• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

50 A outlets on generator

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are those good for high voltage? The reason I ask is because I've only seen them used on low voltage connections, usually on electric forklifts, jumper cables, winches, and such.

They also don't seem very secure as far as somebody sticking their finger into a unplugged end.
They are rated for high enough voltage but I personally will use them only for DC applications below 50v. They don't offer enough safety for me.

Korgoth1

Are those good for high voltage? The reason I ask is because I've only seen them used on low voltage connections, usually on electric forklifts, jumper cables, winches, and such.

They also don't seem very secure as far as somebody sticking their finger into a unplugged end.
Yes they are fine with 240, they(sb175) came stock on a 30kw pto generator I bought, and that got me on them, because they are so cheap. Just get the amp capacity needed. The red ends should be warning enough not to put fingers in them, but if extra idiot-proofing is needed, they also make rubber plugs that close the ends off. And they make handles that bolt to them so you never have to touch the cable or connector end(what I went with).

On the pto gen I got, a spring loaded plate covers them back up.

Last edited:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rosco, when you say all plugs are on breakers, can you show a pick of that?

DSCN4484.jpgDSCN4480.jpgDSCN4477.jpgDSCN4479.jpgThe various recepticals, each have their own breaker appropriate for the amperage they draw. Their mounted in the boxes behind the plug-ins. The box with the plug-ins was scavenged from the junk pile, with a "fabed" face plate. The hard-wired pigtail, plugs into & energizes the plug-in setup, or can go to an extension cord to power the main transfer switch for the house/shop, etc. It also services a box w/cord which (not shown) has two GFCI 120V duplex recepticales. Each duplex is wired from one leg of the 230V circuit. My MEP002 is hard wired with the same 50 amp plug to service the shop (or do load testing on it), as well a a standard 230V plug, that will feed the GFCI 120V duplex box, as mentioned.

bones1

I mounted an 8x8 inch box above the normal"lug box" and installed a Leviton cs6369 receptacle with a spring loaded cover in it.I made a 50ft 6/4 twist lock 50a cable to connect generator to the inlet box on the outside of the house.From there it finds it's way through a main lug box with a 50 a breaker and then on to a 5449 Generac panel . 4 wire setup with the neutral and grounds carried to the panel.The 5449 has a built in automatic transfer switch and I will be using it manually. I unbonded the neutral at the generator as well.
I had to install the main lug panel so I had a place to transition the #6 wire from the generator to the already installed 100 ft run of 2/2/2/4 alum ser wire that runs to the 5449 house panel.

Last edited:

khestee

Very nice work roscoe. Your set up is exactly what I've been looking for. I have an 803A and a 30 amp gen plug already install on the house with a manual change over switch. I just need a 240 twist lock and maybe a 120 duplex. Problem is I have no clue how to wire up something like you have. Local electricians don't want to touch the mil gens. Any suggestions?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks