• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 engine question

SteelNinja

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a dumb question- what is the knocking noise in the 6.2 diesels ? It sounds like a rod or broken flywheel... Yet Ive heard a lot of these engines have a knocking noise . Mine only has 26K miles ..

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of the time, it is the "squeeze and bang" that makes noise in a diesel. They are fired by compression and not spark. Listen to a Cummins ISB with the VP44 pump

LT67

I have a dumb question- what is the knocking noise in the 6.2 diesels ? It sounds like a rod or broken flywheel... Yet Ive heard a lot of these engines have a knocking noise . Mine only has 26K miles ..
If an old school indirect injection non turbo diesel is quiet while running, then something is wrong😂

Seriously, a video of the noise you are referring to would help.

SteelNinja

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I appreciate all the help, Im not tech savvy - so I don't know how to record and paste it to the site( here) ..
I hope all it ok with it , Im made a bank note - Id be up the creek if it has a bad issue....

Keith_J

Cold weather will make more noise when the engine is cold. Air is denser and injection timing is advanced. Check for proper warm up that there is no voltage on the green wires to the injection pump. This also actuated high idle speed.
Idle noise is the greatest since injection is very short so it burns quickly. More throttle means longer burn time and less noise .

SteelNinja

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found this video on youtube ( mine sounds louder) but.....
at the 2:30- 2:45 min. part .. Its like a clacking/ slapping sound

LT67

I found this video on youtube ( mine sounds louder) but.....
at the 2:30- 2:45 min. part .. Its like a clacking/ slapping sound

That's the normal diesel rattle in cold weather. My 85 M1008 sounds just like it

Btw, the ratting sound of a 6.2 diesel on a cold start is a thing of beauty... it's music to my ears.

Last edited:

2INSANE

Sounds great to me! Any slapping noise could be your V belt being loose and slapping on your upper radiator hose shield. Open hood and check for play in the belts.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with the posts above. But, check your harmonic balancer. Just to be sure...

I don't want to scare you, but my friend recently bought a M1008 and after a couple of weeks it started making a rattling/ticking noise. From certain angles it was really loud. We finally found the damper and waterpump where the cause. The waterpump was fairly recently replaced by the previous owner, but it didn't have an indent on it on the bottom, right above the damper like most have. Must've been some cheap chinese cast. The balancer must have gotten out of round and was hitting that part of the waterpump.

IMG_20201209_123407.jpg IMG_20201209_123429.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks