• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A nubbie needs help

olivestump

I finally got my first deuce today its at fort hood. doesn't start and i live in Florida. would like to tow it too a local shop near fort hood so they can get it running and safe for me to drive the 1300 miles home, Any ideas???

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yellow pages for towing services or maybe a member outside of the Hood can grab it for you. There's no guarantee that it can be made to run by a local shop. Any idea what's wrong? If you went off of the GL description, could be anything from a disconnected battery to a ventilated block. There are many deuces for sale in FL that could have been driven home. Good luck with your submergence into the MV world.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you plan on having someone else do your work for you, I hope you have deep pockets. You should think about having it hauled home and we can help you get it running by on-line help.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
See if one of our members can get it off base for you and store it. They may also be able to look it over and tell you what the truck needs. Don't have it towed to a shop unless you are darn sure of their honesty (recommended by someone you trust).

Depending on what you find out, you will know if you are getting it fixed and driving it home or getting it shipped.

Good luck with the addiction. There is no cure....

olivestump

Yellow pages for towing services or maybe a member outside of the Hood can grab it for you. There's no guarantee that it can be made to run by a local shop. Any idea what's wrong? If you went off of the GL description, could be anything from a disconnected battery to a ventilated block. There are many deuces for sale in FL that could have been driven home. Good luck with your submergence into the MV world.
they said it does power up with jump?
didn't find any deuces if Florida.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think there are no less than 5 here in the classifieds. No worries, here's what usually happens.
1) Soldier C stumbles onto the GL Site
2) Soldier C is stunned at what these big trucks are selling for during the auction.
3) Soldier C gets caught up in bidding at the close of the auction
4) Soldier C wins auction for what seems like a pittance
5) Soldier C then starts to consider the ramifications of what just happened.
6) Soldier C starts researching the vehicle and gets directed to Steel Soldiers via web search
7) Soldier C then receives enlightenment

This may not be you but it is quite a few members.

two.fiveM35

Get it shipped... Even if it was in great condition, anything could go wrong in those 1300 miles, and you won't find parts a ABC auto parts. You would also need a chiropractor when you got it home.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd say you'd be doing good if you can get it shipped for $1,500. You're likely to spend about half that in fuel if you drive it home. That's not counting any problems you encounter.

At the very least you need to have somebody inspect the truck that knows what they are doing before you even think about driving it home.

I do find it odd that nobody would even think about buying a old late '60s early '70s Chevy pickup, that had been sitting it somebody's back yard for no telling how long, and hoping in and driving half way across the country. Yet they will do it in an old army truck. To each his own I guess but things can turn into a nightmare real fast in one of these old trucks 100s of miles away from home.

hionthemountain

That's a long way home,

I am fighting this disease and so far I
have not made a purchase. Funny thing the more
I read about these trucks the less I want to jump into
them, me thinks right now, fuel cost is just too high and
all I want is something big to drive down the streets to intimidate
the drivers who drive like there is no tomorrow . . . I like driving slow and
taking my time , so I think a big deuce would help me get my point across but,
is it all worth it ?? I will let you know if I can't find a cure . . . . . Good Luck with
your truck . . .

Last edited:

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you didn't find any deuces for sale in Florida (I know of several that are only 4 HOURS AWAY, and running!), you are gonna have a helluva time with one out of TX. Unless money is no object, you might want to consider selling that one to a local in TX. The transportation cost alone will be between 3 and 4K. I have done a LOT of recoveries, and even a flat-tow of that distance is something I would shy away from. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

johnh uk

People thought I was crazy driving mine home (205 miles) You have a lot to consider especialy Tyres, your first contact with the road ! I bet the batteries are just about fuba'd and the fuel maybe past it's best ? Oh the joys of the Big Green Machine !
Good luck Mate :grin:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine has made 3 long trips (over 1K ea). I know my truck and it's quirks. I am not crazy about doing that long of trips just because IF something did happen it COULD get real expensive real fast. (I also do them hauling a ton of tools and parts too!).:driver:

dmetalmiki

wow.. tiz! to be hoped you did some seriouse reading (up) of the TMs. Transport it, then work at your liesure (and safely!) in your back yard. This sounds like taking plain and simple "pot luck" and that is what it is actually. (it might it might not) NOT worth the risk. I would have thought a truck nearer home and up and running from a ss member would have been the way to go..(as) the purchase price plus transporting would about equel to that?
Not saying good luck..that shouldn't come into it..just keep us informed of your progress and the outcome.

olivestump

Ok after reading all of this and talking to several others its obviously not a good idea to drive my first one home over 1300 miles so i have decided to buy one local and i drove it home 40 miles and had some issues but now its all good and i love it.

I can tell the most important tool in the tool box is the web address to ss.

Thanks.:doghead:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks