• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

515 mile recovery

41cl8m5

Ok here it goes,
I won the auction from GL on a M35a2 wo/w. I was altered at the time of my bid. I never thought I would win. I was watching the action and someone got right to my max bid but no joy, it was mine after waiting about 30 minutes on overtime from GL. What did I get myself into? How do I explain it to my wife? I never went to look at it before my bid. What do I do now? Well this was not my first tango with GL so that went easy enough. Got all the paperwork through the first time and it was rather quick in GL giving me the "Paid in Full Invoice" After scheduling the pick up I had to tell the wife. Her question to me was how did I pay for it? I told her the method that was on file at GL. She asked what method was that? Ok, now I'm in for it I thought. It was her Credit Card. After telling her that, she said when do we pick up her truck?

Ok, that was behind me, now for getting together everything I might need for the recovery. In the auction it was stated "starts and runs" from GL. I was going to try to drive it back, but after looking at the posts on this site, I was more than crapping my pants over this decision. "Starts and Runs" don't mean nothing according to the posts. So, I tried to get every thing I might need. All fluids and other supplies like jumper cables and my Batteries out of the M1009. To say the least, the bed of my wife's ram was full. The kids must go she said. Who was I to argue. It was her truck we were getting. The trip there was no event. The GL rep at the site informed me that there could be a good possibility that it would not start and the batteries might be dead. First thing I did was check all fluids and filters then the belts and tire pressure. All of the tires were low. I turned the master switch on and put it in neutral with the clutch in and pushed the start button. It fired right up, after the low air buzzer went off, I pulled it out of formation to air up the tires and to let it warm up. After that off I went. Going 55mph on today’s highways was something I'm not use to, but that is the max speed a M35a2 should go. I was having a hard time with the fuel gauge as it was all over the place. When a DUECE runs out of fuel it runs out without warning, good thing I had the forethought to bring a fuel can with diesel. I made it most of the way with my daughter buy my side with the wife following me in her ram. The last 20 miles was gut wrenching do the snow storm I rain into that was socking it to Denver on Tuesday night. The last 20 miles took me 1 1/2 hours to do. I had to stop several times to clear the window of snow build up on the highway and streets. Got m0st of the way home and finally got stuck on a side street 2 blocks from my house. A neighbor was kind enough to provide some salt to get me going again. I would like to thank everyone here for all the info I was able digest.

Buy the way this was not my first time driving a deuce. I had one in the army but that was a long time ago.

Attachments

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Nice truck. 515 miles is a good haul in a Deuce. Looks like your deuce has some nice stuff (hardtop, fiberglass seats, etc).

What is the first thing you are going to do to it?

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:beer: those box seats arent that bad when you need a little extra room between the seat and the steering wheel such as myself. Nice recovery.

41cl8m5

Thanks for the responses.
My teeth are ok, but it was awhile before I could sit down again. Sorry for all the miss spelling, I'll try to fix that.

One more tidbit,
My Allstate agent sent me a proof of insurance for the trip. After getting back I looked more closely at the info on the doc and he listed it as a 71 Jeep Gladiator. I'm thinking of calling it "The Gladiator" :mrgreen:

saddamsnightmare

March 29th, 2010.

Congrats to the OP on his acquisition, and cheers that your wife didn't divorce you on the method used to buy it. You now rate the genuine "IRON BUTT DEUCE DRIVER" Award for riding that nasty old box seat for over 500+ miles.... Now use your wife's credit card to get a "Springer" seat from one of the dealers (Parts Dealers...That IS), your tookus will thank you, and blow a little extra to get one for your wife's side of the truck... It'll keep peace in the family. You probably could have gotten unstuck if you were that near to home by deflating the tires to 15 PSI. Oh, you might want to get the air hose, gauge and chuck that fits the airline on the firewall in front of your wife's seat, that way you can reinflate them after getting unstuck. ALSO get a cab heater, you'll like the truck better the other 4 months of the year it isn't summer in Denver.

Good luck and keep us posted....:beer:

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:smile:

gunner01

grats on a smooth recovery. Also grats on the wife she is difinetly a keeper I agree get a springer after driving mine almost a 1000 miles I got one

41cl8m5

When I was serving in the ARMY I had the privilege of operating an M109a2 for my squad and in the passenger seat was my superior, a CW4. Why he picked me and my truck I don't know, never asked. He was a little intimidating to say the least. Now I get to drive for the new (old) boss, the wife. I've been married for 24 years now. Well it’s her truck, she paid for it. Just like in the military I get to do all of the work and others get the credit. Not a bad deal I get to drive a M35a2.

As far as a Springer seat goes I thinking of returning it back to the original color and lack of a pattern. The seat it has is the original set up and like some others I also need the room between the steering wheel and the gut. Under the tan I can make out a star on the door and on the hood is the reg. number. I'm patently waiting for Carnac to get back with me on the year of manufacture. My thought right now is 1967 or 1968 I'm leaning to 1968.

I do have a 25 foot hose with a glad hand on one end and a quick disconnect on the other. Also have a military issue tire inflator with gauge. I used it to air up the tires. Never thought to remove air to get going again.

The front rack is fiberglass but both sides are wood, the roof is a little caved in, I'm thinking from someone sitting on it as a look out. It looks to me with the pant chipping; it was done after the tan was put on. On the passenger door it says "carc 1991" on the driver door is a rebuild tag with a 1990 date. It does have a heater and it works somewhat but the defrost was almost nonexistent. My daughter had to cover her side with a blanket so my window would get just a little heat but not enough to keep the window clear of snow. I already got the upgrade window wiper kit from Saturn Surplus.
Yes, I do have I great wife and I think I told her when she was in one of her good moods. Now, after being married as long as I have to the same person, good moods can be somewhat rare.
I am a member of the Military Vehicle Collectors of Colorado and at the next meeting I’ll ask for input on “the look”
I got to go, must get to that “honey do list” before she gets in. At least I can look at it as I’m working it off. Life is good.

41cl8m5

Just found out from carnac it is a 1968, the unit that had it was the 35th infintry division band. That explains the low milage. A Band Truck!?!?!rofl

mistaken1

Congratulations, nice truck. I have taken the family on the last couple of recoveries, it makes it more fun.

What kind of antenna is on your M1009?

steelandcanvas

Just found out from carnac it is a 1968, the unit that had it was the 35th infintry division band. That explains the low milage. A Band Truck!?!?!rofl
Someone has to haul the Bands around. I did it at Fort Huachuca back in '77-'79. I had a nice air-conditioned IH 40 pax bus though, OD Green, tinted windows, turbo diesel. It would 70-75 mph all day long, nice bus, I kinda miss it sometimes.:driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks