• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 with turbo build in progress

Tanner

I recall that the 'hard=parts' - manifolds, turbo, etc... can be from any year 6.5 turbo...

My family is from your neck of the woods -

'Tanner'

Gunfreak25

I missed it, what tranny are you using? Rear end ratio? Vehicle weight and MPG? I'd make that puppy a daily driver any day of the week.

bubba_got_you

I missed it, what tranny are you using? Rear end ratio? Vehicle weight and MPG? I'd make that puppy a daily driver any day of the week.
Sorry it took me so long to reply. The trans is a 700r4 rear end is 3.79 the truck is saposed to be around 8000 lbs but I've never checked and I have it loaded all the time. Mpg really depends on how I drive it, If I drive it like I should I get around 19-20 and towing a 5000lb boat 200 miles at 60mph I was getting 10-12.

Gunfreak25

Very cool man, glad to hear everything is working out so well. What did you do to the trans, is it stock and is it a post 1989 model?

The 700r4 I put in my M211 is a 92 K case and is completely stock. 13,000lbs empty but it has 6.33 axles (counting the 16% permanant tcase underdrive). So it should make for some really easy work on things.

FWIW Tom at Alfa Heaven has repowered several M211's and M135's with 6.2/700r4 combo's and it is by far his favorite "wrong engine swap". I think he beefed up his 3-4 clutch packs but he routinely used the trucks for many years hauling 2000 gallon water loads at 70mph in overdrive. He always told me the trick to towing in OD is to back off the throttle when your temps start to climb. The 700 is a great transmission, they can be built really well today too.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very cool man, glad to hear everything is working out so well. What did you do to the trans, is it stock and is it a post 1989 model?

The 700r4 I put in my M211 is a 92 K case and is completely stock. 13,000lbs empty but it has 6.33 axles (counting the 16% permanant tcase underdrive). So it should make for some really easy work on things.

FWIW Tom at Alfa Heaven has repowered several M211's and M135's with 6.2/700r4 combo's and it is by far his favorite "wrong engine swap". I think he beefed up his 3-4 clutch packs but he routinely used the trucks for many years hauling 2000 gallon water loads at 70mph in overdrive. He always told me the trick to towing in OD is to back off the throttle when your temps start to climb. The 700 is a great transmission, they can be built really well today too.

Holy cow, did you just type what I'm reading? The 700 is a great transmission? Yikes, so there are 2 of us on SS that think its great. My opinion is that the 700R4 is far and away the best transmission for the 6.2. A match made in heaven. I thought I was the only one who hailed from that island.

Gunfreak25

:funny: Yes the 700 is an awesome transmission and mates really well with the 6.2. I believe operator error is the #1 cause of failure for both units. I hope to repower an M35 someday with a hopped up 6.5 GEP motor and Raptor 700r4 with a Np241 for the awesome low range. Plus retain the stock transfer by moving it back like I did with the M211. I would leave the truck 6x6 too and not go with the usual bob job.

That sir, would be one killer M35.

Everyone knows you can't have the best of both worlds without spending bookoo dollars. I got tired of hearing this and realized the 700r4/Np241 combo in a deuce would indeed give you the best of both worlds of speed and low gearing for off road work. And for bottom dollar too.

bubba_got_you

It's an all stock 700 from 1985 van. I love the 700 it has a good start and a great finish when it comes to gearing and is easy to build. I have a 2nd 700 that I plan to build for whenever this trans goes out. It does after all have 200k miles on it. I tow with it in od all the time. I don't go over 60 when towing in this truck for 2 reasons 1st is to keep temps low 2nd is this truck is not designed with towing in mind and I think it is safer to be 20min later than dead on the side of the road. Not that the truck can't tow at 70 but I just won't do it. :beer:

chevyCUCV

:funny: Yes the 700 is an awesome transmission and mates really well with the 6.2. I believe operator error is the #1 cause of failure for both units. I hope to repower an M35 someday with a hopped up 6.5 GEP motor and Raptor 700r4 with a Np241 for the awesome low range. Plus retain the stock transfer by moving it back like I did with the M211. I would leave the truck 6x6 too and not go with the usual bob job.

That sir, would be one killer M35.

Everyone knows you can't have the best of both worlds without spending bookoo dollars. I got tired of hearing this and realized the 700r4/Np241 combo in a deuce would indeed give you the best of both worlds of speed and low gearing for off road work. And for bottom dollar too.
I've been thinking about a 6.2 m35 recently too. Great minds think alike :beer:

Gunfreak25

Wow, 200k on an 85 700r4. That is pretty impressive man . Mine has about 100,000 on it or so I was told. Hey if kept cool, clean and you set things up correctly and use it with common sense I see no reason they shouldn't last into the 200k range even stock. A spare around is a great idea, I will look into that when my GMC is done. Tear it open, build it up, paint it and shrink wrap that SOB for future use. They are a dime a dozen around these parts.