• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

816 operator TM / FM

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Done the search through TM's and FM's - couldn't find specific instructions for use of 816. Could someone point me in the right place in this forum - I will take necessary abuce squarely on the chest... This is probably like the "it's on the bottom' shelf sir" in the grocery store since I'm 6'4"!!!:neutral:

NB. I have 'W' endorcement (Tow truck) on licence and CDL A (permit) so I know how to use the wrecker. HOWEVER my 13 year old "soldier B" son would be 'chuffed as nuts' if I highlited his responcibilities in the appropriate manual. Would like a '70's one for the 816 (I do have soldier A and soldier B TM/FM for M984 E1).

As I said - have been through recovery TM's - rigging and vehicle recovery also vehicle driver FM and can't find what I need.

Thanks.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Ron - I had read 2-20 in the TM but I guess I was looking for more - as described in the M984E1 TM - with references to Soldier A and Soldier B.
Doesn't detail any alternative proceedures or equipment for all the different vehicles the 816 is expected to tow. The 984 manual goes into great length on all relative vehicles for each situation : towing flat, front suspended, rear suspended

Thread end.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you looking for the FM 20-22 Vehicle Recovery Operations? Not specific to the 816 but very usefull.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea Warthog - I had seen that one, lots of good technical stuff, though I was actually looking for the 816 equivalent version of the current manual (984's) but it didn't actually exist. It appears that the towbar for the 816 was a 'see all - do all' with the exception of a couple of different ends for towing OR lift-towing, so there wasn't a whole load of different attatchments for different vehicles/bumpers. When the HEMTT 'stinger' came along - in effect turning the towbar around, the whiffle tree and the pintle end of the tow bar became one. Now, the configuration of the bumpers and all the different types of anti IED stuff etc., see MRAP, Buffalo and so on, mean that the differences are important since the front or rear axle is not used - it may be chained up for safety, but the bumper or lift points is the means of lift and tow. All this makes it a lot easier for my son to learn anyway :)

Regards and thanks.

Thread could re-open for discussion on merits of HEMTT 'stinger' vs 816/936 towbar and lift setup.....

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
More questions to wrecker folk:

i/ Orange "lolly pop" inboard of LH turn indicator on front fender - was the use of that replaced with rotating beacon - mounted from rear left gun ring support socket? If not I'll check for bad bulb!!!
ii/ E-3 Stowage locations... items 6, 7, 8 and 13 (Compartments 3A, 3B, 5 and 7) appear to be 'under' the deck since they are dotted as per 1 'Tank Compartment' and 2 'Glove box' and item 14 is "left deck". Also towbar and whiffel tree are stowed 'in' compartment 4 - item 9 which should be "right deck" not small compartment that is at the right rear under the deck...???

I do appreciate that things change and my truck may have been built before TM changes were written, but that doesnt explain how certain square pegs want to be fit into round holes whilst still inservice. ie., I have Power divider 6 but not Transfer power takeoff control lever (M816) 7 ... 2-6 Change 1 (TA 094221) from TM-' 260-10 from this forum.

Csm Davis

i/ Orange "lolly pop" inboard of LH turn indicator on front fender - was the use of that replaced with rotating beacon - mounted from rear left gun ring support socket? If not I'll check for bad bulb!!!
ii/ E-3 Stowage locations... items 6, 7, 8 and 13 (Compartments 3A, 3B, 5 and 7) appear to be 'under' the deck since they are dotted as per 1 'Tank Compartment' and 2 'Glove box' and item 14 is "left deck". Also towbar and whiffel tree are stowed 'in' compartment 4 - item 9 which should be "right deck" not small compartment that is at the right rear under the deck...???

I do appreciate that things change and my truck may have been built before TM changes were written, but that doesnt explain how certain square pegs want to be fit into round holes whilst still inservice. ie., I have Power divider 6 but not Transfer power takeoff control lever (M816) 7 ... 2-6 Change 1 (TA 094221) from TM-' 260-10 from this forum.
Same place but number 12 aux air valve, does anyone have this in their wrecker if so post a pic and I also would like to know about the above questions.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

NO, the warning light on the left is OE equip, it is supposed to flash with it's own flasher, the warning lights (beacons) mount behind the cab just in side the corners. the beacons are a add on , not BII nor OE

Standard military operation

Number 7 - transfer power takeoff control lever is for the m815 and the m819, NOT the m816

Last edited:

Csm Davis

Ok so where's the switch and flasher for the front light? And the TM is wrong about the lever? Say it ain't so! :twisted: I have three 816's here and none of the front flashing lights work and none have a switched airline in the cab.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Ok so where's the switch and flasher for the front light? And the TM is wrong about the lever? Say it ain't so! :twisted: I have three 816's here and none of the front flashing lights work and none have a switched airline in the cab.
About 3" to the right of the master on/off, tag says WARNING LIGHT, flasher is on the engine side of the firewall somewhere

The 819 has the extra air shutoff valve on the cab side of the firewall right where the tm shows it., looks to be about 3/8 fitting size if I take the cap off

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Thanks I found the valve because you said it was on the firewall. That switches on the rotator lights on my one 816 will have to check on other two to see.[/QUOTE]

I am guessing that when the rotator lights were installed, thay were wired to the OE warning light switch and just abandoned the OE warning light instead of installing the switch that came with the beacon light kit.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NO, the warning light on the left is OE equip, it is supposed to flash with it's own flasher,

So where is the seperate flasher and switch for the OE 'lollypop'? I do not have another switch.

No answers / explanation on lockers yet?

Havent even looked for an aux airline yet!

Oh yea - no trailer brake lever - guess that's for the 818 etc.

Thanks in advance.

Csm Davis

Yeah all three 816's here are wired that way but in my opinion more is better when it comes to warning lights where's that flasher at so I can wire up all of them one truck has two lights on the front:)

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
About 3" to the right of the master on/off, tag says WARNING LIGHT, flasher is on the engine side of the firewall somewhere

The 819 has the extra air shutoff valve on the cab side of the firewall right where the tm shows it., looks to be about 3/8 fitting size if I take the cap off
Thanks I found the valve because you said it was on the firewall. That switches on the rotator lights on my one 816 will have to check on other two to see.[/QUOTE]

I am guessing that when the rotator lights were installed, thay were wired to the OE warning light switch and just abandoned the OE warning light instead of installing the switch that came with the beacon light kit.
So where is the seperate flasher and switch for the OE 'lollypop'? I do not have another switch.

No answers / explanation on lockers yet?

Havent even looked for an aux airline yet!

Oh yea - no trailer brake lever - guess that's for the 818 etc.

Thanks in advance.
Also the m815 and the m819

Last edited:

Csm Davis

Thinking of adding the trailer brake lever to my wreckers and using it to control the rear gladhand. Any bad side to this, would come in handy for trailers or trucks that want to do their own thing not follow the wrecker.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Thinking of adding the trailer brake lever to my wreckers and using it to control the rear gladhand. Any bad side to this, would come in handy for trailers or trucks that want to do their own thing not follow the wrecker.
Swiss's m62 has the trailer brake controller, looks stock, do not see a down side, especially if the recovered vehicle is a combination (truck and trailer)

raeme

Jeff not being nasty,but a normal truck yes. But these things can kill. It's good to see the passion we all have with these vehicles ,but to try and use them without knowing how to. I apolligise if I touched a nerve. IF any body wants to know how to use the formula for safe working loads for winch cables. Let me know, or someone who does. I have all the recovery formulas here if you need them. Again I am sorry,it's just Iv'e seen some bad things.
Bye the way, all Australian trucks 2 ton and up are fitted with a seperate trailler hand piece.
raeme.:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks