• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

71DeuceAK's M929A2

71DeuceAK

Nearly a decade ago, I had my first ride in a deuce, a M109A2 made into a propane truck. It was loud, rough, the passenger seat was a pair of ammo cans, and the 14-year-old me thought it was neat but didn't give it much more thought. Up and down the rocky beaches where I grew up, Port Alexander, Alaska.

Fast forward a couple years, and I learned what those trucks really were- and instantly knew I wanted one. Joined SteelSoldiers after watching about every YouTube video about them there was at the time. Learned of the existence of the M939 and M809 series 5 tons.

A year later, I got to ride in one again, and sat in my first M939 series, an M929 on G177s. I knew then and there that cab was home. It was Christmas break, senior year of high school. I had purposely gone out to a friend's place where they had some of these trucks to experience them again. First thing I ever really did on my own once I was 18. Muddy River/Thomas Bay, Alaska. Same guy as my first deuce ride.

Later that spring, through Steel Soldiers, I started talking to someone who, as it were, later became my first college roommate that fall after some small-world coincidences. Fairbanks, Alaska.

Christmas break that year (Freshman year of college) I met (through S/S) a member in my childhood hometown who had some M939s and had been stationed where I was going to college. Got together, grabbed lunch, talked trucks, climbed around on trucks. Around the same time I started talking through the Facebook groups to someone who had an M929A2- incidentally, the very truck I am now acquiring. Visit back to Atascadero, California where I spent my childhood. On another visit, met another member.

Started meeting more people. Met a local member that fall who took me for my first ride in an M923. I knew then and there I wouldn't want anything but...as a vehicle, period. Met another member who had since PCS'ed to Alabama and then North Carolina who came up for a DMV errand.

My extended family started becoming mostly army truck owners.

The next summer, I house-sat for the friend I first went to visit to climb around on trucks with. Bought an M928 in Oklahoma I became well-known for, the yellow ex fire truck that didn't run. It was literally the first vehicle I ever owned. Period. "My first vehicle was a forest service army fire truck that never ran is one of those random crazy things I tell people. Truck was in Skiatook, Oklahoma.

While there, I started talking (on S/S) to someone back where I went to college who, as it were, ended up renting me their spare bedroom to get me off campus. They had an M923A2. Fairbanks, Alaska.

The next fall, with an all-online course schedule, I found myself traveling all over the United States going to events- with other members. It was a crazy time. Met lots of members of S/S at such places. By then, probably more than half the people I knew were army truck people.

That Christmas break (senior year of college) went to work for someone in Glenburn, North Dakota I met through the Facebook groups trying to rescue an M925 where I was going to college.

That next summer, went commercial fishing with the individual I initially had my first Deuce rides years ago with. Later quit and went to work for the guy who had an M929A2 for their tree service outfit (He's an arborist). It was a get-on-a-plane-today move, with the clothes I was wearing and not much else. Felt like going to another rally or MV related job- because it was. Mason City, Illinois.

He brought me here over the truck. Literally. All the way from Alaska. I went from cutting herring bait to feeding a wood chipper in less than 72 hours. Had to rebuild my life from scratch. Just bought a house in June, while I still have my home in Alaska.

Finally, as it happens, I am buying that particular truck. The truck is what I blame for moving me here in the first place. God sure works in some interesting ways. It's been an interesting last year or two. Haven't seen home in Alaska in nearly a year.

Cashier's check in the bank, going to pull it back out on Tuesday and acquire 29,000 lbs of green, Prius crushing American steel. Someone who knows these trucks and lived many of the places I did (Here, as well as a couple in Alaska, go figure) told me I must be doing well. "You bought a house and a dump truck, good choices!"

Truck has a bad shutdown solenoid that needs zip tied to keep running (easy fix), CTIS doesn't work and is currently disabled, one fuel tank is still full of JP8, tank selector switch stuck on the other tank, could use tires, leaking axle seal or two and by now is starting to really be able to use some paint.

In this state I need a Class B to legally drive her without going historic, so planning to get mileage plates eventually. Money and licensure no object, I may just end up with the thing as a semi daily driver. As luck has it, I've always lived car-less, even now, so it'll be the first vehicle I own that actually runs. I've never owned a civilian vehicle. "My first running vehicle, at 23 years old, was a 30 year old army dump truck".

If it wasn't for some initial rabbit-hole-diving in late 2014, all of this would have never happened to me.

Some special thanks due, in no particular order: 98G, RKrug, MwMules, 19Kilo, 86M1008, Jeepsinker, and some others that aren't on here.

Not sure what highest priorities are on the truck at first, as she'll probably sit for a bit and hopefully not annoy the neighbors or the city code officer (Luckily, I am on really good terms with them, as a neighbor down the street, and they're happy I bought the previously empty for years, blighted house and am fixing it up).

I need a dump truck anyway for some of the dirt work I will have to do- breaking concrete and digging up the sewer line and filling in an old septic come to mind. Besides, since I'd like to move out of Illinois, the truck will be what carries my belongings when I move elsewhere- hopefully for something related to army trucks, as has caused most of my other moves.

I am sure lots of searching Steel Soldiers and asking of questions will follow shortly. I should own this thing in like 48 hours if all goes well. Exciting yet nerve racking.

Code here requires either plate it or cover it. Any suggestions on covering one of these trucks? Might stop the rain anyway which is a plus on these. Large car canopy maybe? Anyone on here have any suggestions? What did the military use besides the obvious camo netting? For now, I have to shove it next to my 2 story, hip roof Craftsman on a postage-stamp lot in town.

tobyS

Congratulations....Your model is probably the M929A0 or just M929 with Cummins 250 and budd wheels. C& C has the fuel shutoff, I think under $100.

They are great trucks. I'd like to have another 817.

Don't forget to disable the front axle lock so going to low range does not automatically lock in the front axle when in low (reverse). I find myself pushing the load back (probably more than I should) and want full control of when the front locks in.

71DeuceAK

OK, partial short list of things she needs at some point, in no particular order:

-Could use paint, rust prevention in spots

-Tires are old/worn/mixed (At least one is from 2005; for perspective in '05 I was in first grade, I'm now graduated with a Bachelors).

-Electively fix CTIS

-Electively fix shutdown solenoid (Currently, it's just deleted, been puling the manual stop cable)

-Tarp her

-Plate her/insure her

-Passenger door window regulator needs attention (Window will roll down but not back up unless disassembled)

-Both doors/windows need adjustment (You know how they are, they don't fit/seal quite right).

-Need one window regulator on passenger side windshield

-Maybe pull floor mat? I'm in a wet/humid climate here.

-Couple marker lights need replaced

-Clean out drivers side fuel tank still full of JP8; strainer a rusted mess

-Unstick tank selector valve on floor (98G was here the day after I got her home and looked her over and suggested have a new one handy, it may crack and suck air).

-Find bows/cargo cover/troop seats (Rare to find)

As luck and pure situational coincidences would have it, this is the first vehicle I have ever owned that runs. Yes, I found myself with a 30 year old army dump truck before I even had a car; I've always lived car-less.

Couple questions:

-I've been leaving the glad-hands open to help deter air building in the event of theft/tampering. I'm in a decent neighborhood, but the neighbors next door have very young children of the climb-in-the-cab-and-make-engine-noises age, these trucks lack keyed ignitions, etc. Also been leaving PCB unscrewed, stop cable pulled out. Will leaving air line drains and glad hands open cause me moisture problems later in the Illinois misery index?

-I've got my bed propped a bit to let rainwater drain. Any issues with having just stuck a board in there?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
OK, partial short list of things she needs at some point, in no particular order:

-Could use paint, rust prevention in spots

-Tires are old/worn/mixed (At least one is from 2005; for perspective in '05 I was in first grade, I'm now graduated with a Bachelors).

-Electively fix CTIS

-Electively fix shutdown solenoid (Currently, it's just deleted, been puling the manual stop cable)

-Tarp her

-Plate her/insure her

-Passenger door window regulator needs attention (Window will roll down but not back up unless disassembled)

-Both doors/windows need adjustment (You know how they are, they don't fit/seal quite right).

-Need one window regulator on passenger side windshield

-Maybe pull floor mat? I'm in a wet/humid climate here.

-Couple marker lights need replaced

-Clean out drivers side fuel tank still full of JP8; strainer a rusted mess

-Unstick tank selector valve on floor (98G was here the day after I got her home and looked her over and suggested have a new one handy, it may crack and suck air).

-Find bows/cargo cover/troop seats (Rare to find)

As luck and pure situational coincidences would have it, this is the first vehicle I have ever owned that runs. Yes, I found myself with a 30 year old army dump truck before I even had a car; I've always lived car-less.

Couple questions:

-I've been leaving the glad-hands open to help deter air building in the event of theft/tampering. I'm in a decent neighborhood, but the neighbors next door have very young children of the climb-in-the-cab-and-make-engine-noises age, these trucks lack keyed ignitions, etc. Also been leaving PCB unscrewed, stop cable pulled out. Will leaving air line drains and glad hands open cause me moisture problems later in the Illinois misery index?

-I've got my bed propped a bit to let rainwater drain. Any issues with having just stuck a board in there?
I am sure there are other opinions, but the gladhands being open will invite more trouble than good IMO.
Seal them things back up! ;-)

Having just graduated, I am sure you don't have a lot of bread to go around. I am sure that at some point soon that paying for what you learnt is going to start costing you too. I do have to say THANKS for letting the kids play. I still remember those days for me, and that was more than 50 years ago!
With the kids, making sure is the only way to be. The PCB could get smoked playing and flipping switches - so maybe the smart thing is to remove the ground wire. A switched disconnect -maybe even keyed can come later. Yeah, it's a pain but better than saying "I sure wish that I had..... (whatever).

I can't see a problem in the world with a block under the bed. Again, kids involved so be sure they can't knock it out.

The tank cleaning and the tank selector could be a relatively inexpensive fix. Both are a pain but they eventually have to be done. Sad to say I need to rebuild my valve too. Along with every piece of rubber connected to it.

Marker lights turned out to be not as bad as I had thought they might be on my truck. I had 5 bad lights. 2 were completely shot. The other three were repaired with a wire brush that fit the light socket. Maybe you can save one or two of yours as well! I reused the old glass in mine so the new wouldn't be so obvious.

When you start shopping for insurance, ask everybody who has a phone that rings! Some folks have no interest in covering you and "that big green truck". Only real advise I have is don't try to cheat the system. Be up front with them. The insurance folks are going to stand between "bad" and whatever happens if it ever does. My opinion of insurance is that it is a necessary evil. Them not having a reason to say that you signed the application under false pretenses isn't where you ever want to be.

The window regulators are a ROYAL PAIN. On the other hand, if they aren't rusted away to nothing they might be repairable. I have one done right and the other needs attention on my M936. It took an entire day to fix one. Pull it out, clean it up, lube it everywhere and put it back together. There are two clips that hold the window to the regulator. Finding new ones will make you happier. Especially if you drop one and lose it. When my regulator was back in, I was concerned about the window "slopping around" in the track. Ended up using felt to replace that in mine...

Paint and Rust fixes: So, I am not a painter. I have managed to go through two boxes of RAPCO 383 Green. I am on my second case now. Half and Half of primer and green. I started out with a wire brush and a putty knife. It didn't take too long to upgrade to a wire brush on a side grinder. I have gone through several gallon cans of Acetone to wipe down the dust before priming. The rust seems to have stopped, so I am really happy with the "look" when compared to when I started. For the longest time, I really couldn't see much improvement. BUT, the more you do, the better it starts to look. I figure eventually I will paint the entire thing - one day - hopefully.

Soooooooo, I don't know that I told you anything that you didn't already know. You can do like I have done. Work on something on Saturday, then get in it and at least drive it somewhere. Even around the block makes it feel like you did more than just work on it all the time...

tobyS

I use a block on mine to drain the rain out. When I go looking for a dump the bed is the first place to look. I know of a couple 817s that held water and they are junk. No problem with hydraulics.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I prefer nobody touches it, and their kids are super well behaved, but you just never know...
Agreed that we all prefer nobody touches their stuff.
None of my business, but please be careful.

Kids will be kids and you can't undo something if one of them got hurt.
Prevention is cheaper than standing beside a hole in the ground.

71DeuceAK

Amen to that. Our trucks are actually a huge liability. One negative incident, given the availability heuristic of how human psychology and the news cycle work, work against our hobby in a big way. We don't need any negative publicity.

Partially cleaned the local Dollar General out of WD-40 and started spraying rust, particularly the bottom of the door jambs, edge of the cab floor, and under the floor mat, and the pockets and underside of the dump bed. I need to at least wire-brush the loose paint, too, but in the meantime it was a quick stop-gap measure to buy myself some time on rust issues.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Amen to that. Our trucks are actually a huge liability. One negative incident, given the availability heuristic of how human psychology and the news cycle work, work against our hobby in a big way. We don't need any negative publicity.

Partially cleaned the local Dollar General out of WD-40 and started spraying rust, particularly the bottom of the door jambs, edge of the cab floor, and under the floor mat, and the pockets and underside of the dump bed. I need to at least wire-brush the loose paint, too, but in the meantime it was a quick stop-gap measure to buy myself some time on rust issues.
Yes indeed. Bad press even with the nit-wits handling the news these days - bad PR would be all over the airwaves.

It sounds like your truck was in about the same shape as mine. I have been steadily using WD, then going to wire brushes and rattlecans. It has been getting better all the time. Hard part is that the better it makes some things - the worse others appear. I guess no car wash and no wax for 35 years would do that to just about any vehicle. :)

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It's like painting/remodeling home interiors- paint the walls, the ceiling looks dingy. Paint that, the trim looks bad.
For Sure! Same with inside and outside. Long years ago, my house was that way. Outside was so nice. Inside looked awful. Inside was gutted, re-plumbed, re-wired and new everything else. Over a year long process. Then as it was slowly being finished, the outside looked worse and worse. Took several years to raise funding for that part of the project.

Happy Fixing and keep posting pictures as you go.
They help keep you motivated as much as showing what you have accomplished.

71DeuceAK

Couple little things. Need bulbs for the dash lights. Also need to replace the ABS fuse. Wasn’t getting the double triple click at power-up. Was it common for these to blow because of a particular fault?

Went to lift the dump bed the other day and nothing. Uh oh. Turns out I’m low on fluid. Fascinated as yo how, as I don’t have a stain on the ground.

71DeuceAK

Trying to actually maybe make this thing road legal and DOT-passable (as much as one of these will).
Ran it in the Christmas parade, where a shakedown voyage on this gigantic beast without plates wouldn’t draw the wrong kind of attention. At least I found a good list of issues I have in practice:

-The tailgate is too heavy to lift myself. Took waving down a neighbor at lineup to even get it hung by the chain so my dim, 24-volt tail lights were even visible.

-of course, these aren’t the most visible thing at night with stock paint.

-for a lighting enthusiast, I sure have lots of burned out bulbs. Marker lights, had a headlight burn out the high beam mid trip, only one works on low beam. Might go LED.

My super single tires are aging. They (along with my batteries!) are from 2005. I was in first grade in ‘05, now graduated with a Bachelor’s and in a trade apprenticeship, bought a house, etc. A couple leak down slowly.

I’m trying to get the air system to pass DOT regs. I lose air pretty quick from 120 PSI at shutdown, but that levels out after about 110. Wonder why? My biggest audible source of leaks is those funky air wipers, which I’ve got tightened up a fair bit.

I’m currently going for my CDL, so will hopefully be able to legally drive her pretty soon. I’d like to get her plates within the year and haul rock and dirt as a side gig to earn her keep and pay for the maintenance/tags/insurance.
I have a passenger window regulator to address, as well as an inoperable dump hoist (just needing fluid).

I’ll fully admit 5 ton ownership isn’t for the faint of heart, but to me it is totally worth it, though currently major projects have been deferred due to lack of funds. The Christmas parade was the first time she moved since I bought her in August!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Trying to actually maybe make this thing road legal and DOT-passable (as much as one of these will).
Ran it in the Christmas parade, where a shakedown voyage on this gigantic beast without plates wouldn’t draw the wrong kind of attention. At least I found a good list of issues I have in practice:

-The tailgate is too heavy to lift myself. Took waving down a neighbor at lineup to even get it hung by the chain so my dim, 24-volt tail lights were even visible.

-of course, these aren’t the most visible thing at night with stock paint.

-for a lighting enthusiast, I sure have lots of burned out bulbs. Marker lights, had a headlight burn out the high beam mid trip, only one works on low beam. Might go LED.

My super single tires are aging. They (along with my batteries!) are from 2005. I was in first grade in ‘05, now graduated with a Bachelor’s and in a trade apprenticeship, bought a house, etc. A couple leak down slowly.

I’m trying to get the air system to pass DOT regs. I lose air pretty quick from 120 PSI at shutdown, but that levels out after about 110. Wonder why? My biggest audible source of leaks is those funky air wipers, which I’ve got tightened up a fair bit.

I’m currently going for my CDL, so will hopefully be able to legally drive her pretty soon. I’d like to get her plates within the year and haul rock and dirt as a side gig to earn her keep and pay for the maintenance/tags/insurance.
I have a passenger window regulator to address, as well as an inoperable dump hoist (just needing fluid).

I’ll fully admit 5 ton ownership isn’t for the faint of heart, but to me it is totally worth it, though currently major projects have been deferred due to lack of funds. The Christmas parade was the first time she moved since I bought her in August!
August isn't bad... Especially since you were able to fire her off and participate in the Christmas parade!
These little toys can definitely chew on your wallet some, but the smiles that you get - and the folks who wave as you are cruising along make it worthwhile. It sounds like you have a plan, so I am offering up my best to you on your quest.

71DeuceAK

Found I might have an exhaust leak, Although I don’t think it’s the manifold. Rather, I think it’s where it exits the turbo charger. At first, I thought it was steam, since I have started up the truck on a damn 40° weather day, but it definitely smells like diesel smoke in there under the hood. Return deletAlthough I don’t think it’s the manifold. Rather, I think it’s where it exits the turbo charger. At first, I thought it was steam, since I have started up the truck on a damn 40° weather day, but it definitely smells like diesel smoke in there under the hood.

I also think I have an axle hub bolt missing on the steer axle. Looks like the threads might also be stripped out. Anyone else ever have this situation? If so, how did you fix it?

I need to replace some bad bulbs, as well as get the low etting on the blower motor going again.It’s been disconnected due to a bad terminal on the batteries.

A couple of the gladhand duck dummy couplers are also are missing the little rubber seals on their covers that hang from chains.

It probably couldn’t hurt to have chains on both ends of the tailgate.

I also need to figure out why the ABS doesn’t work. As purchased, the system had a blown fuse.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks