• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

800 series winch mounting q's

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need some help from some of you with factory winches on your 800 series trucks. Trying to mount up a Garwood 20,000 to the front of Sirblissful's M820A2 and ran into a snag. First, looking at the inside the frame pics, do we need to drill out the frame rail and add more bolts where the gray primer spots are? Also, I was under the assumption that the M39 series and 800 series mounts are the same. The bracket in the second pic (from a M39 series truck) will not match up to the holes on the frame extensions we are trying to use. Anyone got a pair? They are too short to redrill.

Edit: Is it possible that the frame extension inserts we have are for a 900 series truck?

Attachments

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
thay should be the same, the frame extensions, both inner/outer and the winch mount plates and the lower angles. my extendsons came off a m52, don't know what my winch came off, but came with the winch mounts, these matched up to the mounts that I had got with my extendsons, all of which BOLTED up on my 819,

Could you have the inserts fliped

According to my OLD ord-9 (so old only covers gassers) and 2320-260-20P, ALL the extensons, inserts, winch mounts, and angles ARE THE SAME

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like we might have frame extensions from a 900 series? From Topo's pic, you can see that the holes are in a pattern like a domino, and there is no tab sticking in the frame towards the radiator like we have. That is probably why the mount is not matching up to the holes on the frame extension.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I know I just had the ord-9 and the 260-20p in front of me, the p/n ARE the SAME

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just went out and looked at 2 sets of winch extensions. One on my M819 and one set off of an old 5 ton gasser. Both are the same, and different looking than yours.

They have 4 holes in a square pattern, at each end. Then they have 2 holes along the center line(one end only), that the tiedown handle bolts through.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like we might have frame extensions from a 900 series? From Topo's pic, you can see that the holes are in a pattern like a domino, and there is no tab sticking in the frame towards the radiator like we have. That is probably why the mount is not matching up to the holes on the frame extension.

I think your right. Here's a pic out of the 939 series TM

Attachments

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does his winch have the hydraulic motor adaptor on the input shaft?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does his winch have the hydraulic motor adaptor on the input shaft?
Nope, it is PTO shaft driven. Thanks Doghead, I just looked at the same diagram on JATonka's web site and sure enough, we have the wrong frame extensions. Two hours effort wasted this morning bolting this up, oh well.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like you could just drill the rear most 2 holes out, through the existing holes in the frame. Then drill the 2 holes for the tiedown handle.

Does it look like the front end is correct for the 809 series front bumper?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like you could just drill the rear most 2 holes out, through the existing holes in the frame. Then drill the 2 holes for the tiedown handle.

Does it look like the front end is correct for the 809 series front bumper?

Yes, the bumper gussets and the bumper matched up fine, just some of the holes (as you see) were not in the right spot. I'll see if Sirblissful wants a date with the drill press.

Sirblissfull

If we can drill it out without too much hassle that is fine.

The mounting plates however still will not match up along the top of the frame rail, those will be off far enough I think I should find the correct plates.