• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6x6 axle question

coachgeo

Going off what 98G said regarding modifications - this is a prime example of why you shouldn't buy someone else's nightmare. Yes, kudos to the seller for paying for the transfer but my recommendation is never buy something someone else screwed with and then decides to sell. It's one thing to do a modification yourself and know exactly what it is and what took place and a completely different story taking over someone else's partially completed project. GovPlanet is a crap shoot but generally anything broken is simply a replacement job not a re-engineering puzzle.
Non of his mods had anything to do with this issue so there was no difference in GovPlanet Crap shoot....... well in second thought, it appeared to be better odds buying from Ben since drive line had just been done by a shop.

Anyway... it was all put back to bone stock; except the ROP, and driven around town for another 500ish miles; before I picked it up. Actually thank god it happened on a truck that was not already at a point of eating all of me alive financially, as 99% of them out there would have. It's only eating 3/4 of me right now lol. If I'de purchased any of the other one$ out there then this happened, it would be an expensive paper weight right now cause I could not ever afford to do anything about it. Right now.... I can wing it sorta. Got to sell more stuff. So overall I consider myself lucky. Can't you tell... I'm a glass half-full kinda guy LOL.

So sorta glad it happened NOW. Sure in part cause its not as much out of my pocket to solve and in part cause now I know the bone stock 1078's Pre 2008 are not off the shelf solid long distance potential expedition vehicles unless one plans for rear driveline inspections and spec. checking after every offroad excursion to ensure nothing dinged the shaft or caused any other potential balance issue with it etc. IMHO it sounds like it would be wiser to outfits any pre 2008's that is going to get used extensively; not just for Parades and runs to Lowes, with a setup more like the 2008+ A1's or go with a driveline like GKN proposed that is less sensitive to anything that may have occurred when she's been worked.

If it had happend few years from now...... would have really sucked more. To slowly get it up to where I want it to be in a few years and then take a sabbatical of 6 to 12 months off and hit the road and trail only to have this happen then; that would be a much more of a huge disaster that financially I could not overcome it. Cause, I'd not be employed and not be reemployed again till the end of the sabbatical.

It is what it is. Am only moving forward from here. No need ragging on the past.

Last edited:

coachgeo

pic of Intermediate and rear axle of 6x6. Intermediate axle with Offset Differential Box and rear axle with tilted leaf spring perches.
axles_defense_rt.jpg

Last edited:

Overdrive

Coachgeo,
Sorry to hear you had a fatal failure on the rear shaft.

I have checked my 1078 rear shaft angles with an angle finder and they are actually not as severe as I had thought originally. As Suprman wrote there was probably something not installed correctly with the rear end setup/change or a already present problem with wear.

Glad to hear your not stuck with a tcase replacement cost.

scottmandu

I got this email from one of my driveshaft buddies who built LMTV driveshafts for the truck at Fort Leonard Wood.

"These are 1610 series Spicer driveshafts. We have repaired bunches of them for the Army. They tend to be worn out at the splines.Your angles don't look too bad.
by the way, the 1610 series is rated at 720lb. ft. of continuous torque and 7100 lb. ft. Minimum Yield ( breaking) torque......... and we have seen them break."

Last edited:

coachgeo

Coachgeo,
Sorry to hear you had a fatal failure on the rear shaft.

I have checked my 1078 rear shaft angles with an angle finder and they are actually not as severe as I had thought originally. ....
Good to know. If you were wanting little extra assurance of longevity by tilting rear axle upward some to improve things... how much would you suggest; now that you've done measurements.

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Non of his mods had anything to do with this issue .
Obviously he thinks so, or why else would he foot the bill for the repairs?

GP is a crapshoot, absolutely. They consider these trucks as scrap metal and will treat them accordingly rigjt upto the day you pick it up. But they won't misrepresent it, and they won't implement ill conceived and poorly executed "enhancements".

I'm not one of these guys who always thinks stock is better. Soni's FEMTT is one of the most impressive things I've seen....

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good to know. If you were wanting little extra assurance of longevity by tilting rear axle upward some to improve things... how much would you suggest; now that you've done measurements.

Question for you - if tilting the rear axle upward is an obvious improvement in the design , why would the engineers not design it that way in the first place?

Sometimes it's easy to see why things are made the way they were - optimizing one aspect at the expense of another, or blatant cost cutting, or EPA mandates of an inferior design. This is where mods can be an upgrade.

At other times, it seems obvious that making a change should be an improvement, with no obvious reason the OEM didn't make it that way. It is these times that you should question what you're thinking... because if it's obvious to you, maybe it's also obvious to a professional engineer. Perhaps they also see something you don't and there's a good reason it is made the way it is....

Lmtv772

Banned
Question for you - if tilting the rear axle upward is an obvious improvement in the design , why would the engineers not design it that way in the first place?

Sometimes it's easy to see why things are made the way they were - optimizing one aspect at the expense of another, or blatant cost cutting, or EPA mandates of an inferior design. This is where mods can be an upgrade.

At other times, it seems obvious that making a change should be an improvement, with no obvious reason the OEM didn't make it that way. It is these times that you should question what you're thinking... because if it's obvious to you, maybe it's also obvious to a professional engineer. Perhaps they also see something you don't and there's a good reason it is made the way it is....
Excellent !

coachgeo

Sometimes it's easy to see why things are made the way they were - optimizing one aspect at the expense of another, or blatant cost cutting, or EPA mandates of an inferior design. This is where mods can be an upgrade.At other times, it seems obvious that making a change should be an improvement, with no obvious reason the OEM didn't make it that way. It is these times that you should question what you're thinking... because if it's obvious to you, maybe it's also obvious to a professional engineer. Perhaps they also see something you don't and there's a good reason it is made the way it is....
Have argued your same points before many a time. It's a rule of thumb argument though and not an exact science.

Can't deny that there appears to be a history of issues in the rear driveline. So much so that studies to resolve rear driveline issues were conducted. changes made, engineer suggestions ignored, other changes made... and for all we know more changes may still happen again before its all over. So while very often a good argument, sounds like this rule of thumb does not fit to well this time.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are classified as code A and are available from the government for free.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks