• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6 bolt to 10 Bolt wheel adapters

Another bump as well! I want a set, although I'd probably go for steel for the cheaper cost.

Food for thought though: Has anyone considered having a ring of steel cut out that slips over the entire 6 lug hub of the deuce that has the holes for a 10 lug rim and then having that welded onto the deuce hub? That would remove your ability to run 6 lub rims in the convex configuration, but would still allow you to rum them concave or run any 10 lug rim in either configuration. Of course, professional welding and balancing would be required, but the cost of material and ability to flip flop back and forth might be worthwhile.

JOEDEUCE

I'm interested, all depends on when this group buy takes place, like most folks I'm going to be wiped out by the holidays so id be looking at febuary before I could realistically purchase some without breaking the bank..

R Racing

Another bump as well! I want a set, although I'd probably go for steel for the cheaper cost.

Food for thought though: Has anyone considered having a ring of steel cut out that slips over the entire 6 lug hub of the deuce that has the holes for a 10 lug rim and then having that welded onto the deuce hub? That would remove your ability to run 6 lub rims in the convex configuration, but would still allow you to rum them concave or run any 10 lug rim in either configuration. Of course, professional welding and balancing would be required, but the cost of material and ability to flip flop back and forth might be worthwhile.

While steel is cheaper per pound the same size peice of aluminum maybe more expencive per pound, but alot less weight. So all in all the aluminum most likely will cost less material and machine time. kohburn is just down the road from me ( although we have never met) He sent me a drawing and we quoted making them for him ( I own a manufacturing company) But I have lost touch from him on the project, and haven't heard back from him.:(

Jeepjake

A bolt on solution

ok Gents, I took what Kohburn started and ran with it. i have started a design for a 100% bolt on adapter to go from deuce 6 lug to 5-ton 10 lug wheel patterns. it can be done with NO modifications to the truck OR the wheel, clearances get pretty tight, and hardware expenses get pretty outragous for a full set of studs and lug nuts, but with careful clocking of the wheel patterns, you can get counterbores and wheel stud fastener holes to clear each other ok. I quoted material costs up to $109 each NOT including machining, just raw materials (A36 plate). Hardware will run up another 100 per wheel easy for new studs and lug nuts.

Not all the kinks are worked out yet, when they are i will post drawings so yall can make your own if you have better resources than myself, I just dont have 200/wheel to make 6 of these little critters, so I will be modifying my Hemtt wheels unless i can make them cheaper somehow.

1. The adapter must be bolted to the wheel using standard (left and right hand)gr8 hardware and hardened washers rather than wheel lug nuts to keep size down, this means the adapter must be hub-centric rather than lug-centric on the deuce, I do not yet know if this will creat an issue, as the hubs on the deuce were not designed this way, so the tolerance may not be held tight enough.

2. The overlapping nature of the wheel patters create a nice little cavity for mud and crap to get in and corrode the fasteners that are holding the adapter to the hub as the center hole for the hemtt (and all other 10 lug wheels) will hafway cover the deuce pattern. (a solution for this may be to pocket the fastener hole out toward the center of the adapter so crap can fall out)

3. The adapter currently has a 1.5" thickness (to help create clearance for the installation of 15.5/80 R20 tires on HEMTT wheels). this could be reduced by possibly 3/8 inch without issue for other applications. this will also reduce cost.

Questions for the community:

I may be able to reduce a siginficant amount of cost by eliminating the hub pilot for the 10-lug wheel, these wheels are lug centric anyway so I dont see this as a big deal---someone with better big-rig knowledge than myself, please correct me if I am wrong, and explain why. :)

I can see finished costs ranging up to almost 300/wheel, and i cant imagine that is attractive to anyone? It is not to me.

i can see maybe carrying one of these spendy critters with you that would act as a "get out of trouble" adapter so you could run a 10 lug spare in an emergency.

thoughts?

cheers all!

Jeep

Attachments

Last edited:

Kohburn

still haven't installed mine - it's been on the bottom of the priority list
at the time that I had them made it cost about 200 per wheel including all the new studs, lug nuts and mounting hardware.

Kohburn

Really dropped the ball on this one guys - finally finishing the install on these this month.

I severely under estimated the time required by two little boys being born as well as the reduced mental capacity that lack of sleep causes.

59apache

Chipmaker
I severely under estimated the time required by two little boys being born as well as the reduced mental capacity that lack of sleep causes.
:mrgreen: i know that....days passing by, you feel remote-controlled and sooner or later you have no idea what day, month or year is. write your name on your wrist, as long you can remember it :mrgreen:

H2duece

Nice wheels!!! are you going to paint them, what color?

Looks like some did the same thing i did turn my 10 bolt together 5 ton rim and turned them into a 20!!! :beer:

Kohburn

one picture showing why how the center hole in the 10 lug wheels overlaps the studs of the 6 lug wheels.

also one picture showing a surprise... 32 count of 1/2 oz lead wheel weights. it was only on one of the fmtv wheels. I've never seen a strip of weights on a military wheel this size before, hard to believe it would have much affect. The tire had been dismounted so this strip will definitely have to be removed, balancing beads will be used instead.

Attachments

Last edited:

bugwhacker

If the adapters worked well do you have a machinist that is ready to make a set of 7? I would really like to shift over to 10 bolt Budd wheels.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks