• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

700R4 transmission in a HMMWV

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you identified the exact Whipple unit you plan to install? I would ike to look at it and compare it to the Bullet. Thanks.
I already have the unit. I can post pics in a few days. Currently packed away in my outdoor storage container, and it’s cold out.

One advantage of the Whipple is rebuild parts seem to be accessible in the USA. I wonder about the Bullet for us in the USA. Also what about delivery charges?

How do you plan on keeping the harmonic balancer from spinning on the crankshaft? Does this kit have a dowel insertion drill guide?

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do you plan on keeping the harmonic balancer from spinning on the crankshaft? Does this kit have a dowel insertion drill guide?
I haven't progressed that far yet with Bullet. However their 6.5 unit is not something they "just came out with". They currently have many units running on 6.5's, so evidently they have addressed the matter. I will re-post here when I have answers.

MattNC

Have you guys seen the kit BMI is developing and now says is for sale for a full mechanical turbo for hmmwvs? They have a 6.2 and 6.5 kit. I’d like to see some reviews of it at some point. They are 3 hr from me so maybe a road trip. My friend is a Detroit diesel mechanic and I want him to give his thoughts as well. I wonder if you’d need to stud the heads and if that’s included with their kit. It would be a nice combo with a 700r4 or 4L80

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you guys seen the kit BMI is developing and now says is for sale for a full mechanical turbo for hmmwvs? They have a 6.2 and 6.5 kit. I’d like to see some reviews of it at some point. They are 3 hr from me so maybe a road trip. My friend is a Detroit diesel mechanic and I want him to give his thoughts as well. I wonder if you’d need to stud the heads and if that’s included with their kit. It would be a nice combo with a 700r4 or 4L80
I have personally seen the kit installed on a 6.2. It seems well done throughout with exception of the final exhaust leg. Its an accident waiting to happen. It exits UNDER the frame rail beneath the passenger seat and then goes back out the rear. You will not be offroading with it very long. I am hoping they adjust it. I talked to the guy for quite awhile, and seems pretty knowledgeable from a engine background at least, but the exhaust was terrible.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like mine. I went with a 765R4 rebuilt by bowtieoverdrives. Only put a few dozen miles on it BUT I really like it.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like mine. I went with a 765R4 rebuilt by bowtieoverdrives. Only put a few dozen miles on it BUT I really like it.
Hey Sir - how did you adjust the TV cable? Did you adjust it at the bracket or did you install a gauge onto the transmission? Chris at Bowtie recommends using the gauge, however I believe an accurate adjustment can be made at the bracket.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Sir - how did you adjust the TV cable? Did you adjust it at the bracket or did you install a gauge onto the transmission? Chris at Bowtie recommends using the gauge, however I believe an accurate adjustment can be made at the bracket.
My mechanic who builds rally cars adjusted at the bracket.

tomelroy

Do both. Make sure you have all the slack out of your throttle cable first, when you are at full throttle on the floor you want full throttle on the injector pump. Once that is done you can adjust the TV cable at the bracket. Just make sure you have zero pull on the TV at idle and full TV at full throttle. Then hook up the gauge and see if you need to do any fine tuning!

Glider

I just ordered a 700r4 from Bowtie Overdrive. I ordered all parts to mount transfer case directly to trans. From what i understand it will not need crossmember modification or driveshaft changes. I have a question about the trans lockup switch. I found a dual pole brake switch that appears to have 2 separate contacts. im thinking i could run 12v on one pole and 24 on the other by separating the male fitting with 2 wires into 2 male fittings with one for each voltage. Will this work?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just ordered a 700r4 from Bowtie Overdrive. I ordered all parts to mount transfer case directly to trans. From what i understand it will not need crossmember modification or driveshaft changes. I have a question about the trans lockup switch. I found a dual pole brake switch that appears to have 2 separate contacts. im thinking i could run 12v on one pole and 24 on the other by separating the male fitting with 2 wires into 2 male fittings with one for each voltage. Will this work?

I see you decided on the 700R4, I think you will be very happy with it.

MattNC

8 week lead time...ugh

Anyone have input concerning brake switch
Hey Glider. My 700r4 is going in right now and the shop doing it went the dual switch route you suggested. I’ll ask him more specifics once I get the truck tomorrow. We debated not doing the dual switch, but you need a way to open up the TCC if you hit the brakes on the highway and that’s the easiest way we could figure to go.

Glider

Great to hear! I ordered a dual switch a few days ago, have a new 4 speed shifter, and have the kit coming. Did you buy yours from bowtie overdrives? If so I'd love to know if you needed any additional parts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks