• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

816 Jakes and Turbo !!!!

wcuhillbilly

:ditto:

only problem would be tearing down the wrecker long enough to put the 3406 in,,,,, unless I could figure out a way to power the crane assembly while the engine was out,,,,,, then the wrecker could do its own engine swap...........:whistle:

wcuhillbilly

well finally got a warm day up here in the frozen north, 45*F and I got the snow scraped off the 816 for a little diagnosis. Capped off the rear line on the head and the inj pump and fired it up. Still have to fix the flex point in the throttle shaft where the spring flew away but even with all the play in the throttle rod I was able to get it up to 2000RPM.. I guess my fear has come true. I have low rail pressure..... Lines are good, filter is good,,, so I guess its the pump...... What do I do to fix this??????
side note,,, wonder how long this engine will be around as I found evedence that its leaking oil out the exhaust ports by leaks under the rear 3 exhaust ports and the rear mate of the turbo to stack pipe....

red

With the injection pump it would need to be torn into. Not a home job to rebuild one of those. Is the oil by the turbo coming from further up the exhaust (those leaking valves) or the turbo itself?

wcuhillbilly

With the injection pump it would need to be torn into. Not a home job to rebuild one of those. Is the oil by the turbo coming from further up the exhaust (those leaking valves) or the turbo itself?
oil is coming from upstream,, Turbo is brand new and the amount of leakage that is seeping through the manifold tells me its washing the turbo.
I really hate cobbling things together outside in the snow with the imaginary justification of coming back to fix them right come spring.... we all know that never happens.....

wcuhillbilly

Pull the valve covers and check the guide seals.
Yes, I could,, but with the jakes thats a 3/4 of a day deal,,,, mite as well adjust the valves too while Im in there,,,, hhhmmm better put it off till spring.
in all seriousness I do have my plate full right now besides the weather. remodeling a 600sq ft room adding a full bath and the foreman (wife) says it has to be online by May...... 500sq ft of oak tounge/groove, 200sq ft of 18x18 tile, paint, plumbing, electrical. (this is actually the new wing of the Bed and Breakfast, so its a $ making deal not just for our enjoyment. Thus my side business gets put on hold again while I perform the manual labor for hers.....

dieslesaint

I will look at my cummins books when i get to work on monday, I think I have a PT pump rebuild book and parts list in my cummins pile.

Could you please post all of the info on your engine, and from the donor engine? Also what is your RPM range your looking for?

wcuhillbilly

I will look at my cummins books when i get to work on monday, I think I have a PT pump rebuild book and parts list in my cummins pile.

Could you please post all of the info on your engine, and from the donor engine? Also what is your RPM range your looking for?
I will try and round up the CPL's and eng serial #s for both engines over the weekend,,, they may actually be in this thread near the top.... Basically the engine in the 816 is a depot NHC 250 from 1988. was naturally aspirated and is now jaked and turbo'd by parts robbed from the donor (scrap locked up NTC 350 small cam from 1977)

The RPM issue became a problem after the turbo when I installed the #17 idle plunger (fuel Button) from the original #32 that was in the 250. I worked with the shims and 17 button from the NTC 350 pump (no the pump is not usable) to install them in the PT on the 250.. I then dual fuel lined the 250 and the RPM issue became apparent. I have since returned to a single fuel line and the RPMs have come back up to around 2100 RPM. The fuel screw in the throttle shaft has been adjusted slightly, however Soldier C years ago put the monkey on it. ( plug was already gone). Pyro and temps are good... but I believe the PT pump needs rebuild and the fuel system needs freshened up before this years use. I am also looking for a 10spd Eaton to swap in to ease the 1200 RPM drop between gears.

wcuhillbilly

Max rpm no load? Max rpm 4 gear loaded? What is your fuel pressure pre pt pump
RPM is the same, tach out at around 2100 loaded or unloaded. 4th gear loaded as in 60K lbs total with the trailer/dozer is still 2100. I havent been able to pull the trailer as its a solid ice field up here right now.
Fuel pressure pre PT is not measurable as I have no way to T into it.. Filter is good but its the stock setup with JIC pushlock and parker hose(previous owner) I will be swapping over to cannister filter and threaded AN line come spring.

The only real thing the turbo did for me in this case is picked up the acceloration a little faster and allowed me to hold a hill a few hundred yards longer. Wish I had the time and the money to yank the 250 and build it to the gills..

wcuhillbilly

Ok,, found the specs for the locked up donor 350 small cam, Date Jan 1977, Eng #10616869 CPL 0160 Mod, NTC350
Still looking in my notes for the NHC 250,,, will post it when I find it.

wcuhillbilly

Almost all military nhc250's are cpl26. Base model 240 HP motor. Here is some good info on pump pressure http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?122038-Increasing-PT-pressure
Yes, Ive read that link several times before, I know how to test it, I just have no ambition to wade through the snow to the truck to slip and fall off the truck(for the 3rd or 4th time, last time ended in a broken hand) and freeze while attempting to get it cranked only to work on it in the lower feild. I have no shop, and with more snow and sub freeze temps this is just a project that gets attention on really warm days untill spring temps make it more tolorable to endure and kick diagnosis and remedy into high gear.. My wife's B&B remodel is on the top priority and that is a project that is indoors warm and dry for now, Let alone showing instant $$$ when completed.
I know my pump needs rebuilt and Dieselsaint was kind enough to ask for the CPLs/info to do a little research as to whether I could rebuild the pump myself or if an actual shop was needed.
either way, I dont mean to offend, thanks for any info

Jakelc15

I didn't know what info you were trying to find from the cpl. There is also a fuel pump code. I don't have that book though. Best to send the pump out and have it set on a bench. Although you may be able to get away with just replacing the gear pump and leave the governor end alone.

wcuhillbilly

OK no luck so far at work. My only nhc book is for a 855. Still looking though, some how my pump book has grown a set of legs....
NHC250 and NTC 350^ are 855....... small cam or big cam they all used a variation of the PT pump, till the AFC PT pump came in the 70s (turbo engines) but they are all 855cu untill the transition to early N14

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks