• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton Recover---gone bad

ichudov

Helped Jakelc15 recover his M818 and trailer from FT Meade on wed. Forklift gremlin strikes again. Bent driveshaft comes apart 1/2 mile from base. Made large hole in oil pan . Only had to go 2 miles to Jake's house. Thanks DavidJBlythe for stopping and offering your help.
So, do you have an idea what happened? Any guess who (military or GovLiquidation personnel) forklifted this truck and why?

joshs1ofakindxj

I got to see this truck and trailer today when picking up some M35A2 parts. Jake is a great guy and I really look forward to seeing what he does making that trailer into a camper.

kastein

That 60 ton wrecker had no problem at all with my 15 ton rig. Military trucks are easy to tow.

I pulled the pan and took it to a welder buddy, I didn't feel comfortable welding it myself. Oil soaked metal is not fun. Still looking for a spare pan and a new drive shaft.
This is exactly what I was going to suggest. Oil pan is low enough pressure that as long as your weld is structural enough to hold the patch in place and handle road debris, you are fine with it plus a good coating of RTV for good measure.

F18hornetM

I never had much luck putting rtv on the outside of anything and getting it to hold. Should be able to weld it up and hold oil just fine. Good that you can fix it instead of replacing it. Im picking a m813 up from meade on Tuesday. Wish me luck with the fork lift damages.

F18hornetM

How is it they damage them with forklifts?? Ive heard this mentioned before. We push trucks around all the time with forklifts. Do they lift one end and turn sideways or something?

Jakelc15

Make sure you climb under the truck and check for damages. They don't seem to believe in having someone steer while they're pushing a truck. They'd rather pick one end up with the forklift and steer it that way. So lots of vent driveshafts and pinched lines for us to fix.
My truck was driven onto the lot, you would think once it's parked they shouldn't even touch it except to take pics.

F18hornetM

Oh I see, move them around with one guy in a fork lift. Ill look it over good, but going to take out on low boy anyway. To far to drive and not be able to check over, plus no tags. Good luck with repairing yours.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rats on the incident.
Just curious, did the shaft not make noise when you started out?
From your picture the shaft is installed backwards, reverse it when it gets replaced.

dmetalmiki

Just a thought

With so little distance to go, mebb'e pull the truck home with the other smaller truck?...low/first would do that surly? I pulled my wrecker 1/2 mile with my Fork Truck. Its only a 2ltr. Isuzu diesel. ..no gears, automatic.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks