• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

84 M1009 overcharging rear battery and will not idle

sawgunner1

Hey guys!

As a noob, I am still working my way through the site. Lots of info but, I can't find the answer to these particular problems.

The back story is I purchased this M1009 on Friday June 19 from a guy who has not driven it in two years. He only put around 500 miles on it in the three years he owned it. He says the rear battery would over charge and the front battery would lose charge quickly. Since day one with him, the rear battery would over charge within minutes and leak acid all over the battery tray and inner fender well. Both are nearly rotted away. As he was driving it to my house, the engine refused to give power...it would roughly idle but, would not run while in gear. I got it started at my house but, when I pressed the gas it was as if nothing was happening. Also, at idle quite a bit of smoke comes out of the tail pipes, most of it BLUE.

I still bought the thing thinking you guys could get it back on the road. There are no leaks, the oil level is good, belts good, two new 850 cca batteries and everything else works.

Any suggestions?

Phil

stampy

I would start by seeing what voltage the batteries are charging at when the engine is running if its above 28 v then this is part of your problem. Blue smoke sounds like rings...this could also be part of the lack of power. When you floor it does it sound like it's producing power but not give you power at the wheels if so change your fuel filter. I would look for good wiring diagrams for your batteries chances are someone has hooked up a lead wrong and you may be getting 24v to one battery:wink:

sawgunner1

The blue smoke seems to lessen as the engine warms up. I was wondering how old this 3/4 tank of fuel is. Also, it doesn't look as if the fuel filter has been replaced in some time...ditto the oil filter and air filter. Tomorrow I'll look into those simple things.

How do I test the old fuel to see if it is still good? Also, any ideas on a wiring diagram? Dang, I just remembered, when reving the engine the volt meter pegs out. When idling it is normal.

BTW

The Blazer ran OK for about 15 miles before the loss of power and the engine is making no strange noises.

Phil

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As for the fuel problems...

Ditto on the fuel filter. Change that out ASAP... There is no easy way to drain the fuel tank in the CUCV.. I'd suggest putting some Diesel Kleen or the like in there, and fill it up with fresh diesel. This will atleast dilute the old stuff. Then run it.. See if anything changes. Get an extra filter or 2 so as the tank starts to purge out the junk thats in there, you can change filters. Might take a while, but it will get there.. A buddy of mine had alot of crap ih his tank from his CUCV sitting for a few years prior to him getting it, he did the filter change/fill with new fuel/add Diesel Kleen/and run it thing, and it has not a had a problem since..

stampy

OK you have told me something! The filter is FUBAR. Get a new one. Or better than that get a spin on kit that you can prefill the filter, as may here have done. When you pull the filter if you plug all the holes except the intake and outlet blow through the outlet and put the inlet over a jar or glass chances are you have some slime or rust in the fuel and the agitation from driving has caused it to plug the filter.

stampy

My volt meter is between the yellow and green lines almost exclusively. Check it with a real ranging volt meter so you can read actual volts ie set for 200v DC and see what it reads I think you either have a bad battery/ bad cell or you have a wiring problem. You can also take the batteries out and charge them on a charger and take them to Autozone for testing.

sawgunner1

As you might have guessed PM was not high on the ex owners list. He did install a new radiator and, supposedly new glow plugs.

Since I have only had my "new" cucv two days I will have a long haul getting it into running shape. Tomorrow I will find a new fuel filter or two and some fuel treatment.

The spin on filter sounds like an excellent idea. Where would I pick up a kit?

BTW

I will post some pictures of the Blazer tomorrow.

Phil

stampy

I got mine at Walmart in the boating section but you can get them at Napa and Other stores sell then too. If you get the Walmart kit you also need to buy 2 fittings at the hardware store.:-D Your troubles may be resolved quickly if it's just a bad battery and plugged fuel filter.

sawgunner1

The old owner bought both of the batteries on Friday so they are both brand new (I was with him). They are from Chicom-mart and have 1000 cranking amps and 850 cold cranking amps.

I'll go tomorrow and get the parts.

It really surprised me when the volt meter pegged. I have never seen that!

Phil

Last edited:

stampy

I ran some centrifuged WVO in mine and all the crap came out of the tank and ended up in my 2 new filters. Since I have changed to a spin on I have no problems...but I am sure my tank is real clean now.:-D

sawgunner1

I've wondered about biodiesel. What kind of ratio should I use for 3/4 of a tank?

Also, I will be spending a LOT of time on the search area. Right now, I'm just trying to get the thing running so I can get it in the garage (it's out in the street right now). If it doesn't run tomorrow I'll tow it with the truck!

stampy

I would search for charging system and change the filter tomorrow with the spin on it will take less than an hour you may fix it quick enough that you don't have to tow it with the truck. my 2cents I have run straight unwashed Bio in mine but if the pH is wrong then you can hve problems but it will run on straight biodiesel or an 80/20 blend of filtered WVO and diesel

Last edited:

sawgunner1

Thanks Stampy and emmado22.

I'll be getting up early in the morning so, I'm hitting the rack. Wal Mart first thing, then the charging system. I'll let you know what happened and get those pictures!

Phil

Crash_AF

I would bet that you have algae growing in your tank and that's what plugged up your filter. 15 minutes driving with the movement of the vehicle stirred up the tank enough to reach the pickup.

On the batteries, it sounds like the voltage regulator in the Gen2 alternator is dead. I would take it and have it tested. The regulator is replaceable if that's all that's wrong with it.

Check the front battery while the engine is idling, if it's not 13 or 14V then take it to be tested too. Both alternators are interchangeable, but don't buy just any replacement alternator. Take them to a good automotive electric shop that rebuilds starters and alternators and tell them that it is a special 'isolated ground' alternator. You could also buy new ones from OD Iron and then have yours rebuilt for spares, that would be the way to go if you've got the change for the new ones.

Later,
Joe

stump

You can fill the spin on filter with trans fluid it will clean the injection pump and the injectors. I would also put a quart in the fuel tank it realy cleans everything.

stump

The charging system uses 2 12 volt batteries to make 24 volts. It also uses 2 alternators 1 on the drivers side makes 12 volts and sends it to the other alternator to make 24 volts then the charge is fed to the battery on the pasenger side. the battery on the drivers side may not have a good conection causing all of the voltage to feed one battery and causing the over charging on the pasenger side and no charge on the drivers side.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks