• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2L Reman Recommendations...

DavidJBlythe

Gents,

There are a few 6.2 diesel shops that pop up when I do an internet search for "6.2L rebuilt" or anything along those lines. Has anyone purchased a long block from one of these businesses? I've done a quick BBB check on some of them, but most don't even have a rating.

One in particular that stands out is this shop:
The Diesel Depot

I'd love to hear both horror and success stories from anyone who has dropped in one of these from ANY online business. Even if you know a person who bought one and want to retell their story, that's fine, too.

Thanks for the information.

ryan77

I dont trust anyone, I strip the block have it machined and assemble my self, checking tolerance's my self i dont want to drop it in and have to yank it because some flunky was to lazy to check bearing clearance.....2cents

diesel583

I bought a Marshall last spring. Looked real good they answered all my questions super fast. Drive it about 3 times a week , have not had a drop of trouble. Got about 3000 mi on it.

DavidJBlythe

Ryan,

I would do it myself, but I've never rebuilt an engine before! I love taking things apart but after seeing an engine go through a rebuild on powerblock tv, I think there are too many small things that I could mess up. I would love to just take out the old one, put a bunch of new stuff on a new engine and drop it all in and not have to worry about anything. That might be too much to ask for in any circumstance, but I would just like some piece of mind and a 0 mile engine.

ryan77

Its not that bad you just have to take your time, and triple check everything. You also have to find a machine shop you can trust. There are so many books out there you can do it your self. :razz:

Tanner

Jasper Engines & Transmissions - used to rep for them in NC - they use all new valve train components, only keeping the crank (polished journals & checked for straightness/demagnetized), Cam, block & heads (checked thoroughly for cracks or issues) - they often built their engines on new blocks, as many core blocks were junk.

New guides (no knurling), all new TRW pistons. Manley valves, match-bored cylinders (torque-plate honed), all quality parts.

Yep - they'll be a bit more expensive, but they build a quality unit. Jasper was rebuilding 6.X units for HMMWV requirements some years back.

You can buy cheap & cross your fingers... or you can pay once & buy quality with a good warranty.

'Tanner'

chevyCUCV

For the cost of a rebuild, why not take a look at a new optimizer engine?

I think its around 5600, and thats all new block and heads, forged connecting rods.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks