• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

84 m1009 cucv chevy blazer build-up

2INSANE

Took a trip up North Meadow. The new Derale Oil Cooler blew out on me… took 10 quarts of oil to get her back home. Barely made it back. If it was not for the oil temp gauge, I would have lost another motor. Anyhow, it was a fun trip!

Attachments

2INSANE

Nice trip! Where was the failure in the cooler? Was there a fitting failure or internal to it?
The hoses and fittings are dry. It is for sure internal. Not sure what happened but there is no way a rock could have hit it. It could have been from the body flexing when on the rocks or just a poor design of the cooler. I have a new one on the way.

It was interesting… because I put the oil temp gauge on the oil pan, when the oil level went below the gauge sensor, the oil temperature quickly dropped from 180-120. The oil pressure was still good but I knew I had to add oil once the temp gauge got cold. Glad I put an oil temp gauge on!

2INSANE

Got the new soft topper on today. Wonder how many years this one will last…

If anyone wants my old one, the windows could be fixed with vinyl sheet and some sewing. Comes with new hardware. Let me know. Free just pay shipping.

Attachments

2INSANE

Today I wire wheeled a lot of rust on the body and touched up all the paint. Also got the truck tailgate painted as well. Got the paint from Rapcoparts.com It looks a lot better.

Attachments

2INSANE

Today I got my toenail removed. The Dr said take it easy for a week. First thing I did when I got home was remove the downpipe and replace the bad cold advance idle switch.

Then removed the Dinosaur GM1 turbo with a kink in it and started the HX35W swap. Almost done. Just gotta redue a couple of the glow plug wires to get them further away from the heat, cut the turbo housing and hook up the intake. Got dark so I’ll finish it tomorrow.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Today I got my toenail removed. The Dr said take it easy for a week. First thing I did when I got home was remove the downpipe and replace the bad cold advance idle switch.

Then removed the Dinosaur GM1 turbo with a kink in it and started the HX35W swap. Almost done. Just gotta redue a couple of the glow plug wires to get them further away from the heat, cut the turbo housing and hook up the intake. Got dark so I’ll finish it tomorrow.
Yeoooow! Dang that looks like it hurts... Been there. Done that and it isn't any fun.

As far as the truck and turbo is concerned, it looks good!
Guessing that was a nice way to keep your mind off your sore toe.

2INSANE

Yeoooow! Dang that looks like it hurts... Been there. Done that and it isn't any fun.

As far as the truck and turbo is concerned, it looks good!
Guessing that was a nice way to keep your mind off your sore toe.
This was the second time they removed the same toenail. The first time was more painful for sure. It was not suppose to grow back, but it did… This second visit was free:) Too much stuff to do on the days off to let a toenail limit me.

I hope the turbo gives lower egts and more efficiency with boost. Keeping boost 15 psi and lower is the goal.

2INSANE

The correct oil feed adapter size for the
HX35W is:

M12x1.5 Metric Male x 1/4" NPTF Female

This one I ordered has a metal compression washer instead of a rubber O-Ring to help seal.

Attachments

2INSANE

I did some experimenting today after work. I wanted to see if I could get faster turbo spools at lower RPM’s by changing the made in China Hx35w compressor wheel and housing with the made in USA compressor wheel and housing.

Measuring the compressor wheels…

Made in USA
Inducer=53.05mm
Exducer=76.47mm
7 Blade

Made in China
Inducer=52.03mm
Exducer=82.49mm
8 Blade

The made in USA wheel and housing swapped right in with a perfect fit!

WOW! What a huge huge difference! It spools much faster, especially at lower rpm’s, the jet engine noise is about twice as loud and egts are about 75 degrees lower making it 175 degrees lower in total compared to the old GM1.

The USA wheel does have a small nick in it. I will replace it with a new one that has the same specs to keep the balance correct. I also plan on turning up the fuel 1/8th of a turn now that the egts are lower.

The elevation I am at plays a big roll in the size of compressor wheel.

Attachments

2INSANE

Another trip to the Tobacco Root Mountains for the books! 4 people, 4 dogs and gear. Passenger and cargo space, wheelbase is why the M1009 is IMO the best budget wheeler one could get.

Attachments

4sdair

Interested in the outcome of your china hx35 turbo swap. I have a m1009 (6.2) with a gm4 turbo. The turbo is starting to leak around the seals and I'm thinking about a hx35w swap. Lower egt and quicker spool sounds good to me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks