• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

820's at Fort Riley---- SO CHEAP

91W350

Would it have not made more sense to just remove the doors and put them on another truck? Rather then cut up a truck.
I was wanting to build a M818 length chassis. I do not have anything larger than a CUCV now. I was hoping to pick up three of these and probably should have. The scraps would have paid for my truck. If I had 2 or 3 820s, might as well start with the cab that is straight, rust free and has the artwork I wanted to save on the doors. I thought about trying to restore one, but they all had some kind of box damage that I thought was the main reason they had been parked to start with. All the injection pumps were clean, the brakes probably were dry on all of them as well. I am betting several of those had very few hard miles.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
From what I could find out most of those trucks were sent to reset over 5 years ago, so have been sitting for a long time. Like others have said the peeling paint made them look rough and several had major drive line,engine, body things wrong that did not show up in the GL pictures. I had one picked out till I realized the tranny had gone south.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the band really needed the lift, they have a nice big OTH tractor and box trailer but no dock, they were loading everything by hand! Nice right off too.

dmetalmiki

YOU MUST be kiddin

If I had known those trucks were avaliable at sale ( and at a price which is SERIOUSLY! a JOKE!)I would have bought at least 4! and shiped them here to the U.K. absalutely fabululous! what a beutifull camper and dipsplay vehicle they (any ONE of them would make!) ((scuse while I go to Puke up in dissapointment!))...WOW that REALLY teks the P.... I am MORE than suprised each one of them was not snapped up quiker than quicksilver!.....just HOW do I find HOW to find bid and ship that type (exactly) truck to the U.K.?..I just CAN NOT) believe...)).....

91W350

I seriously thought about buying one to run around to local shows and stuff with, but by the time I fixed whatever was wrong with the boxes and then the regular issues of a truck that had set for an extended period, I would have been deeper into it than something I could use regularly. I do not know how much sandblasting time and paint it would take, but you would be a while!

To me they had much more potential as parts trucks and or non-restoration projects. Not that I would not like to see one well done and preserved, I would like to see that. Like the GSA Auction at Manhattan a few years ago, I was there, told myself I should be buying some of these trucks, but had other places I wanted my money to go. It just does not seem very practical to expect I would do much with a truck that large. It was definitely worth the 100 bucks or so I spent running back and forth to see them. Glen

Sirblissfull

If I had not already bought 2 of them last month I would have been very interested in buying a couple. However as several people pointed out those looked really rough and I knew they had been parked for a long time. Many of those boxes are nothing more then scrap and are the main reason I would want them.

I am very happy with my two machines one is immaculate and the other is just very very nice.

91W350

It would have been fairly easy to combine two trucks and get a straight one. I do not remember looking at a single box that did not have some kind of issue. Southeast of where these were sitting must be 300 of their replacement trucks. It was pretty overwhelming to look down those long rows of vans and wonder what their future might hold. Hopefully we will not need them and in 20 years, they can be sold as surplus too. Glen