• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton Recover---gone bad

AndyC

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Helped Jakelc15 recover his M818 and trailer from FT Meade on wed. Forklift gremlin strikes again. Bent driveshaft comes apart 1/2 mile from base. Made large hole in oil pan . Only had to go 2 miles to Jake's house. Thanks DavidJBlythe for stopping and offering your help.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
ouch that sucks. Looks like a nice setup though, hate to hear about the break down. I would have been like " fbiudgfgeirfdberfgdbebsfiugiuvpuafhiuhridbiebrsifdbivrfsdbb" yeah and then some. Not to mention the look on my wife's face then I got home.

sandcobra164

If it was noticed that the front shaft was bent, why not remove it? Even had a M1031 Contact Truck that likely had quite a few tools in it somewhere. I hate to see when a plan does not come together.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did the other fork lift? I agree, even for that short distance, removing the D/S would have been my plan. Those oil pans are not cheap or easy to change.

Jakelc15

We had intentions of pulling the drive shaft but I got side tracked and forgot. It was 20° and everything was frozen.

They beat the crap out of that truck with the fork lift between the time the pictures were taken and when I picked it up. They bent the ladder storage brackets on the bottom of the trailer too.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That stinks. Without your own pics of before and after(pickup), I doubt you'll get far with making amends with GL.

I forget things, sometimes.

Too bad it happened that way, think of the savings if you had had it towed the whole 2.5 miles! Even the shortest and simplest trips can go bad.

AndyC

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea, I think the day starting out at 12 deg and all the things we had going on the drive shaft got put on the back burner.

rickf

Be glad the cops didn't call in a hazmat crew because of the oil spill! If that had been NJ you would still be filling out paperwork and paying fines and cleanup costs. REALLY expensive cleanup costs! Couldn't you feel it vibrating? I would think that bent bad enough to break it would have been shaking so bad as not to drive it.

Rick

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kitty litter covers and soaks up most oil-related sins. I always carry a small bag of it in the car in case of a spill on the road related to my own POV, I've never had to use it, but it's there in case of spillage. Might be something to remember for big trucks too. After the kitty litter soaks it up, you can sweep up the mess into a bag or garbage can.

AndyC

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be glad the cops didn't call in a hazmat crew because of the oil spill! If that had been NJ you would still be filling out paperwork and paying fines and cleanup costs. REALLY expensive cleanup costs! Couldn't you feel it vibrating? I would think that bent bad enough to break it would have been shaking so bad as not to drive it.

Rick
MDOT stopped next to use with two trucks and big flashing arrows etc and a few guys came walking with large sacks in there hands. Thought it was a clean up crew. They just stopped for a few min and thew down some cold patch in a hole next to us than left. Didn't even look at us not even when Tiff was peeing on the side of the road.

Jakelc15

That 60 ton wrecker had no problem at all with my 15 ton rig. Military trucks are easy to tow.

I pulled the pan and took it to a welder buddy, I didn't feel comfortable welding it myself. Oil soaked metal is not fun. Still looking for a spare pan and a new drive shaft.

Jakelc15

Andy was a big help. I hope picking up his truck goes better!

I use to work for a tow company that was partnered with Teds towing and they had a truck not far from me so they gave me a good price. Was $ 325, didn't have to pull shafts or hook up air.
I'd recommend Teds to anyone in the Baltimore DC area.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks