• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6cta thermostat part number ?

seano11

So my new m931a2 was getting hot on the highway so I figured it might need a new thermostat. Pulled everything apart and no thermostat was even there. Called cummins and orderd a new one using my engine serial number. Easy right ? Nope this ones way to big. Cummins swears it's the right one. The part number was 3913028 anyone have the proper part number for these trucks ?

madcroc1

I also believe I need one as well. But if you didn't have a thermostat in your engine, that is not your problem. I understand that without a thermostat your engine should be running as colds as possible. The thermostat only regulates water-flow to keep the engine running at 180 degrees or warmer. Basically it stops the water from flowing when engine temperature is below 170 degrees. When engine is above 180 then the thermostat is supposed to be fully open. If you dont have a thermostat, then that means that water flow is flowing at its maximum flow rate and your problem is most likely not the thermostat but possibly a water pump or clogged water system some where.

I'm not a mechanic but can anyone confirm my belief above ??

The reason for thermostats is to keep the engine running warm enough... If we never had a thermostat, the engine would run way too cold and cold means bad fuel economy and bad efficiency.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What part number is listed in the Technical Manual?

seano11

I actually was given a thermostat for a 8.3 natural gas engine that's why it wouldn't fit. Have to love giving immigrants who can't speak English jobs...... Truck runs perfect now no more over heating

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could have avoided the poor customer service by giving them the part number(listed in the parts tm).

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah, or is that aye...

glassk

I also believe I need one as well. But if you didn't have a thermostat in your engine, that is not your problem. I understand that without a thermostat your engine should be running as colds as possible. The thermostat only regulates water-flow to keep the engine running at 180 degrees or warmer. Basically it stops the water from flowing when engine temperature is below 170 degrees. When engine is above 180 then the thermostat is supposed to be fully open. If you dont have a thermostat, then that means that water flow is flowing at its maximum flow rate and your problem is most likely not the thermostat but possibly a water pump or clogged water system some where.

I'm not a mechanic but can anyone confirm my belief above ??

The reason for thermostats is to keep the engine running warm enough... If we never had a thermostat, the engine would run way too cold and cold means bad fuel economy and bad efficiency.
A thermostat also restricts coolant flow so that it gives the radiator ample enough time to dissipate heat.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks