• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

a couple questions about the deuce

leprochaunking12

hello there,
im a little new to the deuce and i was wondering how reliable they are? im looking into buying one for everyday use as another "car" and wondered if they broke down a lot or not. and also, how expensive are the parts if it does break down?

thanks a lot
rob

scooter01922

Well, if you do your maint, they are very reliable. That said i wouldn't get one for a daily driver. Parts are generally easy to get and generally reasonably priced. Although there are some expensive pieces here and there.

leprochaunking12

thank you very much. i know its probably not the smartest vehicle to drive everyday to work and back but i just want one really bad and knowing that it is very reliable i think im gunna get one anyhow :grin:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No such thing as a reliable 40 year old truck. They are deteriorating every day. Drive it for fun, not for daily use. You will be disapointed, unless you get to know them well and do an extensive rebuild.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't discourage anybody from getting one, they are way cool, and I love mine. But I would think twice about using it as your daily driver. Most of these trucks are old, very old. And not up to the safety standards of modern cars. The biggest safety factor is the brakes, there is no secondary circuit like modern cars have. One good leak and you have nothing to stop you except for the soccer moms minivan in front of you (remember these things weigh in at a mere 13000# compared to about 2000 to 3000 for a car). Get one because they are cool, drive it on weekends, and do your maintenance and inspections on it, but seriously think twice about using it for a daily commute.

2Deuces wild

How well it's taken care of is the key to anything you drive. Maintenance is the key. You will find the first year you will be fixing the things that were missed or over looked in the routine maintenance. Fuel filers, oil change, 22 quarts two filters, not a small job. Radiator flush, 4 gallons of 100% fleeted heavy duty antifreeze 4 gallons of water, again a big job. What to do with all the antifreeze and oil? Big bucket needed. Tork rod bushings, All 12. Axle leaks. You get Idea. But it comes down to a love for the truck more than the cost of parts.
Its a want more than a need. It depends on what you want:-D I love my truck and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I agree with DH. Unless you spend a month+ on going through the brakes, bearings, electrical sys, and motor, I wouldn't think it would be a good DD.

GoldComet6

How far is your daily commute? If it's short and easy each way (10 miles?) then it might be okay, with more regular maintenance of course.

On the other hand if you'll be driving 30 or 40 miles each way, in stop-n-go traffic, I'd say you'll be better picking another vehicle.

Plus, will you want to drive it when it's pouring rain, snowing or when you have several errands to take care of after work?

I have a car with a 5 speed & cable clutch and IT can get tiring to drive in very bad stop-n-go traffic and I've got comfy seats & AC!! So...I would think a Deuce would be tiring to drive everyday. As long as you're willing to live with everything that's been said so far...go for it!! :-D

Just my thoughts.....

Brock Steel

I have to agree with DH and DW this is not a everyday driver. It's a great toy. Get a nice gas sipper and enjoy your truck on weekends. I drive 65 miles 1 way to work and I have to be there at 5 am. the drive would take 2 hours one way, Arggggga

Last edited:

toddm

I love my Duece, but unless I had to (for a short time only) would it ever be my daily driver. I only put on about 600 miles a year and still change the oil, filters re pack the wheel bearings and generally fix anything that looks or feels out of place. That said I really like the looks on peoples faces when I drive it through town. In my mind it's not really practical to take it to Walgreens or any other small parking lot, even though I would have no problem parking there.

Attachments

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cab is 10-20 degrees hotter than outside due to no insulation gainst the heat blast from the engine and somewhat from many small air leaks. You can do something about most of the air leaks.

The fuel mileage is not a concern.

Things break without warning or just go bad..
In 20,000 miles, I have had to repair or replace:
radiator
coolant hoses
alternator
batteries
headlamp and other lamps
flame heater nozzle
flame heater coil
flame heater spark plug
10 tires
copper line from the air compressor to the tank (repair)
3 outer axle seals
parking brake handle assy
seat chushions (repaired)
exhaust manifold gasket
door hinges
windshields
wiper arms and blades
fix 6 flats
turbo oil return gasket
both front axle grease boots
wire to the temperature sender
oil pressure sender
exhaust pipe gaskets
radiator cap
door handle latch assy
fuel and oil filters (twice)
air filter
change oil (three times)
change drivetrain lube (twice)
head gaskets should be replaced due to an oil leak but I am putting it off.
I suspect one injector is weak at idle/low load - fine uner load
battery terminal clamps
batteries
u-joint bolts
parking brake spring

One would tink this was good maintenance. is it?

I take long road trips with it, maybe 2-3 K miles. If certain of these things happens when 1000 miles from home or any distance from a parts store or in extreme cases a diesel shop, best to have a reserve of finances.

On the 2007 trip, being limited by time, tools, and shelter, I drove 470 miles to memphis equipment in TN with a blown exhaust gasket and fumes in the cab. (this can be partly mitigated by opening both front windows and closing all other windows to ram fresh air into the cab) Some might now say it was not necessary and I should have replaced the gasket there, but the consensus of those on this board at that time was that it would be better to get the truck to memphis, since that was much closer than home. This exercise is known as an adventure. It's what road trips can turn into. Cranetruck has had one or two adventures as well, and he was fortunately able to fix his truck on the spot at the cost of a few days delay. See that thread..

I have driven it in rush hour traffic 25 miles each way. It is no fun due to stop and go as well as the many stupid people who should not be permitted to own a vehicle much less drive one.

Maintenance is a constant job if the deuce is to be used for daily driving. These things are old and daily driving would indicate some time each weekend for diligent PMCS. Failure to provide that level of attention will eventually result in the truck being FORD.

If you have completely rebuilt the truck, then how much of this applies? Everything's cool till the monster truck stops running and you have to get it home.

Just throwing some things out there.

KaiserM109

I wouldn't discourage anybody from getting one, they are way cool, and I love mine. But I would think twice about using it as your daily driver. Most of these trucks are old, very old. And not up to the safety standards of modern cars. The biggest safety factor is the brakes, there is no secondary circuit like modern cars have. One good leak and you have nothing to stop you except for the soccer moms minivan in front of you (remember these things weigh in at a mere 13000# compared to about 2000 to 3000 for a car). Get one because they are cool, drive it on weekends, and do your maintenance and inspections on it, but seriously think twice about using it for a daily commute.
Ditto !!

While driving my M109 home from Ft.Riley I went through Manhattan, KS in heavy afternoon traffic. I pulled into a turn lane with lots of head-on traffic and the brake pedal went “Clank” on the floorboards. I can still see the face of a guy driving a brand new Chevy PU; I think he popped his eye balls out.

I yanked on the wimpy parking brake and steered for the center island, making a conscious decision as to which signs I would take out. The front axle went over the curb with a bounce, the second axle popped up, then the third started up but settled back down backwards.

It turned out that there was almost a pint of water in the air brakes. Now I do 2 things. First I drain the tanks when I shut it down, just like the manual says. Second, if the truck has sat for a while, when I get in to go somewhere I pump up the tanks and drain them until I get dry air. It is surprising how often I get water.

Daily driver, NO, weekend driving FUN.

Brock Steel

Right on OPCOM. I would never call my truck reliable, my bus has 398,000 miles on it and its never had a valve cover off. We just enjoy the truck, Fixing it is part of the challenge of ownership.
It's a never ending cycle of fun and fixing. Once you get use to it you will have a blast.

Attachments

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

I agree with those that said "weekend fun truck". A short daily drive to work might be OK, but you need to consider the cost of fuel. A Deuce as a daily driver is not fuel efficient. Just my 2cents!

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is more to consider than the cost of fuel : registration is dirt cheap, insurance is dirt cheap, and no speeding tickets. Those three things alone make driving the Deuce cheaper than my Toyota. Add to that , no more running to the body shop everytime a shopping cart bumps into the vehicle and you're ahead of the game.
Alex

Last edited:

SasquatchSanta

Speddmon wrote:

KaiserM109 wrote --- concerning speddmon's quote:

Ditto !!
While driving my M109 home from Ft.Riley I went through Manhattan, KS in heavy afternoon traffic. I pulled into a turn lane with lots of head-on traffic and the brake pedal went “Clank” on the floorboards. I can still see the face of a guy driving a brand new Chevy PU; I think he popped his eye balls out.

I yanked on the wimpy parking brake and steered for the center island, making a conscious decision as to which signs I would take out. The front axle went over the curb with a bounce, the second axle popped up, then the third started up but settled back down backwards.

It turned out that there was almost a pint of water in the air brakes. Now I do 2 things. First I drain the tanks when I shut it down, just like the manual says. Second, if the truck has sat for a while, when I get in to go somewhere I pump up the tanks and drain them until I get dry air. It is surprising how often I get water.

Daily driver, NO, weekend driving FUN.

I'm going to have a hard time writing this without getting on the wrong side of a few people which is something I do not wish to do but IMHO opinion we need to THINK about what you're putting out on the world-wide-web before we post. When a post is made on SS it's not like writing a private letter to uncle Fenwick --- we're publishing to the world for all to see. Our enemys as well as you friends have access to this content. Every once n a while I come across a post that alarms me. This time they came in twos.

I'm sure that Speddmons comments were noble and from the heart but the analogy about the soccer mom and the mini van made me cringe. (no offense Speddmon). My first thought was "Oh God, I hope our enemys don't read this" for had I been a laymon reading the post I would have come away feeling that the deuce brakes are unsafe.

Yes, if you have a leak that depletes the brake fluid you are going to lose your brakes but for the sake of clarification this does not mean, nor do I feel that Speddmon insinuated, that the stock brakes are unsafe. Having said this, I submit that even with the lack of redundancy on the stock deuce brakes, when properly maintained and serviced they were/are indeed safe. Before you disagree with me first take into consideration the billions of miles our parents generation drove single system trucks with very little problems then they were properly maintained.

When another member (enter KaiserM109) immediately follows up with a juicy war story about how he lost his brakes on a 13,000 pound vehicle in heavy traffic, jumped the curb and scared the guy in the new pickup in front of him it doesn't help the image of the hobby in fact it could be harmful if the right bureaucrat, advocacy group or insurance company exec were to find very many of these posts.

I've got a 56 year M37 and a 42 year old M35 sitting in my drive way that have been rebuilt and are safe and reliable to the point that I would not be afraid to drive them on the public highways from coast to coast. The wild card to safety is making sure the brakes and other systems are rebuilt and safe BEFORE taking them out on the public highways. This is a responsibility that shouldn't be skirted by anyone. I don't buy in to anyone bringing their newly won MV home from a recovery mission on a mechanical wing and prayer. If you're not sure it it's safe either tow it or have it hauled. Least we forget, some of us members have soccer mom daughters out there in minivans.

Am I saying that safety issues should not be discussed? Absolutely not! --- quite the opposite. As a group we need to be on top of safety issues and IMHO opinion we should police ourselves to the point of challenging members that aren't.

We need to be mindful that half-baked perceptions about lacking safety of MVs and off-hand comments about how the heavier vehicle always has the tight of way might someday end up causing the government to stop selling MVs to the private sector or worse yet --- get them completely banned.

My apoligies in advance if I've offended anyone and also for temporarily hijacking this thread.

As far as using the deuce as a daily driver "absolutely not --- especially in city traffic." I bought my deuce to be a daily driver and spent several thousand dollars domesticating it. Now, I doubt if I drive it 500 miles a year. In this climate they take too long to warm up AND where are you going to get insurance when you use them as a daily driver? If one of you guys that say you are using your deuce as a daily driver has found insurance that covers DD usage please let me know where I can get some. Don't forget --- your insurance carrier is quite capable of browsing through this site. I'd sure hate for my carrier to do so and determine the majority of their customers are gaming the system (if they are) and decide to no longer cover MVs. In other words --- think before you post.

I know this is a bit prickly BUT it IS RESPECTFULLY submitted.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks