• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton Dump to tractor coversion?

TBigLug

As some of you know I'm looking for a 5 ton tractor. I seem to find dumps more regularly than I do tractors so here's what I'm wondering. If I found a dump with the same wheelbase as a tractor, what would be involved in converting it to a tractor? Also, will a 5 ton tractor be able to haul civilian trailers or are the hitches differant? Also, do the ramps interfere with civilian trailers or are the civ trailers and military trailers the same setup? Thanks for the help in advance. Another quick question, could a deuce be converted to a tractor? I only really plan on hauling my mudders or other lighter than heavy equipment loads.

TBigLug

BTW, the trailer I will haul will likely be a short dropdeck or standard flatbed. Maybe a 25 ft. van trailer if I need to help friends move.

CGarbee

It's a shame that you are so far away... I keep running across really nice five ton tractors but I want a dump... We could trade, but the shipping cost would be killer...

TBigLug

LOL, no doubt. It'd work out better if we both found good priced running driving trucks. Do a driver swap halfway. Send me any links or pics of tractors you find. For the right deal, I might be able to finaggle a tractor/ trailer from the neighbor.

poppop

Wheel base really does not matter. I have two Mack tractors and one has a long wheel base and the other is short. Remove the dump and install a fifth wheel between the rear axles. The five ton hitchs are the same as civilian and you would be better off to find a civiian fifth wheel to use. I assume by ramps you mean the ones on the back of the tractor to help low hitches climb up to the fifth wheel. They will not interfer but you also don't need them. You just have to rearrange electricial and air hook-ups to behind the cab. I am not sure but I think straight air brake trailers hook right up and are activated when you apply the brakes on the truck. A Duece can be converted to a tractor but it will have a longer wheel base. Then you could use that space behind the cab for tool boxes or storage or even a small bed or to mount a knuckle boom crane to load things onto your trailer.

TBigLug

Thanks for the info poppop. How would you work the brakes on the converted deuce? I think (lol newbie) they are air over hydraulic. Would I need to mount a compressor and plumb some lines or would I have to fab up a whole new braking system? Also, I assume the 5 tons are full air brakes so those should hook up fine, am I correct?

poppop

The duece has air hook ups at the rear just like civlian trucks. You would have to relocate them to behind the cab. Then I think it would supply straight air to the trailer when you apply the truck brakes. These gladhands are labeled service and emergency just like civy trucks. Maybe someone else will speak up and tell you for sure.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lloyd is correct. Converting a 5 ton tipper or deuce wouldn't be too dificult. If you're hauling a trailer with air brakes you may want to add a knob on the dash to activate the parking brake of the trailer. Other than that yu need a trolley brake for the column. Boyce has been offfering this kits on Ebay for about 50 bucks. I can haul civilian trailers with my deuce tractor but they get very close to the back of the cab. Here's a rear veiw of my M275A2 and a view of a converted tractor from a deuce done by member Miltrucks. His is the best conversion I've ever seen.

Attachments

TBigLug

Good info guys. What about a Tractor Protection Valve? What about towing capacity? I'm drawing a blank on the trolley brake. What is it and what does it do? So these trucks were designed to have air brake equipped trailers? What wheelbase truck should I look for? I want to try and stay away from clearance problems with civvy trailers since that's probably what I'll be pulling most. Bob the back of the frame? Ramps, no ramps? Civilian 5th wheel like poppop or military 5 ton fifth wheel? I'll probably have to rob one of the neighbor farms old parts semis. Thanks for all the help and ideas so far.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Either 5th wheel will work. I like the military ones but its a toss up. The trolley is the lever on the steering column that lets you apply trailer brakes only. I use mine alot to scrub off a few MPH here and there. You should add a protection valve. My deuce tractor has one but likes to fail frequently. Been on about 3 years and isn't working again. Need to have a looksee at it. You would need to bob the back of the frame. My preference is appraoch ramps but they aren't necessary. I've moved 30,000# with my deuce before. Westfolk has a converted deuce and he's moved in excess of 65,000# IIRC. I prefer the deuce myself but thats just me. Heck, I even have a deuce wrecker. Westfolk will probably pipe up here soon.

TBigLug

I welcome all comments. Another thing I thought about was mounting a sliding fifth wheel to accomodate differant trailers and weights. What do y'all think?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A slider would work but not too well on a deuce. There isn't enough wheelbase to be able to slide much and slding it behind the centerline of the tandem isn't a good practice.

jh1990

if you use a civvy 5th wheel then the chances are you'll have a slider. i've been thinking of planing a conversion of a 5 ton cagro to a tractor but i dont have the money, time, or space. if it was me i'd got for a longer wb than standard for the reason Kenny stated...clearence, but thats just me want do i know im just 16. best wishes with what ever your final decision is TB.

citizensoldier

Remember a deuce does not have power steering. A 5 ton does. You can put a air driven power steering unit on a deuce but I have heard more bad than good about them. Dont know for sure never driven one and dont know anyone that has put the kit on there truck. So backing up trailers without power steering can be hard on the arms.

pa.rich

About the chassis length, the tractor and the dump looks the same length. Its going to be some work putting a fifth wheel and all the lines for the trailer on though. If you want to come as far as Pa., "Kublo's" has a bunch of wrecked tractors sitting at his military vehicle and equipment place. And while your down here bring the dump truckor parts with you! I am working on putting together a dumper 5 ton truck.I still need a pump that is original and the driveshaft. If you see one available let me know. In other words, HHEEELLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!

pa.rich

Serious , I am willing to bring you the fifthwheel parts to Michigan, (my mother lives in Grand Rapids area,) if you could find me the parts I mentioned. Would love to find a decent dump body before I get too much time invested in the one I have, rusted.

rizzo

Re: RE: 5 ton Dump to tractor coversion?

CGarbee said:
It's a shame that you are so far away... I keep running across really nice five ton tractors but I want a dump... We could trade, but the shipping cost would be killer...
to take one down and bring one back would be about $1.50/mile