• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2L Reman Recommendations...

DavidJBlythe

Gents,

There are a few 6.2 diesel shops that pop up when I do an internet search for "6.2L rebuilt" or anything along those lines. Has anyone purchased a long block from one of these businesses? I've done a quick BBB check on some of them, but most don't even have a rating.

One in particular that stands out is this shop:
The Diesel Depot

I'd love to hear both horror and success stories from anyone who has dropped in one of these from ANY online business. Even if you know a person who bought one and want to retell their story, that's fine, too.

Thanks for the information.

ryan77

I dont trust anyone, I strip the block have it machined and assemble my self, checking tolerance's my self i dont want to drop it in and have to yank it because some flunky was to lazy to check bearing clearance.....2cents

diesel583

I bought a Marshall last spring. Looked real good they answered all my questions super fast. Drive it about 3 times a week , have not had a drop of trouble. Got about 3000 mi on it.

DavidJBlythe

Ryan,

I would do it myself, but I've never rebuilt an engine before! I love taking things apart but after seeing an engine go through a rebuild on powerblock tv, I think there are too many small things that I could mess up. I would love to just take out the old one, put a bunch of new stuff on a new engine and drop it all in and not have to worry about anything. That might be too much to ask for in any circumstance, but I would just like some piece of mind and a 0 mile engine.

ryan77

Its not that bad you just have to take your time, and triple check everything. You also have to find a machine shop you can trust. There are so many books out there you can do it your self. :razz:

Tanner

Jasper Engines & Transmissions - used to rep for them in NC - they use all new valve train components, only keeping the crank (polished journals & checked for straightness/demagnetized), Cam, block & heads (checked thoroughly for cracks or issues) - they often built their engines on new blocks, as many core blocks were junk.

New guides (no knurling), all new TRW pistons. Manley valves, match-bored cylinders (torque-plate honed), all quality parts.

Yep - they'll be a bit more expensive, but they build a quality unit. Jasper was rebuilding 6.X units for HMMWV requirements some years back.

You can buy cheap & cross your fingers... or you can pay once & buy quality with a good warranty.

'Tanner'

chevyCUCV

For the cost of a rebuild, why not take a look at a new optimizer engine?

I think its around 5600, and thats all new block and heads, forged connecting rods.