• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5ton Bumper Fun and New Project

TedG

I just got the truck home and she drove really nice! Now that she is home, I will fix the electricals and start mounting the hemtt rims and 48's under her. I wish I had her done for the Clare swap meet, so perhaps I can take her to a classic car show! lol

I have a 5ton winch pto shaft for a multifuel and am willing to trade it for a 5ton cummins one. The cummins one is longer. Anyone got one to trade?

Attachments

Armada

If you can't find anyone to swap shafts Ted, talk to George at White Owl. They have NOS 800 series shafts that include the ujoints and connections for around $125.
Your truck looks great.

TedG

Hi Paul, Thanks. I called George and he said $325 ish for new and $225 ish for used. Perhaps you should order me one! lol. He will call me tomorrow with my list of requests. Thanks.

Armada

OMG! :shock: Serious?!?!? I KNOW I didn't pay over $150 with the shipping for a new one. It was last year. Maybe he quoted me the wrong price? I can't believe they would more than double in a years time. Guess I'm glad I got it when I did.

TedG

I got a pto winch shaft. Now, Armada was over yesterday and I showed him my new 48 XL's on the front (no time to do rears yet, so I can't drive it) and I also showed him my vinyl cab cover. The turret legs interfere with the cab cover and I was wondering what others have done. Armada placed a spacer between his convoy light poles and cab which works great but I am concerned that the M66 weight might be a problem when spacers are installed. The spacers offset the legs towards the aft about 1/4" so that the there is room for the cover but then the legs are not nested into the cab mating guides. Any ideas besides cutting the cover? Pictures next week unless Armada post one.

Last edited:

Armada

I think you're right Ted, the ring set-up would be too heavy for the spacers I made. I'll post the pics anyway since they seem to work fine for light poles. I think the legs need to be supported the full contact surface of the cab to maintain stability. They would need to be off-set from the cab with a 'spacer' that runs almost full length vertically and maybe cradles the leg. A couple extra U-bolts wouldn't hurt either.

Attachments

jwaller

spacers are installed. The spacers offset the legs towards the aft about 1/4" so that the there is room for the cover but then the legs are not nested into the cab mating guides. Any ideas besides cutting the cover?
both rings on both my trucks interfere with my soft tops. I just figured it was part of the territory with the ring. I was going to try and cut a small section away so it sits better. I too doubt that I want to space the ring legs any.

If you watch the ring while going down the road it will make you very very nervous and both my trucks have all the additional cab reinforcements.

TedG

Electricals are fixed! Please mv enthusiasts, look at the manual prior to touching the wires behind dash! New shoes, 1400x20 XL (48") mounted on HEMTT rims and all oils/filters changed. Next up is the fuel system cleansing. Then she will be ready for my jaunt next weekend. This has been a fun project! The last thing it really needs is a tensioner for the level wind winch. Anyone got a spare?

Enjoy the pictures!

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good work - beats my solution to a bent bumper, I paid $100 for a new one. Now I have the old bent up one laying around doing nothing, but hey, I don't weld.

cruzinz28

Truck looks great!! Wouldn't happen to have a spare M60 ring laying around to go with the set of poles aquired this year would you? Ring mount with the big tires look perfect on that truck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks