• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

800 Series questions

BigUgly

Hey guys;
Maybe you guys can help me out. I have plans to aquire a 800 series tractor in a few years. I'm going to use it to tow a 5th wheel trailer that will be for the transport of my off-road toy, a built RamCharger, it's also going to have a removable camping section with beds, bathroom, etc. It'll be removable incase I need to haul larger loads.
Now, I have a few questions about the 800 series. I plan on going to single 53"s. Okay, if I can't get a tractor with a front winch, is it possible to retrofit one or is there an issue with frame lengths? Also, what is the 5th gear in the trans, pretty sure it's an OD, but can't find the gear ratio? I would also like to maybe run a turbo on the Cummins, but I have a friend who is a long-time Diesel mechanic, he works mostly on pick-ups now, but used to run a big-rig shop, I'm gonna pick his brain also. If turboing isn't an option, how difficult would it be to swap in a turboed 8.3C Cummins? One last question... How much of a PITA is it to run the exhaust out a stack behind the cab, with a muffler?
That's about it guys, thanks for any help you can give this perspective victom of the OD Disease.
Josiah

acetomatoco

All it takes is money....I believe a good diesel mechanic can open the 250 up to 300 hp naturally aspirated...and I believe a engine brake can be fitted...remember that the truck has hydraulic brakes and you better have good brakes on any trailer you tow.. you can put a conventional rear of the cab stack and run a flex line from the muffler to piping of your choice as it is just a 4 bolt flange. The winch is all bolt on...no problems...

papercu

Question

Well, First it's a M809 Series. The problem with a turbo is that there is no room under the hood for it. I've heard of one being done but they had to butcher the hood. Good luck, Wayne

Jones

RE: Question

As far as the winch question goes; Most all of the M series trucks will show as w/wo winch in the descriptions as they were all designed to be equipped with one. A winch "kit" should be the winch and mounts, frame extensions to space out the front bumper, PTO and PTO shaft, maybe even the applicable data plate(s) for the dash. If you can't find the whole set-up in one package it should be easy enough to piece one together.

BigUgly

Thanks for all the answers guys.
Last night, after I posted, I downloded and skimmed through the technical book on the M809 series. Judging that the top speed recomended in 5th gear is about %30 higher than the top speed in 4th, I'm thinking the OD ratio is around 0.70:1, this sound good to ya'll? The main thing I was worried about was the winch question, thanks for that. As to fitting a turbo, my Diesel Mechanic friend snuggled a B5.9 12 valve Cummins into a Dakota a few years ago, if it's even remotly possible, he could turbo it. Besides the turbo fitting, are there any other reasons not to turbo it? I'd like to intercool it and run about 15-20 psi of boost, maybe less. I imagine the Intercooler would require some grill modifications.
Again, thanks for the answers and if anyone could confirm the OD ratio?
Josiah

BigUgly

Yes... "Sigh" That's excatly what I'm looking for, and only 3 hours away! Now, if only I had the money for it! aua Unfortunatly, it's gonna be a few years!
That is a very nice looking truck.
Josiah

jwaller

I'd like to get 10k for it. I know it's worth it. I have seen far lesser trucks go for more on GL. and the dealers get 14 or more for them. I paid ~8k for it from GL and have put $ into it since then.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
man that is a super good looking truck, sorry you have to part with it, but you cant keep everything i know , good luck but your price is right on so you wont have any problems with selling it Tim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks