• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

50/50 Diesel Gas Mix as Deuce Fuel?

UPFINN

Wow! it's been many years since I've posted on here! I had some good m35a2 restoration threads going on and I suddenly got too busy to update with the progress. My deuce has been running good for the last decade but has been sitting quite a bit the last few years as 3/4 ton pickups run circles around it for the work I do.

I might be looking at daily driving the deuce again because......a few days ago our local fuel distributor accidently added gasoline to a diesel tank. Now they have 800 gallons of a 50/50 mix of diesel and 87 octane gas they want me to take. It sounds like it MIGHT be ethanol free but not 100% sure. It's currently stored in several 275 gallon IBC totes.

From my research it seems like gas is best to run with WMO but I currently don't have the space or time for a WMO filtering system.

My questions are; would this 50/50 diesel gas mix be safe to run as fuel alone? If lubrication is an issue it seems like I could add a quart of 2 stroke oil per 10-15 gallons of fuel? If there is ethanol in the gas, would it do any damage? Would IBC totes be safe to store this fuel as long as they are shaded from the sun? They are made of HDPE which is the same material fuel cans are molded from.

canadacountry

I was a bit curious and went looking for a short time this slow morning now, theres seemingly a lot of posts about it (and you'll have t find the TM's for yourself if there was some) but feel free to start off with these two;

biscuitwhistler37

Tried to upload a pic from the TMs, site said no. TM 9-2320-361-10 page 1-21 says if engine runs rough while using any alternative fuel, add 10-30 percent diesel fuel until it levels off. I thought I read in there that any gasoline was supposed to be mixed 50/50 with diesel but couldn't find that info again to confirm. If it were me, I'd run it.

Edit- if you're concerned about lubrication and can't run WMO, clean oil will likely burn well when diluted properly

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to the operator manual, straight gas is OK as long as it isn't aviation gas.

Lubrication in the injection pump isn't necessary, as it uses specially hardened parts in order to burn arctic Diesel that is very thin.

I'd run that G/D mix all day in mine. You'll be amazed how quickly it disappears when it is free...

UPFINN

I was a bit curious and went looking for a short time this slow morning now, theres seemingly a lot of posts about it (and you'll have t find the TM's for yourself if there was some) but feel free to start off with these two;

I looked at the mixed fuel graphs and I calculated the specific gravity of all the tanks I got. I got tanks with these diesel percentages: 67%, 22%, 13%, and 5%. Not what I was hoping for. At least it is ethanol free 87 octane which is 125btu per gallon vs diesels 133k.

Seems like there is a lot of confusion over whether or not gasoline ignites before or after diesel. It seems it is assumed to ignite sooner because it's precieved as more "volatile" but with a auto ignition temperature of around 500F vs diesels 410, I think the diesel would ignite first.

Even if I have to add 1.5 gallons of diesel per 1 gallon of gas and add a few quarts of 2 stroke to use the 5% mix, it's still a cost savings.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Divergent thread notification:

A friend of mine pulled over 1,000 gallons of transformer oil from decommisioned TV transmitters.

He runs it straight in his Cummins Dodge. I tried a tankful in my M54A1, never noticed any difference from Diesel.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Divergent thread notification:

A friend of mine pulled over 1,000 gallons of transformer oil from decommisioned TV transmitters.

He runs it straight in his Cummins Dodge. I tried a tankful in my M54A1, never noticed any difference from Diesel.
Just be sure they aren't old transformers...
A lot of them had PCB's in the oil back in the late 70's.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They were built in the late 90's, and killed before their time when the second spectrum reallocation was mandated by the FCC. Essentially it was pure mineral oil, with a viscosity much akin to Diesel.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Polychloranated bi-phenals were banned in the US in '79. Old designators were Pyranol or Askarel, among with others.

Found in a lot of transformers and high voltage capacitors made up to the mid-70's.

Personally, vintage oil caps of the values I use in my home-built ham gear with PCB oils are the best ever made. If any of them show any sign of leaking I will dispose of them properly, tho it has never happened over many years.

deathrowdave

I ran everything flammable in mine , not one issue . Transformer oil was a favorite . I once drank kerosine and pissed in the tank , still runnin . No really , I noticed no difference on any fuel . I always thinned it up a bunch in cold weather with gasoline

Even if I have to add 1.5 gallons of diesel per 1 gallon of gas and add a few quarts of 2 stroke to use the 5% mix, it's still a cost savings
chainsaw bar oil would be cheaper and add more lubrication i would think. Blains farm and fleet Mystic bar oil $9.99 a gallon Vs Walmarts supertech TC-W3 $21.43 a gallon.

canadacountry

hey @G744 if you would like something very un-military different that literally ate through bunker-c oil like as if there was no tomorrow figuratively speaking then just look at this https://brasstrainmodels.com/images/UP_GTELs/UP_GTEL_8500hp-X1.jpg hehe!
(as i recall refineries didn't really know what to do with bunker-c oil so the railroad got it for cheap initially but eventually both the combination of this oil being found 'more useful' raising prices and with regarding to the emission problem of always-high-speed turbines against more modern high-power piston locomotives put a definitive end to these guzzling 8500hp turbines for good)

I'm still waiting for someone to try bunker oil in a multifuel truck.

Prolly a user on an ocean coast, most likely.:p
if I had the rig and the oil I'd try it. I've ran diesels on other stuff in a pinch and it's been fine. just cut the thicker oil with a thinner one till its about the viscosity of diesel has always worked for me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks