• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5Ton Combat rims on 395 MVTs install for Beginners!

Steve92307

First off, I want to say Thank you to WES for all the help. I know putting these wheels together are not rocket science but advice with tire selection and a couple things to aid the process makes like easier! So I got all 7 of my tires finally mounted on the Rims the other day, just waiting on my new lug nuts to come in now. I looked around on youtube and couldn't really find a good video explaining and showing the process from start to finish. So for everyone that's new like me Here ya go!!!

MAdams

How do you like it compared to those other big tires you had? Interesting to see how they will work without beadlocks

Steve92307

How do you like it compared to those other big tires you had? Interesting to see how they will work without beadlocks
I took it out today and the ride quality is def much better. Also you can tell the engine is not straining. Overall I would say it was a great idea!

Steve92307

That's awesome. We're planning a trip to Barstow in March or April. You should come
I'm down to go!! Just gotta let me know the date in advance. Who's we?? Greg was telling me today that there is a meetup and everyone camps out in the spring and fall.

Valor

I'm down to go!! Just gotta let me know the date in advance. Who's we?? Greg was telling me today that there is a meetup and everyone camps out in the spring and fall.
There will be a posting of the event when it gets close so you can find out all the info. It's a lot of fun. You can check out the past events and the pics but I don't remember the posting name. I'll see if I can find it and let you know. Glad you went for a ride around the block and it ran, rode good!

charlesmann

Thanks for the vid. When i broke down my 14R20s, i guess the bead stuck up far enough, the bead ring pressed down enough on the tire bead, they aired up no problem. I did just win some mv/t 395s on what looks like lmtv rims. probably gonna have to break them down and fit them on my 5 ton rims.

are these lmtv rims?
1611165849865.jpeg

Steve92307

No problem. I'm not sure which rims those are. Simp5782 would know, shoot him a PM. I would just tag him on the post but idk how...lol

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the vid. When i broke down my 14R20s, i guess the bead stuck up far enough, the bead ring pressed down enough on the tire bead, they aired up no problem. I did just win some mv/t 395s on what looks like lmtv rims. probably gonna have to break them down and fit them on my 5 ton rims.

are these lmtv rims?
View attachment 823916
Yes.

Steve is also using large bore valve stems. Alot easier to air if you bust a bead even off the truck air

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter

are these lmtv rims?
View attachment 823916
Yes they are LMTV FMTV rims and they will bolt to the older trucks.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Make sure they are dual tapered though. Some LMTV wheels are only tapered on one side.

charlesmann

I wont be using the lmtv rims anyways. Color doesnt match my truck and iv got spare rims sitting around.
ill be posting them for sale or torch them for scrap once i get the tires on other rims.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
not sure what dual tapered is referencing. can you elaborate?
M809A1, M939,HEMTT wheels are tapered on both sides of the wheel for using budd style lug nuts with the wheel facing out or flipped inside

Some 1st generation LMTV/caiman wheels in steel and aluminum were tapered on both sides the same way. Specifically the titan brand of steel wheels.

Some of the newer accuride and Hutchinson wheels are only tapered on the face side of the wheel, not on the inside so you can't flip the wheel around for use.

charlesmann

M809A1, M939,HEMTT wheels are tapered on both sides of the wheel for using budd style lug nuts with the wheel facing out or flipped inside

Some 1st generation LMTV/caiman wheels in steel and aluminum were tapered on both sides the same way. Specifically the titan brand of steel wheels.

Some of the newer accuride and Hutchinson wheels are only tapered on the face side of the wheel, not on the inside so you can't flip the wheel around for use.
Ahhhh, gotcha. Well, thank you sir. Iv got 13 5 ton rims, so hanging onto them if they aren't dual beveled would be moot.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks