• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A0-A1 seat swap

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 93 M998 has the original (A-0) front seats, I have a set of A1 seats and all the necessary components for the commander side.
I also picked up a drivers seat base from AMG.
seat base.JPG
The footprint looks to be much different than the original and the parts TM does not seem to be any help, does this simply bolt down to the floor?
Seems like it could tear loose fairly easy.

Action

it gets braces that look like these. Just with mounting holes in different spots. The fire extinguisher bracket also mounts to these braces. Some HMMWV have a flat plate under the body, too.
The commander (RH) seat has longer studs on the bottom. Use the metal plate that is supposed to be between the seat and battery cover, as well as the additional piece on the back of the battery box to hold the seat in place.

1612827521100.png

springer1981

looks like ideally I need an install "kit"
I did the change with a kit and although you could make something yourself, the kit is designed to add reinforcements to the floor for the seat. It wasn't simple but it wasn't hard either.

badgerd

Electronic Jedi
Read the MWO, it gives you all of the part numbers for the "missing" brackets and hardware you need to complete the install. There's 2 brackets on the floor (some say use reinforcement plates, others say no) and also a "riser" bracket that goes between the base and seat that goes on top of the slider.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read the MWO, it gives you all of the part numbers for the "missing" brackets and hardware you need to complete the install. There's 2 brackets on the floor (some say use reinforcement plates, others say no) and also a "riser" bracket that goes between the base and seat that goes on top of the slider.
Thanks, I am on the hunt for the brackets, I am going to see if I can eliminate the riser as I do not need the seat to get nearly that high, the seats are over at the Amish (yes we have an Amish community in Bee county TX) to get re-upholstered so I cannot try fit them to the base at this time.

badgerd

Electronic Jedi
Black Dog Customs was the only place I found the brackets when I was looking, they're almost as expensive as . Ended up finding a base local with the brackets and abandoned the "buy it from AM General" plan that I had.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Black Dog Customs was the only place I found the brackets when I was looking, they're almost as expensive as . Ended up finding a base local with the brackets and abandoned the "buy it from AM General" plan that I had.
Thanks! BD is actually cheaper than the quote I got from the Hummer Guy, still looking though!

Last edited:

papakb

When I did my commanders seat upgrade the kits weren't available so I bolted the seat directly to the floor after removing the right angle floor brackets and turning them around. Underneath I just used so 1" strap stock aluminum to prevent the bolts from pulling thru the floor if I had an accident.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks