• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

'71 M35A2 air compressor lubrication

SailorJerry

I got excited to hear that another member had the same problem I am having until it ended up just being a piece of metal (thank god for you ;) anyways I too had a horribly loud squelching similiar to a belt and extremely loud almost metallic sound. A buddy of mine and myself came to the conclusion that it was the compressor. Unfortunately as soon as we figured this out it took two 2 minutes from the garage back to its parking spot to seize up im assuming because I smelled rubber and looked and my belt was eaten up. Where should I start from here as far as fixing my problem??? Buy a whole new compressor or look at rebuilding or replacing some bearings?? I welcome and appreciate all responses!!

chadtrees

Same Compressor problems

I got excited to hear that another member had the same problem I am having until it ended up just being a piece of metal (thank god for you ;) anyways I too had a horribly loud squelching similiar to a belt and extremely loud almost metallic sound. A buddy of mine and myself came to the conclusion that it was the compressor. Unfortunately as soon as we figured this out it took two 2 minutes from the garage back to its parking spot to seize up im assuming because I smelled rubber and looked and my belt was eaten up. Where should I start from here as far as fixing my problem??? Buy a whole new compressor or look at rebuilding or replacing some bearings?? I welcome and appreciate all responses!!
I've been doing some searching and only found your post that relates to the symptoms I'm having. Mine just started a loud squeal/grinding like a pulley bearing going out. Was hoping it was compressor belt but from further inspection its like its coming from inside the compressor. What did you ever find out about your situation?

chadtrees

I'm still trying to troubleshoot the noise to be 100% certain before I purchase a compressor. I'm thinking if I remove compressor belt and noise goes away I should be confident its the compressor. Would there be anything mechanically negative to running the motor without compressor belt installed?

Privatewrench

I replaced my air wiper control and took a buffing wheel to my data plates, while I had them off to paint the cab. Everything cleaned up nice.

pic.jpg

Ajax MD

I replaced my air wiper control and took a buffing wheel to my data plates, while I had them off to paint the cab. Everything cleaned up nice.

View attachment 754931

Hey, question on cleaning the data plates. Mine are oxidized and I wondered if I could polish them up without removing the black background and lettering and such.
Did you use any kind of cleaner or compound with the buffing wheel?

I know I can buy shiny new plates, but I'd like to try to clean mine up first.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I'm still trying to troubleshoot the noise to be 100% certain before I purchase a compressor. I'm thinking if I remove compressor belt and noise goes away I should be confident its the compressor. Would there be anything mechanically negative to running the motor without compressor belt installed?
Block the wheels good as there will be no brake assist and have at it.

Privatewrench

Hey, question on cleaning the data plates. Mine are oxidized and I wondered if I could polish them up without removing the black background and lettering and such.
Did you use any kind of cleaner or compound with the buffing wheel?
I know I can buy shiny new plates, but I'd like to try to clean mine up first.
Ajax MD,
I used a light polishing compound that I typically use to removed minor scratches and door dings on my cars. A polishing wheel on my drill and I buffed away. Had zero issues with removing color or lettering. I had a lot of Carc paint on my data plates from the army issue paint job. It took a good amount of time to buff it all off, but it worked. I was tempted to bump up to a higher grit compound as my hands were getting pretty soar, but a smarter person would just take a break and come back to it. Took about 3 and half hours to do all the data plates. I was glad to be done and they polished up nice and shiny. I think it brought the colors out in them better than before.

clean.jpg

Privatewrench

Well crap.... I just realized I posted my original data plate project on the wrong thread. Sorry for hijacking this conversation. Was meant for "What have you done to your Deuce lately".

chadtrees

Got the compressor belt off today. Compressor is definitely the problem. I never knew the truck could sound so good without that compressor hooked up! Now to find a new compressor.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Don't forget about all the metal that may now be in the oil pan and filters etc. Many people loose an engine when this happens.

chadtrees

It never actually stopped working it just started to make some horrible squealing/scraping noises. I will definitely change fluids and filters to be on the safe side. Are you saying the oil pan needs to be dropped or just fluids changed?

texas30cal

Could a screen be added to the compressor mounting bracket to catch the debris in case of a failure? I haven’t seen the inside of a bracket in a long time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks