• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

50/50 mix of used motor oil & E85 in the Deuce?

bart6453

So I heard you can run a 50/50 mix if E85 and used motor oil.

Should a guy filter the oil first????

Do I have to worry about anything???

It will be exclusively Harley-Davidson motor oil, with a bit of tranny and primary fluids mixed in. Typically the oil is pretty clean when they take it out....usually at the 2,500 mile mark...if this makes a difference. For those not familiar with Harleys....the only thing different is that they do put a bit of gas in the oil over time.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
E85 as in ethanol? Don't know if i'd do that. Ehtanol attacks certain types of rubber. There could be an issue with the seals and o-rings in the feul system...mainly in the pump. that could lead to an external leak or a very bad case of the "Harlyes" by putting fuel in the oil. I've run alot of mixed fuels but I think i'd steer away from ethanol. 2cents

kenny

I have a friend that had a 1986 18 wheeler with 300 hp diesel that put his used motor oil that he took out of his own engine and put it right in his fuel tank but I dont think he would go as far as E85.
I would not put it in mine or motor oil for that matter.

Pinz25086

I run UMO as fuel all of the time with no issues at all. I have seen the e-85 do bad things to rubber so I would stay away.

Wayne

Rattlehead

Even modern gasoline powered cars have to get considerable changes to the fuel system components for E85 capability. I would stay away for this reason alone.

In addition, E85 is a higher octane fuel. High octane = bad for multifuel use. But I don't know what your final octane rating would be when mixing with WMO.

Phantasom

Remember Guys Octane is the ability not to burn Diesel for instance is High octane where as regular unleaded is low octane. End result using low octane fuel such as gas in a diesel or multifuel engine will result in premature ignition of the fuel sending a rod through the block. On the other hand adding oil to gas raises the gasolines octane making it safe to usein the proper ratio 4:1 seem to work well that would be 2 gal of gas to 8 gallon of oil:driver::driver:
:driver:

Billy Bobbed

I use 5 gallons WMO to 20 gallons reg.gas.No problems yet.I strain my WMO thru a paint strainer twice.Ive burned about 35 gallons of WMO so far.Still going strong.It starts at 5 degrees,with no manifold heater or ether.It still has the same fuel filters it came with.:driver:

bassetdeuce

Wouldn't Powerservice Diesel 911 additive do the same thing since it is mostly alcohol? It would emulsify any water, but possibly damage rubber in the fuel system.

coolnick73

In Minnesota we are mandated (forced) to buy at least 10% ethanol in all grades of gas, so you still have to worry about the ethanol's problems. I have read some articles about even E10 doing bad things to small engines and boat motors. I would avoid E85.

stumps

I find that E10 reduces the gas mileage in my cars by something more than 10%. To my strange way of thinking, that means that it is not adding any power to my car.

If your small engine (eg. lawnmower) lets the E10 contact open air, through a vent in the float bowl, or gas tank, the E10, which contains anhydrous ethanol, will suck moisture out of the air, and then the moisture laden ethanol will settle out to the bottom of the float bowl/gas tank. The moisture laden E10 globules won't burn, and will rust metal gas tanks. Since most small engine carburettors draw their fuel from near the bottom of the float bowl, if the globules get to the gasoline port, the engine won't start.

One solution to the problem is to take a page from the biodiesel maker's handbooks, and wash the ethanol out of the gasoline with common water. Pour a cup of plain old tap water into one gallon of E10, and shake. Let it settle for a while, and then carefully pour the pure gasoline, that is floating on the top, into another container.

No more ethanol problems!

-Chuck

To get the same performance from E-85 (or some blends are actually 80-90% depending on season) you need 40% more fuel then with gas. There are alot of Mustang guys switching there Turbo Stangs to Ethanol so that they can run insane boost numbers and not have to buy race fuel. The rule of thumb is you need twice as much injector and pump to get the same HP as with Gasoline. Example: a pump rated for 1000HP is only going to support 500-600hp on E85.

Last edited: