• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 in a jeep

jamesonsdad

Hello all I'm looking to put a 6.2 in my wrangler in place of the 350 in her now, anyway I have access to a good motor out of a cucv and it will bolt right up to the 700 r4 tranny,my question is can I run it 12 volt and what needs to be done to do so? I know I'll need 12v glow plugs but will I need to change the flywheel on will my 12v high torque starter work ? Any feedback is appreciated

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The glow plugs are already 12 volts.

You'll need a flex plate for the R4 tranny and as long as your starter bolts up and teeth match you're golden.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
flywheel.

In an automatic tranny it's called a flexplate, the torque converter bolts to it. The one for the stock CUCV tranny and the one that fits an R4 have a different bolt pattern. An actual flywheel is much more sturdy and heavier.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think so, I doubt it would bolt to the engine. Just go to your local NAPA, Autozone, CarQuest or order it from Rock-auto. Just need a flexplate for an '84 Chevy K5 Blazer with a 6.2 diesel.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'll also want a new torque converter, the one form the 350 will have too high or a stall speed. You'll want a 1600 stall converter. And you'll need to governor in the tranny changed out with a diesel governor.

jamesonsdad

Guess I could pull the whole drive train out of the cucv (wrecked) and swap or out sounds easier lol,the jeep is alltready set up for gm driveline thanks for the advice

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, flexplate for an 84 K5 diesel Blazer with 700R4.

If you used the stock CUCV drive train you would not have any overdrive, the turbo 400 doesn't have OD.

jamesonsdad

Yeah I know but sounds like less work I guess,but your advice is great I'll way the pros and con's of the swap I'll post pics when she's done thank you again

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will also need the Throttle Valve (TV) cable and bracket for the diesel/r4 setup.

MarcusOReallyus

Some folks put a Mercedes diesel in them. I'm not sure which one, but it's the same weight as the 4.0, and fits really well from what I've read.

But matching it up to a 700R4 would be... really interesting! :D

jamesonsdad

I've allredy got three volunteers and my buddy's shop to work in gonna be a spring,early summer project but I will post pics of the work when the time comes I even have a line on some Humvee tires:smile:

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't wait to see the pics and hear about the progress. You won't have an excess of power with the 6.2 but a diesel jeep does sound like fun.

paladin1176

Can't wait to see the pics and hear about the progress. You won't have an excess of power with the 6.2 but a diesel jeep does sound like fun.
Considering how gutless any jeep is that doesn't have the 4.0...the 6.2 is going to feel like a road warrior in comparison. My buddy has an 88jeep and we were considering dropping in a 4bt cummins when he blows his now third motor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks