• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.0 ford engine as a possible swap?

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really I have a 6.0 and I wanna figure out how to put a multifuel in my P/U. My deuce doesnt break down but my ford sure does.

Goose2448

There is a reason we stay away from the 6.0 and newer powerjokes at work. The '00 F550 I have has enough problems, most not engine related. Of the 10 months I have had it, I have put 30K miles on it. Parts list is near $6K and includes a turbo, p/s pump, transmission, clutch kit, shiffter, radiator, steer tires(which are going bad already at 10K, because they cup really bad). I love the truck and the engine, but there is just a never ending list of stuff going wrong with it. My injectors or the high pressure oil pump are on their way out, 215K miles. Another one of the powerjokes, '01, has 6 bad injectors. That truck has 300K+ miles on it, the odometer does not work. And the third powerjoke we have '00 runs good, but just had all its injectors replaced and it has north of 400K miles on it. I know the 7.3 and the 6.0 are different, but the 6.0 has more problems. Our Scoutmaster from up north has a 04 F250 6.0, and every time he hooks up to the scout trailer, 4K pounds, something breaks on the truck. First it was the turbo clamps, then it overheated, alternator, and last I heard, the coolant tank cracked.

If I were you and wanted to play with electric controlled engines in a Deuce, I would look at the LLY Duramax. I have one of those in my 06 Chevy 3500 work truck that I gross 35K pounds with, and I can't even tell its back there. All that and I still see 16 mpgs. My F550 grosses 13K by itself and I struggle to get up to speed and see only 11 mpgs. If I haul a 10K pound trailer, I am lucky to get 8 mpgs and ever see the north side of 60 MPH within 2 miles of getting on the interstate.

shannondeese

Go for it. It's your truck. I have a 92 F350 with a Cummins in it, there wasn't anything wrong with the 7.3 I pulled but I wanted a Cummins. I have an 03 F250 with the 6.0 in it. It's got 08 heads with factory head bolts with the adapter bushings to make them fit the 03 block, a rebuilt 03 turbo, EGR delete, and a 4 inch down pipe with a 5 inch exhaust. I've got 124,000 miles on the truck and did have the typical EGR crack and leak causing the head gasket to blow. I replaced the heads because the newer heads are better than the 03 heads. The turbo because I had it off so why not. I am not running a programmer so I didn't feel the need to put in head studs. I would love for my Deuce to pull like my Fords. So my 2cents are to go for it. Good Luck.

I can totally understand being able to do whatever you want to do with your own stuff, but for the life of me, I can't understand why someone would throw away a major advantage to the deuce, being that it's Multifuel capable for a less-powerful engine. Sacrificing torque for higher RPM speed is fine for a passenger car, but for a 13,030-pound (wo/w) to 13,530-pound (w/w) truck that was built to go anywhere slowly is rediculous to me. To take these trucks over 60+ MPH is dangerous and foolish due to the single circuit brakes, and can result in killing yourself, someone else, or at the verry least destroy your truck. That being said, an engine that didn't come stock in the truck certainly will hurt the resale value if you ever have to sell it.
:patracy:

walkerhunter

Oh I see a good idea lets take a simple truck and add a bunch of Crap to it. 6.0 is JUnk everyone knows this we are getting rich of them and their owners. My family owns a diesel shop and we never have to look for work always a 6.0 tore up, if you think you can fix the motor thats cool but I would still say WHY? All mechanical truck and you want to add computers and wires and fuses WHY? Say $500 for engine $500 for trans $5000 for upgrades and i think that is cheap and another $2000 for computer stuff cause I think you will need a liar box to control the engine in this setup. Then add a bunch of work now find you a 8.3 cummins $4000 and trans bout a 10 speed $2000 now you would have a bad arse very reliable stout truck. for less $

walkerhunter

Did I mention a Duramax is also a bad boy of a motor ive had 16k behind my 05 2500 and had plenty of motor, but there again Why put a computer engine in a mechanical truck?

F18hornetM

I'm not sure so much sissies, just that most of us don't like to add more headaches to life. Most of the wisdom that was dispensed above comes from guys who work on trucks, including the 6.0 daily. Also you better have access to an IDS and Ford installer support or some other Ford tech site.
BUT, having said that I still agree if thats what you want to do, have at it. Post pics and let us know how it goes. :popcorn:

Emmett

I wouldn't put a 6.0 in my wheel barrow much less a Deuce! An early DT466 would be a nice trade......Naw, I will keep the multifuel.

jake1086

Go for it. It's your truck. I have a 92 F350 with a Cummins in it, there wasn't anything wrong with the 7.3 I pulled but I wanted a Cummins. I have an 03 F250 with the 6.0 in it. It's got 08 heads with factory head bolts with the adapter bushings to make them fit the 03 block, a rebuilt 03 turbo, EGR delete, and a 4 inch down pipe with a 5 inch exhaust. I've got 124,000 miles on the truck and did have the typical EGR crack and leak causing the head gasket to blow. I replaced the heads because the newer heads are better than the 03 heads. The turbo because I had it off so why not. I am not running a programmer so I didn't feel the need to put in head studs. I would love for my Deuce to pull like my Fords. So my 2cents are to go for it. Good Luck.
It sounds like you have a nice truck, I didnt know you could run the 6.4 heads on the 6.0, I knew you could switch the 6.0 manifolds to the 6.4 tho

I'll be quoting comments I think need an answer. Sorry I dont know how to multi quote a few posts are coming.

jake1086

I can totally understand being able to do whatever you want to do with your own stuff, but for the life of me, I can't understand why someone would throw away a major advantage to the deuce, being that it's Multifuel capable for a less-powerful engine. Sacrificing torque for higher RPM speed is fine for a passenger car, but for a 13,030-pound (wo/w) to 13,530-pound (w/w) truck that was built to go anywhere slowly is rediculous to me. To take these trucks over 60+ MPH is dangerous and foolish due to the single circuit brakes, and can result in killing yourself, someone else, or at the verry least destroy your truck. That being said, an engine that didn't come stock in the truck certainly will hurt the resale value if you ever have to sell it.
:patracy:
I dont think I'd be sacrificing any torque...... with this (or any engine swap) I'd still be keeping the T-case so still have super low gears if I wanted them.

And in reference to your dangerous speed thing... single circuit brakes at 55 arent all that safe either... should we all just stop driving our deuces? I think someday I will be doing the F550 brake conversion as well. Resale I bought my deuce for 2800 dollars. Putting any money into it is a bad investment, I'm here to have fun. Any money I put into (if for something useful) will be to increase it's useability, not it's resale.

jake1086

Oh I see a good idea lets take a simple truck and add a bunch of Crap to it. 6.0 is JUnk everyone knows this we are getting rich of them and their owners. My family owns a diesel shop and we never have to look for work always a 6.0 tore up, if you think you can fix the motor thats cool but I would still say WHY? All mechanical truck and you want to add computers and wires and fuses WHY? Say $500 for engine $500 for trans $5000 for upgrades and i think that is cheap and another $2000 for computer stuff cause I think you will need a liar box to control the engine in this setup. Then add a bunch of work now find you a 8.3 cummins $4000 and trans bout a 10 speed $2000 now you would have a bad arse very reliable stout truck. for less $
You sir have just stated EXACTLY what the other side of my head has been saying since I found the 6.0. DONT DOOO ITT!!!!!!!!! DT466 or 8.3 !!!!!!!

So what I'm saying is I hear you loud and clear and I am leaning your way (8.3), so everyone can calm down or delete this thread whatever they would like to do.

jake1086

I'm not sure so much sissies, just that most of us don't like to add more headaches to life. Most of the wisdom that was dispensed above comes from guys who work on trucks, including the 6.0 daily. Also you better have access to an IDS and Ford installer support or some other Ford tech site.
BUT, having said that I still agree if thats what you want to do, have at it. Post pics and let us know how it goes. :popcorn:
I did consult my friend who is a ford tech, He said I had his support. But he doesnt know anything about our trucks so that's why I thought I'd come here. But really a mechanical engine would be better. It's silly to throw computers into a truck like this.

PsycoBob

And in reference to your dangerous speed thing... single circuit brakes at 55 arent all that safe either... should we all just stop driving our deuces?
To be honest, if someone sold a dual-circuit master/airpack bracket kit (sans second master/airpacks) for $250, I'd be all over that. I'd go so far as to call it a must-have upgrade, but I've never even seen such brackets except from a A3 part-out. :driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks