• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

steelypip

You've run up against a common problem with the LED replacements. The original lights were designed around a filament that emits light at a wide variety of angles. The Fresnel lens is optimized to gather the light and point it all (more or less) straight out the back of the unit. LEDs, by comparison, emit light in a very narrow range of angles. So all that light gathering capability of the lens is wasted. The ones you used, in particular, have all the LEDs oriented the same direction in a single plane - all the light is emitted in a 45 degree cone coaxial to the bulb socket. These might work pretty well without the lens on the back of the lamp, but with the lens on, you're definitely not getting all the light through the lens in a useful way.

So you either need to use LEDs with a variety of different mounting angles, or you need lenses without the Fresnel prisms on the back. Or you can just go with the incandescent bulbs the thing was designed around. Consider an upgrade to halogen bulbs.

markmontana

I tried the exact same LEDs in my 915. Same results. Changed to better LEDs that have flat LEDs all over the bulb. Way better and nice and bright. Search ebay for 1157 LED and you'll see the style.

steelypip

As Derrickl112 pointed out, there's still a basic problem with the 'flat LED' style - there's no reflector mounted in the housing to point all the light from the LEDs mounted longitudinally at the lens. I'd probably mask the socket then spray the inside of the housing with white or silver paint before trying any LED in those housings.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried using different leds in the housing and was not happy with the results. I did not paint the inside of the buckets.

Once I tried GROTE led assembles, it was hands down as those led taillights are definitely much better visibility then the stock housings. I also like the redundancy of multiple leds. Once a bulb goes out in the standard fixture, you have no more visibility. With the LEDs it would be unusual to lose them all at one time. I am sure the truck lite and swiss leds are also much better visibility than stock.

You can find them cheap and reuse a gutted housing or get the led buckets. No fitment issues like on the front leds with composite or metal housings.

steelypip

I tried using different leds in the housing and was not happy with the results. I did not paint the inside of the buckets.

Once I tried GROTE led assembles, it was hands down as those led taillights are definitely much better visibility then the stock housings. I also like the redundancy of multiple leds. Once a bulb goes out in the standard fixture, you have no more visibility. With the LEDs it would be unusual to lose them all at one time. I am sure the truck lite and swiss leds are also much better visibility than stock.

You can find them cheap and reuse a gutted housing or get the led buckets. No fitment issues like on the front leds with composite or metal housings.
That'd be the way I'd go unless there was some need to retain original appearance. The optics are much better and the LEDs are wired through their own dropping resistors so a partial failure doesn't take out the whole light.

And for those of you who came in late: there are also significant safety advantages to LED taillights providing they're as bright as the incandescents they replaced - the faster 'turn on' time increases the likelihood and speed of somebody behind you noticing the brake or turn signal. Another advantage for a trailer is that they draw almost no power, so the tow vehicle's wiring doesn't even notice them.

BradBMI

Hey anyone know what the NSN is for an A/c kit for the M985. I saw it posted on a thread - not sure if you guys were on it. Thanks

dburt

I got to class late- so don't know if you filled the 3 feet of empty space at the front of the trailer or not. But maby a space to put a spare tire or two? A tool box for chains, binders, etc? Fab up your own mini-crane and use a 12V winch for the motive power? I like all the build so far, but wondering what you have done since the last post back in 6 of '13?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks