• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5-ton Ram air

HMMWV Nut

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking for information on Ram air for M939 series trucks. Are there any real benefits of such modifications over the standard mushroom cap for a non turbo Cummins. Trying to squeeze more power out of my M925 and I realize that I am probably limited on options. any suggestion would be much appreciated.

FullSpecial

WP_20150301_15_47_53_Pro.jpg
Like this? Modest pump tune, 150ml to 180ml. Cross math comes out to 288hp.
Spools way faster and will even get out of its own way without smoke.

I drove DM Mack with 237 horse power engine .I changed the shutters from auto to manual and could keep the engine at 210 degrees it pulled much better.

tim292stro

I put a scoop on my intake pipe, I didn't notice a measurable difference.
If you put a funnel on a coffee straw, you're not likely to see much of a difference in how the coffee straw flows... [thumbzup]

Keep it under 5"H[SUB]2[/SUB]O restriction at max power output for your intake and exhaust and you will likely see a difference. 2cents

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If a person could come up with a LARGE air scoop that would be able to compress the air feeding into the engine that might work a little, I had an airplane that had a filter bypass on it and I could pull a couple more inches of manifold pressure with that open, bear in mind though that was 180 mph! On a 5 ton truck at 55 mph? Not so much!!!!!
KK

74M35A2

Thread should be in 5T mod section.

I'd either buy a tired Cummins 400 turbo (can be had cheap) and rebuild it, or swap in the later 8.3L turbo and turn that up. With the 8.3L, you will double your fuel efficiency also. In addition, the lighter 8.3L engine will help it accelerate quicker also. If you have a little bit more $, you could swap in a used Detroit Diesel Series 60 or Cummins ISX, both can be had in +500hp versions. If you want faster top speed with the same drivetrain you have now, the 8.3L with performance governor springs and the fuel rack turned up would be nearly the only way to do it, as it is one of the only candidates that can spin higher RPM without putting holes in the block. Goes up to 3400rpm in marine apps.

Besides the duel fuel line and fuel button as mentioned above, your options are kind of slim. A few here have put turbos on them, study those threads, figure cost vs reward, go from there.

Bobfj40

Thank you FullSpecial I was thinking you went from the 6" to 7" because of the adapter. Good to know. Any problems with driving in the rain? Thanks.

Bob

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks