• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

803a load testing questions

Bmxenbrett

Any one know the specs on the original pump? The airtex 8135 is showing 5.5-9psi and 35gph. There $30 on rock auto.

zarathustra

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Specs on primary fuel pump facet 40193 10 GPH @ 30 psi. High pressure, low volume

Aux pump facet 40194 23 gph @ 5 - 6.5 psi . low pressure, high volume

My prediction on the 1074 specs is 35 gph @ 5.5 - 9 psi, but I doubt y'all will find that written anywhere.

Last edited:

zarathustra

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fitting ends....

Are the two ends of the pump equal length or is one longer than the other? The picture makes it appear like they are two different lengths, but pictures can be deceiving..

Are there adapters to adapt a smaller size fitting on the pump to a larger size fitting on the input and output lines to and from the pump?

Guyfang

Staff member
They are different lengths. That's why when you use the AUX pump, you have to bend the steel line, to get it to work. There are two different NSNs for the Airtex pump. One number is for the pump, one number is for a pump and kit, with the adapters. Go back to Post 19, and Daybreak has listed the NSNs for the components.

Last edited:

m32825

Ok, got some more data today...

Ran with an 80% load for about 15 minutes before it shut down with the same behavior as before: the rpms rapidly drop and the unit comes to a stop with the oil pressure light on. While it was running I monitored the temperature at the fitting for the top radiator hose, nice and steady around 180F, so it's not an overheat shutdown.

Installed my analog oil pressure guage and ran it with battle short on monitoring the oil pressure. As the unit warmed the pressure dropped but stabilized around 27psi and held there until it did the rpm drop/stop thing. The oil pressure is fine, and the fact that it behaves the same with battle short on tells me it's something other than what's being monitored.

I'm trying to figure out how to monitor fuel pressure now. Borrowed the fuel pressure test kit from the parts place, any suggestions on the most convenient way to hook it up? Thanks!

-- Carl

jamawieb

When it goes to shut down, does the fuel cutoff solenoid extract to shut the unit down or does it just start to die without the fuel cutoff solenoid moving. If the fuel cutoff solenoid is not shutting the unit down, then you have a fuel delivery problem. I once had a unit that would shut down for no reason, then I found a small piece of cloth floating around in the fuel tank. The cloth would get sucked onto the dip tube and shut the unit down because it blocked the fuel delivery.

m32825

When it goes to shut down, does the fuel cutoff solenoid extract to shut the unit down or does it just start to die without the fuel cutoff solenoid moving. If the fuel cutoff solenoid is not shutting the unit down, then you have a fuel delivery problem. I once had a unit that would shut down for no reason, then I found a small piece of cloth floating around in the fuel tank. The cloth would get sucked onto the dip tube and shut the unit down because it blocked the fuel delivery.
I'll check that, thanks for the suggestion!

-- Carl

Guyfang

Staff member
This is one of the most frustrating problems in the world to find. You never knew how long it would be before it shuts down. 5 min, an hour, 6 hours, a day. You just never know. And when a set shuts down at irregular times, this is one of the things to check. Very frustrating. It's a PITA, but if you get a set that looks well rode, and put up wet, removing the tank is not a bad idea. Complete cleaning. If its even questionable, new gaskets and seals.

csheath

So I'm reading through all this info on the primary fuel pump and I look in the technical manual I downloaded. It has paragraphs on the auxiliary pump and nary a thing on the primary pump or it's specs. Have some of you got manuals with actual specification requirements for the primary pump?

I found a 24V Spectra pump, SP8123 that resembles the Airtex on my 803 with the 90 degree top. It is 5.5 - 8.99 PSI at 21.6 - 30.9 GPH. The fittings on it are 1/4" so they would need to be bushed to 1/8".

I will echo Guyfangs suggestion to clean out the fuel system. I had a long search and destroy mission on my backhoe that kept shutting off. Cleaned the whole system out I thought but at the end of the day it had a small banjo fitting with a rust clog in it. Everything I cleaned was dirty and needed cleaning but until I got that little fitting clog out it would run 5 or 10 minutes then shut down. Reading and researching seemed to locate case after case where a fuel restriction would cause a diesel shut down.

Last edited:

jagrdawger

I saw a similar issue on my commanders hummer. It would always make it to the field then die. Sometimes it would start and run for a few minutes then die again. Losing my hummer to him (I was the battery XO) 3 field exercises in a row with no explanation I finally convinced them to pull the fuel tank. Wallah, it was full of paint flakes. It turned out the his Jerry can liner had decided to peel off. There was no strainer to catch debris so it all went into the tank every time it was refueled in the field. The flakes were to large to make is past the fuel pick-up so they were held in place by the suction. They would release once it died, but get pulled up again as soon as it restarted. After a ride on the tow truck they would be free and settle out allowing the truck to make it out to the firing point for the next exercise only to repeat the cycle again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks