• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

84 m1009 cucv chevy blazer build-up

2INSANE

37/12.5/r16.5 New MTRs arrived today. My 10” wide 16.5 rims were too wide and every once and awhile a bead would come off with low tire pressure. So I plan on finding some OEM 16.5 rims for this set. This set will be my main off road set.

Attachments

2INSANE

Quick update!

The remote oil cooler arrived!

Something I have always wanted for over 10 years and I am finally getting it! Trailworthyfab beadlocks with pvc inserts! Yep! They are on the way! The Antifreeze Green adds 5hp if yal did not know!

My first wife would have not approved on any of my spending habits over the last year. Luckily I got divorced and the new wife is all for the bad ass mods!

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Quick update!

The remote oil cooler arrived!

Something I have always wanted for over 10 years and I am finally getting it! Trailworthyfab beadlocks with pvc inserts! Yep! They are on the way! The Antifreeze Green adds 5hp if yal did not know!

My first wife would have not approved on any of my spending habits over the last year. Luckily I got divorced and the new wife is all for the bad ass mods!
Good for you! Happy to have new toys on the way to you soon.
Congratulations on the wonderful woman too!

2INSANE

Remote oil cooler installed in the rear underneath. It clicks on at 180 degrees now. Lowered the oil to 220 degrees when pulling 6% grade.

Also got the Trailworthyfab beadlocks on the blazer. At 55mph it vibrates a little, even with 10oz of dynabeads in each tire. I will add more dynabeads in the near future and get alignment done.

Attachments

2INSANE

Ok gentlemen, I got the swap in progress!

2INSANE

I got my poor mans winter front grill cover on today. Gives about 15-20 degrees of more heat

Also used one of those tower drill bits and drilled a hole into the 6.5 intake rubber elbow to install the air filter indicator.

While I had the air filter box off, I checked the filter and found a rock and some bugs went into the snorkel and got trapped in the filter. So to prevent this from happening again, I just ordered a cheap $15 pre filter.

Since it is getting cold here in Montana, -29 f, I installed the dual battery warmer blankets that I had before the motor swap. It really makes a huge difference with cold cranking amps not being reduced from the cold. Using a 3 prong heavy duty extention cord, I can have both battery warmers and freeze plug block heater working at the same time.

Also wired up the 6.5 oil pump gear drive with tach sensor to the tachometer. Works perfectly! I grounded the ground to the back of the firewall utilizing the already existing bolt holes where the glow plug resisters were and the white wire went straight to the tachometer wire. Very simple.

Attachments

2INSANE

How do you keep warm in that truck during those Montana winters?? A bit chilly up there, yes?
When it gets super cold, -10 threw -30 f, I remove the 4x 13mm nuts that hold the fan on and take the fan off. Doing this helps. Just gotta keep your eyes constantly on the temp gauge. I also wear a -30f jump suit with boots as seen in the pic.

Attachments

ssdvc

That suit, along with a really good pair of electric socks would keep anyone nice and toasty in those frigid temps !! -10 to -30........BBBRRRRRRR !

2INSANE

That suit, along with a really good pair of electric socks would keep anyone nice and toasty in those frigid temps !! -10 to -30........BBBRRRRRRR !
Heck yeah! I have not heard about electric socks. They work good? I usually just wear a nylon socks under a pair of wool socks and that usually keeps the feet warm and dry.

ssdvc

Yeah, some of the motorcycle shops sell higher end electric clothing, including jackets, gloves, sock, etc. Bought my wife an electric vest (little 7.2v battery) and it will keep her very toasty in sub-zero temps for about 4 hours on high. She loves it !

2INSANE

Here are the stats from this weekends 760 mile round trip.

50mph @ 1500rpm

55mph @1700 rpm

60mph @1800 rpm

65mph @1900 rpm

70mph @2100 rpm

75mph @2250 rpm

80mph @2350 rpm

85mph @2500 rpm

(Not towing hauling ass 70-80mph average range 650-900 degrees 9 psi boost)

First fill up 15 gal 242 miles 15.1287 mpg

(Towing pop up camper hauling ass 70-80mph average range 650-900 degrees 9 psi boost)

Second Fill up 16 gal 176 miles 10.87 mpg

(Towing pop up camper 40-65 mph average mountainous egg range 650-900 degrees 6-9 psi boost)

Third Fill up 14 gallons 206 miles 14.71 mpg

Also when I got 1/2 way to my destination, I checked the motor and found that the ARB snorkel is restricting air flow to the motor. I disconnected it and the added air gave more power, lower egts and better MPG on the mountainous terrain.

Basically, the ARB snorkel does not work for our turboed diesels.

SomeNewGuy

So I've had my 1009 for about... 5 months? Havent played with the fuel or timing or anything, fuel guage does not work so I fill it up every time I am on my way home from work.

Goin about 85 miles, I keep putting in only 3-3.5 gallons per fill.... meaning 24-28 mpg...
With such drastic differences in mpg between us... I can't help but think something may be wrong on my end? I fill up till the breather is coughing up diesel...

Edit: Or is the turbo what the big difference is?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks