I have restored farm equipment and things of the sort so heavy equipment is no new task to me. If you need help with certain things in that aspect I might be able to help. Also I am looking into one for pretty regular work. Mostly farm work and disaster clean up one in a while. So it will need to haul a trailer, be able to haul fire wood, winch things out, etc.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SS. First thing to do is read this thread ,it is a touchy subject.
[h=1]Insurance[/h]
If your looking for a 5ton with a winch look for a M925, M925A1 or M925A2 , a google search for "M939 military truck" will bring up the wiki and explain the differences. Your listing 2 states in your location so the best thing to do there is contact your dmv and research your states requirements for your intended uses (another touchy subject here) . Commercial plates will let you haul what you want (expensive ) farm plates are cheaper but usually have restrictions , historic plates are the cheapest and have the most restrictions on use ( from what your described uses probably not a option)

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The short wheelbase is the most maneuverable in city driving. That would be the M931 tractor (or it's equal in the older models) or the M929 dump truck. You can find some rebuilt tractors that are really nice condition (I just sold one, the best overall quality I have had) at (relatively) low price. Then remove the fifth wheel and add a bed to it. Also they make great 4x4's.

The dumps go for a premium as they are readily useful. The newer models can get very expensive but some older ones can be found reasonable. The dumps have the best resale value if you are considering "flipping".

Good luck

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Notice how he said 5-ton, not any specific model. M54, M939 or M809 series all fall into "5-ton" and each have good and bad points.

:)

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys. I am wanting to buy a 5 ton. However im not sure which one would be good for me. It needs the bed off course, not the huge long ones. As new of one I can get, while still being easy to repair (repair is not a issue) (I am a mechanic), and I must be able to insure it, title it, and tag it. Any suggestions!? Grazie!
Hi. Thanks for the reply. I have restored farm equipment and things of the sort so heavy equipment is no new task to me. If you need help with certain things in that aspect I might be able to help. Also I am looking into one for pretty regular work. Mostly farm work and disaster clean up one in a while. So it will need to haul a trailer, be able to haul fire wood, winch things out, etc.
Notice how he said 5-ton, not any specific model. M54, M939 or M809 series all fall into "5-ton" and each have good and bad points.

:)
With his description he doesn't want a 2 1/2 ton,he wants a newest model 5 ton that's easy to work on with a winch.
Since the MTV's have lots of electrical problems , problems with cab hydraulics, and driveshaft vibration problems that break engine components and now it seems several members have experienced motor failure from oil lines rubbing , i would say they are out. So that is the reason I suggested a M925 , newest 5 ton with winch , automatic transmission and full air brakes that is fairly easy to work on . But your right SW the M54 or 809 series, with manual transmission, air/over hydraulic single circut brakes and a sprag transfer case may suit his needs . I would say he needs to look at all and compare the good and bad of each .

snowtrac nome

With his description he doesn't want a 2 1/2 ton,he wants a newest model 5 ton that's easy to work on with a winch.
Since the MTV's have lots of electrical problems , problems with cab hydraulics, and driveshaft vibration problems that break engine components and now it seems several members have experienced motor failure from oil lines rubbing , i would say they are out. So that is the reason I suggested a M925 , newest 5 ton with winch , automatic transmission and full air brakes that is fairly easy to work on . But your right SW the M54 or 809 series, with manual transmission, air/over hydraulic single circut brakes and a sprag transfer case may suit his needs . I would say he needs to look at all and compare the good and bad of each .
I wouldn't discount the fmtv family. I have had great service out of mine, if you do your service and inspections as the tm requires all most all the faults can be prevented or found before they cause an emergency. Every truck has its faults the 900 series has alternator and pcb problems the older 800 series has single circuit braking the m 54 series has the gutless multi fuel engine. the biggest kicker for me is all the maintenance one has to put into wheel bearings and seals on the Rockwell axles with at a minimum of repacking bearings once a year if you drive it a lot. I miss the double reduction rockwells but there is nothing wrong with the merritors in the fmtv plus the truck rides better and is more maneuverable. just my opinion

Fix It Again Tony

Thank you to all who replied. I appreciate all your suggestions as I am rather new to military vehicles. With further research the M925 seems very well suited. What are the winches specs? What are they rated for pulling rather?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks