• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton Multi power steering

I think I remember reading "it's too big" and "it can't be done". What about the type of power steering that sits on top of the frame, behind the axle, with only the drag link and bell crank on the outside of the frame? I didn't have a camera to take pictures of it. looks like an early 5 ton with a multi motor. Any body try to use this type of power steering on a M35 bobber ?

Thanks,
Greg

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
it is really big , but why don't you get one and try it to see if it will fit? personally i think there are easier ways to do it.

tom

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Tom has a nice kit for power steering. Pretty straight forward and a great price for what you get.

it is really big , but why don't you get one and try it to see if it will fit? personally i think there are easier ways to do it.

tom
I do have one and I am going to try it. I was fishing for anyone that may have tried it and run into an issue. I haven't had the trucks side by side yet but if it will bolt to the M35 frame in the same manner it's bolted to the 5 ton, it looks like a piece of cake...and that's a big IF

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i 'think' for an early 5 ton i.e. a m-52 etc, you would have to have a drag like going up front and a relay arm with another drag link going back to the axle. the actual pitman shaft looks like it would be almost on top of the axle assy. for 53's you just need custom wheels with enough offset, then no problem.

tom

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Frame attachment for the 5-ton is taller than the 2-1/2 ton frame, will take some mods there and you will need the forward bell crank. Otherwise, that will be a LOT of steering gear for a deuce...

Frame attachment for the 5-ton is taller than the 2-1/2 ton frame, will take some mods there and you will need the forward bell crank. Otherwise, that will be a LOT of steering gear for a deuce...
I managed to get the whole enchilada, bell crank, drag links, tie rods, box, pump, lines, steering wheel, frame, front axle, everything. A LOT of steering gear is what I need for these big a** 53's.

I guess I'm wondering why it hasn't been done already.

Heath_h49008

How common, and how expensive are those boxes?

The system put together by Gringletaube seems to be the best option for achieving the goals you describe for those not fortunate enough to have found your trove of 5 ton parts. Search for it and have a look.

deathrowdave

You are correct !!!! I was thinking of the second design of steering on a 5 ton . The first design should be able to be adapted . A lot of moving parts to find a home for . But it should work fine.

How common, and how expensive are those boxes?

The system put together by Gringletaube seems to be the best option for achieving the goals you describe for those not fortunate enough to have found your trove of 5 ton parts. Search for it and have a look.
I'm not sure how common or expensive the early 5 ton steering box is, I've never seen one before. I was snooping around for dash parts for my 58 GMC LCF and I noticed the drivers side fender was missing on this old 5 ton . The steering box was staring me in the face. It looked like it might work, I asked how much for the whole steering assembly and he said he wouldn't sell parts off of it but if I would tow the whole truck away, I could have it. So the price is right, IF I can make it work.

Wanted to revive this thread to see if anybody had done this and to what degree of success. Spent several days reading threads and seen lots of the kits offered. But I have a very early m51 gasser that I am parting out and it has the early style high mounted gear box. If it can or has been done I would try it since I already have it and use the money for other things like tires, paint etc.

I have done this on several modified deuces by using the old style steering box assembly and works fine way better than all those kits out there and my new convertion using a new style outside frame steering box just mounted it farther forword on the frame so tires clear not complicated I have a welding/ fabrication shop and this stuff is easy all parts you can get at any surplus yard. I also have a surplus yard. if you have questions feelfree to call 253-961-3434 don't want to type my brains out on here answering questions. my new truck is a deuce that I bobbed andadded a H1 4 door body and 395 tires and I build the MRAP wheel adapters to put these wheels on deuce axles I sell them on ebay anyway hope this helps someone

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am also interested in this and would appreciate seeing pictures of a 5 ton power steering box setup on a deuce.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks