• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5ton Bumper Fun and New Project

TedG

I received my M813A1 a little while ago from a fellow SS member and it was on "deck" for bringing it up to operation while I was finishing my hmmwv project. I have now started to turn wrenches on this truck and I started with the big banged up bumper. I have tried to find a replacement bumper and failed. So I had the twisted, bent and dented bumper placed into a 30 ton press along with some torch work and with a little magic, I believe it turned out well. I also fixed the driver's fender that was dented during the bending of the bumper in it previous life!

Enjoy the pictures!

Attachments

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many of ours had a chain thrown around the middle section, then yanked on, bending the middle of the bumper. Some also got hits on the ends like yours. Seems they do not know what tow shackles are for!!
Regards Marti

TedG

This poor truck was molested heavily by a gl fork truck. Winch roller broken, left front boot and retainer destroyed, bed frame hit, rear air ports eliminated, and then the cargo and top were damaged from motor freight wind! I have already replaced both doors, cleaned up the winch with new seal and gaskets, and next is the wood racks. Hopefully I can get this done soon for a visit to the paint booth!

TedG

HI Jay,

Yep, they got that too! The bottom lip was not a lip anymore and a nice hit in the middle and both rubber bumpers missing. It is an operating tailgate so I will just put the lip back in it and clean up some of the dents. Also, both tail lights were gone (destroyed not removed).

Can you image some fork truck guy thinking he can push a 5 ton sideways just above the rear duallys! OR lift the entire front end by the winch roller! This truck was in great shape until mr fork truck found it!!!

Attachments

Verkstad

[quote Seems they do not know what tow shackles are for!!
Regards Marti[/quote]

Thats too common in the towing recovery business, They like to wrap chains over anything and screw up wiring, hydraulics etc. rather than connect to the shackles & hooks made for the purpose.
Then again Maybe its a liability safety thing because they have no good way to know if a towing shackle is attached properly.

TedG

Well I thought I would post up a fresh picture of the M813A1 after being sandblasted, primered and painted CARC383 one part. Next is tires and dressings!

5.5 gallons of paint for the entire truck inside and out!

Attachments

Last edited:

frodobaggins

Well I thought I would post up a fresh picture of the M813A1 after being sandblasted, primered and painted CARC383 one part. Next is tires and dressings!

5.5 gallons of paint for the entire truck inside and out!

Looks good man, next time post some more in progress pics, we'd love to see your work.

TedG

The shoes will be 48" Michelin XL's on HEMTT rims.

Progress pictures are lacking on this project, my bad.

TedG

Thanks Paul and others for the comps.

Here are some pictures of the reinforcement plate prior to pop riveting in and the setting of the M66 turret. My bobcat was able to reach the top with 1" to spare. Strapping required! Also prior to primering, I remembered to take a picture post sandblasting. Sorry for the blur.

Attachments

Armada

Ted, is that reinforcement plate one that you fabbed? Nice work if you did! Here is a pic of one in a deuce that was at Camp Grayling. How important are the plates when adding the gun mount? Since the gun mounts are mainly for display, is it necessary to have the reinforcement plate?

Attachments

TedG

Paul,
The plate is an NOS unit, the other goodies are used take-offs. I strongly suggest that the plate be installed if the M66 is to be used. After I installed the plate and then set the turret, I notice that I had to readjust the doors a little!

Rivets: steel, 3/16" x .5" or so. I used around 90-100 of them!

Who sells the back rest cushion? I need two (one for this truck and one for the other).

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks