• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

9.00 x 20 snow tread

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very cool. I thought you were going to say, "If you want to make your NDCCs really gnarly, switch to a better tire.":-D By the way, there is a difference between an NDT and an NDCC. The tires found on our deuces and many M809 series trucks (and a few M939 series trucks) are NDCCs as in Non-Directional Cross Country tires. NDT stand for Non-directional Tire and those tires went out around the Korean War, although they were used to a lesser degree after that point (and an even lesser extent as the years went on). I realize it is a small point, but it is correct. We, for the most part, do not have NDTs on our trucks. I say for the most part because I bought an M129A2C a few years ago with nothing but NDTs and I also got a 1983 M35A2C with one NDT on it.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should have also explained how to quickly tell the difference between an NDT and an NDCC. The NDT has squared off shoulders while the NDCC has rounded shoulders. It is clear if you have seen both, especially next to each other

CanadaDeuce

booger

Thats really neat sure makes the tires look different, are the cutters like robr said ?

would like to see a pic of the tires on the vehicle ?, Im sure others would too :-D

KsM715

That depends on how you look at it. If you see it as a chore then yes thats a lot of time. If you see it as a project (and some guys love little projects) then it would be well worth it.

saddamsnightmare

January 16th, 2010..

Gents:

I can testify that the tread grooving pattern that Booger has selected above just about perfectly duplicates the original NDT's (yes, NDT's) that the Swiss Army had applied to my 1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog S404.114, and there was and is nothing to compare to the handling and traction the original tires gave me on wet pavements and in mud (not enough snow in this part of Texas to count). The Unimog would handle better then most civillian trucks on wet pavement, even against more aggressively grooved tires, and she would reach a higher top speed then she does now with the German Army Uniroyals which have more of a block tread pattern...
That grooving pattern will make your NDCC's into a different beast, but I doubt if anything will do much for the mileage on NDCC's on road use (total mileage over life of tires). It impresses me how little tire surface a deuce really has in contact with pavement on NDCC's in normal use, no wonder the tires wear out so fast.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

coyotegray

January 16th, 2010..

Gents:

I can testify that the tread grooving pattern that Booger has selected above just about perfectly duplicates the original NDT's (yes, NDT's) that the Swiss Army had applied to my 1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog S404.114, and there was and is nothing to compare to the handling and traction the original tires gave me on wet pavements and in mud (not enough snow in this part of Texas to count). The Unimog would handle better then most civillian trucks on wet pavement, even against more aggressively grooved tires, and she would reach a higher top speed then she does now with the German Army Uniroyals which have more of a block tread pattern...
That grooving pattern will make your NDCC's into a different beast, but I doubt if anything will do much for the mileage on NDCC's on road use (total mileage over life of tires). It impresses me how little tire surface a deuce really has in contact with pavement on NDCC's in normal use, no wonder the tires wear out so fast.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D
Like these....?

Andy..

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks