• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

813 GL - Alert

KsM715

well thats great info and all but we have rules about this stuff and some could see this post as a way to keep the sale price down. and thats a big no no.

Its best to do your own preview or contact someone to preview for you rather than make a public brodcast.

Brian Thomas

So you would rather some one buy a bad truck then have the info to steer clear or buy knowing? I would rather buy knowing something was wrong than to find out when I picked it up. I am sure more feel that way. Rules or not.

kochevnik

This site is supposed to function to help each other out. It may have been against the 'rules' but it was still the right thing to do. Saved someone's ass undoubtedly.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There is no auction posting allowed prior to the close of an auction. I edited your post to remove the site information. Everyone needs to do their own inspection or have someone else do it so they can draw their own conclusions. How could you tell that the engine was locked up other than a clunk from the starter? Did you put a bar on the crank and try to turn it over? You have been around these big trucks for a while and should know that a clunk from an 809 series could be low batteries, bad control box, bad starter, solenoid wire intact, but power wire to starter missing, broken, etc... Did you investigate those as well?

I understand you made this post to be helpful and I appreciate your efforts, but please refrain from doing it again. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but just posting that a truck has a bad engine on SS could be enough to depress prices on GL by thousands of dollars. We could get in deep crap for doing that, especially if nothing is wrong but something minor. Thanks for understanding.

dm22630

One more thing MOST people here do not think about is....

Just because a truck was complete/running/PERFECT when you went to preview it, does not mean it will be that way when you go to pick it up. GL lots have little parts gremlins that steal thousands of dollars worth of parts from trucks all the time, and even if you have photo evidence to prove it "was there", you have no recourse. Once a truck is removed from their lot, you are screwed. I will never buy another truck from GL again.

2cents

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Daniel is correct. I have said this previously...I had $1200 worth of parts stolen off of a truck that I got from GL. That was not the first time that I've had parts stolen from a truck that I won. Daniel calls them "gremlins;" I call them THIEVES.

Coldfusion21

There is no auction posting allowed prior to the close of an auction. I edited your post to remove the site information. Everyone needs to do their own inspection or have someone else do it so they can draw their own conclusions. How could you tell that the engine was locked up other than a clunk from the starter? Did you put a bar on the crank and try to turn it over? You have been around these big trucks for a while and should know that a clunk from an 809 series could be low batteries, bad control box, bad starter, solenoid wire intact, but power wire to starter missing, broken, etc... Did you investigate those as well?

I understand you made this post to be helpful and I appreciate your efforts, but please refrain from doing it again. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but just posting that a truck has a bad engine on SS could be enough to depress prices on GL by thousands of dollars. We could get in deep crap for doing that, especially if nothing is wrong but something minor. Thanks for understanding.

I am in no way saying that anyone should break the rules, because I really enjoy this place and the people that make it great but it does seem like a real shame that this is such a big deal on this site. While he may not have done the best inspection, he may have saved a first time buyer from getting a dead truck. That person may have never bought from GL again after that. I will abide by the rules, and i suggest everyone else do the same but its a shame we can't look out for each other on a public forum. Keeping this info in private channels seems like a bigger deal than posting it on a public forum, IE someone previews a truck and then distributes a report on a lot of trucks to a group of members privately.

Either way, this is not a slight at you Chris, I think you do a great job with the forum and site and provide TONS and TONS of info to people who may not otherwise have access to it.

:driver:

ida34

What some have implied is true. If you were trying to buy a truck cheap a good way to clear out competition is to post a problem with the engine. I am not saying that is the case here I am just saying it is possible. There are people on the site that I would believe this information from but it would be done person to person. Rumblecat has never given me any reason not to trust him but I do not know him well enough to make a determination. Again this is not a rant against Rumblecat. I believe his post was meant to help. Never place too much trust in someone you do not know. It may end up being someone that lets you down either on purpose or just by accident. Again I am talking in generalizations not specifically about rumblecat.

datsunaholic

Well, it's his site and his rules. I've been yelled at for the same thing so now I just don't say anything, which is a shame. The other site (non-military) I frequent, we talk about auction items all the time, discussing what parts are there or not, and whether folks have gone out personally to look at stuff and give reports on their findings.

Could always start a new site soley to discuss upcoming and active auctions, and there's be nothing illegal about it as long as you avoided "fixing" the bidding. I've been to plenty of live auctions where various bidders stand around a vehicle and discuss what is and isn't wrong with them. Sometimes it drives the price down when someone points out that the transfer case is MIA; sometimes the price goes up when it's noted that it has a rare option. And some folks STILL bid uninformed and drive the price up anyway.

ARYankee

Well I know Rumplecat and he is honest and I would believe what he says. I do agree with you as well datsunaholic. I know I've helped a few members out by previewing items for them but I've done it by way of the underground.......

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, it's his site and his rules. I've been yelled at for the same thing so now I just don't say anything, which is a shame. The other site (non-military) I frequent, we talk about auction items all the time, discussing what parts are there or not, and whether folks have gone out personally to look at stuff and give reports on their findings.

Could always start a new site soley to discuss upcoming and active auctions, and there's be nothing illegal about it as long as you avoided "fixing" the bidding. I've been to plenty of live auctions where various bidders stand around a vehicle and discuss what is and isn't wrong with them. Sometimes it drives the price down when someone points out that the transfer case is MIA; sometimes the price goes up when it's noted that it has a rare option. And some folks STILL bid uninformed and drive the price up anyway.
Technically what you say happens on other sites and at live auctions is against the law. I know people do it all the time and it is commonplace at live auctions. The trouble with posting the info in a public forum is now you have a written record of the offence. I agree with Chris, it's best just not to go there.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I am sorry if I caused a fuss, I was planning on spending some of my Jeep bonanza money to buy it since it was only eighty miles away. But after I spent two hours in the pouring rain going over the truck and running batteries and finally trying to slave it off I thought it would be the right thing to do to let anyone who wanted the info to know. It doesn't look like it made much difference since someone spent over 3K to win it anyway. I will behave in the future, this is a great site and I enjoy being part of it.
James

PS: I did win a close to mint M101 with all fiberglass rails and bows($310), so the drive to inspect was far from a total loss.

Last edited:

KsM715

First off let me say I believe rumplcat had the best intentions when he posted this.

The mods cant possibly monitor (sp?) every thread and post. Ive seen plenty of these types of threads go by without any interaction from the mods. If someone sees it they can either raise their hand and say something or click the report post button and get it shut down. By speaking up it lets others, mainly the newer members who havent read and understood the rules, know that there is a rule and why. I believe Chris has this rule for one reason......... to cover his a##. If someone from "that" site were to pipe up and make a claim that those guys from SteelSoldiers are working to keep the price down on an auction it could mean big trouble for Chris and this site, and if something were to happen to the site then it would be my bussiness 'cause I sure would hate to find another site as informative as this one.

frodobaggins

Technically what you say happens on other sites and at live auctions is against the law. I know people do it all the time and it is commonplace at live auctions. The trouble with posting the info in a public forum is now you have a written record of the offence. I agree with Chris, it's best just not to go there.
Actually it's not. Truthful statements made in good faith about the condition of an item are not illegal by any means. False statements, or statements made to affect the price of an item at auction is. If the item is missing s headlight, and you say so, there is nothing anyone can do to you.

As far as the site rules, they are here to keep us out of the gray area. No chance of breaking the law when you can't discuss it. I like it, keeps it clean.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually it's not. Truthful statements made in good faith about the condition of an item are not illegal by any means. False statements, or statements made to affect the price of an item at auction is. If the item is missing s headlight, and you say so, there is nothing anyone can do to you.

As far as the site rules, they are here to keep us out of the gray area. No chance of breaking the law when you can't discuss it. I like it, keeps it clean.
When I think about it more I'd have to agree with you. I was thinking more along the lines of the truck in question. Does it have a bad engine or just the starter? This is where you enter the "gray area" you talk about. :wink:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks