• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

803 not generating

Guyfang

Staff member
That’s the # stamped in casting. The printed # is 30554-88-20234 MFR 44940
30554= this is an FSCM. Thats the entity that is responsible for issuing the part number. This is MEP. Mobile Electric Power. Its the Army office responsible for power generation.

88-20234= is the Army part number. Not always the manufacturers part number, and in this case its not. Whenever you see a part number that starts with 88-**** that means its a power generation specific part.

44940= this is a FSCM. Thats the entity that supply's the part. That is not always who makes it. In this case, it is who makes the part. ONAN.

funky winkerbean

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So am I safe to order the 186 6467 ? I sure appreciate everyone’s help. And it is a very heavy flywheel so I can see an engine problem not running smoothly to possibly shear the bolts. I was gonna drop the oil and filter and see if there’s any debris in there.

Ray70

Its funny that no matter what PN listed above you research, not much info is available. and no pictures.
Here's where I got my info.
Green mountain lists 186-6467 as the Onan PN for an 802/803 flywheel for $995
If you google that Onan# you find several other Diesel suppliers selling the same PN as a Flywheel
If you google either of the other numbers you will find virtually nothing.
Maybe you could call one of the lower priced guys and try to get a picture?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have found that to be true for a lot of the Onan items that were 'absorbed' into the Cummins system... its barebones copy and pricing info, with no real interest in digging up details for those interested.

funky winkerbean

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I am also concerned about is the 60Hz machine and the 400Hz machine have 2 different part numbers in the TM and they look totally different?

funky winkerbean

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 186 6467 one that I see on the Onan website parts book shows a much smaller flywheel than the one I have. That number seems to look like the one that fits the 400Hz machine according to TM.

Guyfang

Staff member
Keep in mind, the -24P pictures, may not show EXACTLY the same part as you get.

What I am also concerned about is the 60Hz machine and the 400Hz machine have 2 different part numbers in the TM and they look totally different?
What do you mean by this statement? There is only a flywhell for the 60 hertz model, and one for the 400 hertz model. Both clearly marked. You can not mix them up.

Ray70

It's also interesting that the TM shows the flywheel and ring gear as 2 separate parts. So maybe there is a totally different ONAN PN for the complete assembly not shown in the TM??
I also see that GM lists the "Flywheel" as being 12" x 12" x 6" and 2 pounds?? It's more like 60lbs.
So maybe they are actually selling the #35 drive disc??
You really should call one of the suppliers and find out what is what.

Guyfang

Staff member
Thats the reason I asked about why he is worried about the two numbers. You see, look at the exploded picture. You see an Item # 41, and an Item #42. BUT what you do not see, is an Item #40. Now look at the description of parts. You see Item #41, GEAR, SPUR. There is also Item #42, it is a FLYWHEEL.

BUT, Item #40 is ALSO listed as a FLYWHEEL, Assy. That is a Flywheel WITH ring gear, (Spur)

I think that is what he means, but am guessing, since he hasn't answered yet.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may be better off to take it to a machine shop and have them weld it up then turn it back down to spec. I have a spare flywheel that I'm going to be using for a project and I can tell you they are crazy expensive when you can find one.

Guyfang

Staff member
You may be better off to take it to a machine shop and have them weld it up then turn it back down to spec. I have a spare flywheel that I'm going to be using for a project and I can tell you they are crazy expensive when you can find one.
Too many of these sets have gone south, and been used as parts machines. There HAS to be a flywheel someplace.

Guyfang

Staff member
186 6467

This part number is not listed in the TM's, so I can not tell if its 400 hertz or not.

The lister peter # for the flywheel is 750-6467, according to GMG. I found that number in my lister peter books, but as I do not know what bolt up is for the MEP-803A, I just can not tell for sure. I think Rays suggestion to call and ask for a picture is sounding ever better.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I might have a flywheel available, I don't know yet. I have an 803 here that may need a genhead replacement (haven't had time to diagnose it) and I have purchased a complete new genhead with flywheel for it.

fpchief

OP stated this gen has 35 hrs on it and I find that kinda disturbing. Mine is a 2011, post Sally it has almost 90 hrs on it now. I am going to give it a complete service...is there anyway I can see these bolts? Is Lister Petter known to have this happen alot? This is a problem I do not need if I can help it

Guyfang

Staff member
Chief. The hour meter is not always right. It is often changed, when a set gets a new engine, (but not always). Its often changed after reset, (but not always). It often goes bad. Do not put too much store in the hour meter is what I am saying.

The OP's problem was not the Flywheel, it was sheared off flywheel bolts. That will NOT happen unless the engine stops suddenly. I think there is more to be seen in this story. I saw, in the 8-9 years I was a contractor, 1 set that happened to. ONE.

If you want to check the bolts, you can. Got some spare time? It requires taking the set completely apart. If I bought a 802 or 803 I would certainly take it apart, down to the bits and pieces. But I have done a few times. I don't think you need to worry about something like this.

Most big gen sets, have a "Belt" that goes around the end bell of the engine, and the end of the main gen. You simple remove 1-2 bolts, take the "Belt" off, and can reach, (if your hands are small enough) into the space between the two peices of equipment and feel the bolts. If your like me, I had to use an off-set wrench, to get in and check them. This was one of my biggest complaints about these small sets. It requires a complete disassembly to get at those bolts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks